“Friendly Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 81 Chester B&B and Inns
North Wales
“Friendly Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Booked into the Pied Bull in the lovely City of Chester in April for 3 nights stay. I was made to feel most welcome by ALL members of Staff which is comforting when you are a lone female traveller. The Pied Bull was clean, the room comfortable and the food delicious. I can recommend the Ciabatta with Crayfish in Marie Rose Sauce with Side Salad and Crisps - scrumptious - so nice in fact I had it twice during my stay. The Pub/Hotel is central for the town centre and great for shopping. I really enjoyed my stay and would like to thank everyone of the Staff, Luke & Louise who run the place like clockwork, to Chris who served me breakfast and has worked there for 28 Years (which shows what a friendly place it is) and also Carl the owner who I met briefly but kind carried my bag down on the day of my departure. I will be back - excellent. Sally Hughes, North Wales, April 2012

Room Tip: Perhaps not a good venue for disabled as the beautiful building is Listed and the stairs a little pr...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Wrecsam, null, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Been eating at the Pied Bull every bank holiday and the occasional SUnday for the last two years. However doubt if we will again after ebservice on Easte Sunday. My husbands dinner was given to someone else by mistake.When we pointed this out the meal was taken from the wrong person and given to my husband and told he's only had a mouthful. When we complained the meal was taken away we thought to get a new one. But no the original was grout back with a little extra meat on. We knew this as there was pepper on the dinner. My husband doesn't use pepper. When we complained again we were given an e mail address to complain. A member of our party has done this and has apparently been told we are barred from eating there in future. We usually spend about £200 - £300 as there are fifteen of us. Oh well they're loss.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Janet G

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Wrexham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Had a meal at the Pied Bull with a group of friends on Easter Sunday. One friend ordered a lamb dinner & one friend ordered a beef dinner. The waitress got the dinners mixed up and was only realised after my friend had eaten some of the lamb dinner which by now was covered in salt and pepper. On realising the mistake the waitress took the lamb dinner from my friend and swapped it for the beef dinner. We complained that the dinner had already been started and a roast potato and veg had been eaten. The waitress response was that "he' only had a mouthful". They took the dinner away & returned with fresh lamb however it was still covered in the original salt and pepper minus a potato. We complained to the manager who did not want to know. We have emailed the manager at the pied bull today only to be told we are now barred. I would not recommend this pub to my worst enemy

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Paula H
Liverpool
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

From the friendliness of the staff and the warmth of the atmosphere we expected delightful food. How disappointing. The bread (virtually a loaf so they ticked the quantity rather than quality box) and oil/balsamic starter (tasted more like cooking oil than olive oil) to the 35 minute wait for pie of the day (once the crust was popped we discovered the dish was half empty) to the gammon and eggs with chips that had to be sent back to the kitchen as the chef had omitted to cook them - will never be returning.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed for one night whilst enjoying the sights of Chester. The Pied Bull was in the Camra Good Beer Guide so we thought it would be a good pub with ok rooms and the website sold it to us. The only room available was the four poster room (3).

The staff were friendly, courteous and helpful. The pub, the beer, the room and the breakfast were all distinctly average.

The blanket on our bed was dirty, the bathroom shower curtain was too short and so attacked you as you used the shower. No hairdryer unless you went down to reception. Lots of noise from other guests. I burnt my leg on the towel rail, it got dangerously hot.

Room 3 had a four poster bed, this was a divan inside a 4 poster frame. It was ok but I wouldn't pay extra for it. The room was large and had a sofa and 2 armchairs but they were a bit past it.

We parked in the market car park down the road, it cost almost £10.

Breakfast service was slow. I expected a bit better, we got 3 half slices of toast between two of us so had to fight for the final piece. The lack of attention to detail let the pied bull down across the board.

We weren't expecting 5* but I wanted a good nights sleep and a yummy breakfast, we got neither.

• Stayed April 2012