“Very Pleasant Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Dublin, Ireland
“Very Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

I enjoyed a really lovely weekend in a very wet Chester recently when I stayed with my partner at this hotel. There were two outstanding things about this establishment. Firstly the location is excellent for exploring the city on foot. You really are a stone throw from "the Rows" and the Cathedral. Secondly the breakfast is terrific - all the standard fare ranging from full English to continental but the thing that really impressed me was the perfectly poached eggs served promptly to your table. I also found the staff were very helpful and courteous.

The hotel parking was a bit tricky....perhaps it was just the weekend of the Jubliee or perhaps Chester is difficult at the best of times but getting your car into the hotel's limited lot seems a bit of a lottery. The only other annoyance was lack of convenient power points in the room. Not only did I have to push a double seat sofa out of the way to plug in my phone charger but the room's kettle didn't have a dedicated socket either. On top of that the kettle's lead was so short it had to be left on the the floor while in use. - Small details....but all fixable Crowne Plaza

Overall however a pretty good experience

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Cheltenham, England.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

I am writing this from this hotel whilst I am staying here. I have paid a lot of money to be in this hotel and they want me to pay £7 per day for wifi access. This is disgusting knowing all other major chains I stay in offer it free.

Stay somewhere else on principle!!

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank onthepiste
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

My husband booked this 1 nights stay for myself and my mum in an executive club room...He paid £185 which included use of the executive club lounge which meant that all soft drinks/tea/coffee where free all day and from 5-8 the bar was opened and you could help yourself to canapés too!!! This was a lovely surprise as he hadn't told us,it made our trip really special!!!
The only unfortunate part was that we had booked through laterooms.com,and we'd requested a twin room which was not allocated to us,we had to have a double instead...We did complain and they delivered a complimentary bottle of wine to our room,that was very much appreciated but having twin beds would of been preferred!!!!

Room Tip: Check booking if you book with laterooms.com or booking.com as requests for certain rooms are not al...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

We booked the Crowne Plaza through 'Booking.com' as we arrived at the Crowne Plaza we found the building looked a bit shabby on the outside which was disappointing however when we entered the building it was lovely. We checked in and made our way to the room upon which we was welcomed with a pack which had details about the room and an advertisement of an offer running from the 27th of May until the 2nd of September 2 nights bed, breakfast and evening meal for £229 we paid £226 for 2 nights room only. We made our way to reception to see how we could transfer to this deal, the first receptionist didn't even know the deal was on and passed me on to her manager to discuss I advised we have booked through 'Booking.com' upon which the mood changed I was told in no uncertain terms that nothing could be done, when I said I was not made aware of the deal through 'Booking.com' who guarantee to give the best rate and this seemed to be a bit unfair I was told that it is not fair that I booked through 'Booking.com' instead of booking through the hotel I was informed that the hotel has to pay horrendous commission charges I was told by the receptionist that I should have booked through them direct and basically .as I had used 'Booking.com' it was tough however what they could offer me is a £36 voucher for £45 worth of food, talk about adding insult to injury !!! Before my booking I had checked the Crowne Plaza website and there is no mention of this deal and by booking through 'Booking.com' I had only got a slightly better deal, I have since checked the Crowne Plaza website and there is still no details about this offer so unless you have the ability to second guess how would you ever know it was on!!! This was a real dampener, times are hard at the moment so knowing you could have paid and extra £3.00 to cover breakfast and evening meals was a real downer. The hotel well our room looked like the bed had not been made, the room was boiling we had to have the aircon on all night, the pillows are like lead and the window ledge was dirty, the water on the Saturday night was cold and the shower is like showering under a dribble, the plugs are under the unit so you have boil the kettle on the floor and crawl under a dusty unit to plug in your hairdryer then bend down to dry your hair, I used their hairdryer thinking that the wire might be longer, no such luck I felt maybe we were given a room that was worthy of a 'Booking.com' customer !! I have stayed in better Travelodges . I am very disappointed both with the hotel and 'Booking.com' I feel very let down with the customer service we recieved the receptionist just wanted to sell vouchers and get us to join 'Priority Members' which we did, this allows you have a late check out of 2pm my husband went to pay the bill at 10am this morning and said we would be checking out in about an hour or so, within 2 mins of paying the bill I got a message on the TV to say we had checked out, the tv then went dead, check out was done!! We packed up a left - will I return doubt it !!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank JudithChalmers_9
cumbria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights 31/5 and 1/6 in a King Size Exec room on a Dinner, Bed and Breakfast rate of £175.00 per night.
The entrance does not do the hotel justice as it is covered by the concrete canopy of the hotel car park. Once inside the fabulous chandelier dominates reception. All the staff are very friendly and knowledgeable.
Our 3rd floor exec room was nearest to the lifts but we didn't hear a peep from the lift or passing guests from inside.
The bed was massive ! At least 8' maybe 9' wide. The little extras really made us feel valued and there was a genuine passion for quality of service , chocolates, complimentary sparkling and still water each day but the best little extra was the relaxing pillow fragrance and aromatherapy roll on to apply to pulse points at bed time.
Plenty of storage space if you're staying for a couple of nights.
Exec lounge was quite small but tastefully decorated, with a work station, tv, daily newspapers , and a choice of canapés , bottled Fosters, bottled Carlesberg, red wine, chilled white wine, a good selection of sparkling and still water, J2o, coke, diet coke and ( if it's your thing ) WKD , although the stocks if WKD appeared to be untouched during our stay, I think tinned Gordon's G and T and other ready mixed gin / whisky/ vodka or rum drinks would appeal more to the clientele. Generous hours 5pm til 8pm. Gina who kept our glasses charged was lovely , very knowledgeable in respect to the area and a credit to the hotel.
The gym was small but ideally equipped for a quick cardio session before heading up to the lounge and again attention to detail with a fridge full of chilled face towels were very refreshing after 30 mins on the treadmill! The pool is small but the temperature perfect and I loved sitting in the jacuzzi basking in the sunshine from the glass atrium.
The food was excellent. The DBB provided us with a £23.00 allowance. On my first night I had the duck starter which I'm sure comprised a whole duck breast lightly forked and served warm. Delicious. I tried to be good on the 1st night and opted for the 'fish' salad. The fish was a large salmon fillet served warm draped in asparagus. I washed it down with a very nice chocolatey merlot at £6.50 for a large glass , mmmmmm !
My husband had the ham hock starter which was very good and the mixed grill which was so good I opted for it on the second night, the quality of the meat was top class and the preparation and presentation faultless. Jack , our waiter on both nights , was great fun. There is a real , almost family like, feel to the hotel. All the staff seem very proud to be associated with the hotel and Jack seemed very proud of the hotel's reputation and standing both in the city and within the IHG ( the hotel group)
The location of the hotel is central with the tour bus station a few feet from the door and the main shopping streets only a block away. Parking was very reasonable at £7.50 per night.
I can't wait to go back. It's a bit pricey at times, if we had wanted a third night we would have been charged £220.00 for the Saturday.
And one final note to 'The Management' we observed 2 'Bosses from Head Office' in the restaurant on Thursday night. Their talk, as expected, was of cost cutting, a review of existing standards and opportunities to keenly maintain profits in a difficult climate. Your chef defended his menus and choices and would not compromise , another indication of the pride your staff have in their degree of service and how you value your customers..... Please don't change anything !
We are 2 of the 'squeezed middle' . We don't go away as often as we used to. While we used to have a weekend away every month it's now once every 3 or 4 months. I can't wait to come back to your hotel where we felt like truly valued customers. Our every requirement was anticipated and expectations surpassed. If I have 3 or 4 weekends away I want to spend a little extra of my money on being pampered and a little over indulgence. Please don't change !!

• Stayed June 2012