Belgrave Hotel
Chester House Guest House(Chester)(Great Value!)
US$ 102
US$ 126
Edgar House(Chester)
US$ 317
Hotels.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

Two things. 1 no lift in property and I was in attic. Room OK. 2 hole in ceiling by skylight which leaked as it was raining. TV had hardly any signal so could not watch all channels and WiFi did not always work in attic

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 October 2017 via mobile

After a hotel unacceptable to stay in, found belgrave hotel a life saver in the middle of the night!
The morning and night staff were helpful and lovely. Stayed in an apartment room which was a very big size and good for the price forsure. It was clean and spacious. Enjoyed the stay. Only criticism beds could do with new comfortable mattresses. But all in all it’s a great hotel to stay at close proximity to the chester train station.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 October 2017

This hotel is in the process of refurbishment (as at September 2017) and I think once this has been completed it will be a great place to stay. It is so close to the railway station, you can see it from the front door, and with just a short walk, you are in the middle of the city. The room we had, although spotlessly clean, had a shabby look to it, and the overall feel was that it had seen better days. The bed was very comfortable, unlike some of the more expensive places we had been staying in! The 'bones' of the place however, has much promise, and I would look forward to staying in it again once the refurb. has been completed. The food was good and the staff friendly and helpful and we left feeling quite happy. The price was good too.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

This review is written before our stay. Unfortunately it was decided this hotel was not suitable for our group staying in June 2018! I rang within 24hrs to ask for a goodwill gesture and cancel/refund the money paid with a perfectly valid explanation. The manager i spoke to was very polite and appeared to understand our predicament and stated she would be happy to cancel/refund but it had to be the owner Michelle Matthews to make the decision. Michelle has been asked by myself and booking.com to make an exception to her own policy however she refuses even though the booking is 9 months away! She would rather have unhappy guests than happy ones! Michelle was cold, rude, difficult and for a hotel owner, ignorant! We are left having to honour a booking in a hotel not suitable for us just so the owner can maintain her regime! Im sure our group will review in mire detail after our stay! From the attitude of the owner i would advise people to look elsewhere, a small independant hotel should be warm and inviting not hostile

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Martin D
Reviewed 19 October 2017

Having read the mixed reviews I was a little nervous about staying here but really glad I did. As soon as I arrived things looked promising – the receptionist couldn't have been more friendly and efficient & check-in took all of 30 seconds.

Although the room (a single) was small, it had everything I needed, including huge fluffy white towels, spotless white sheets, telly and a generous provision of tea & coffee that was topped up daily. (Lots of places that cost considerably more are far stingier.)

I agree with a previous review that the plug-in air-freshener was a little overpowering, but I simply switched it off and opened the window for a few minutes.

The location was also perfect. It's just a few minutes from the station and a short walk into town along the canal, so couldn't be safer if you're travelling alone.

If you're bothered by noise, then I'd suggest asking for a room at the back away from the street, and maybe on the top floor as I could hear the person above when they came in. But seeing as he was always in by 10pm, this wasn't a problem. The floodlight from the carpark of the hotel opposite also shone pretty much directly into my room, but an eye-mask dealt with this. (I'm pretty neurotic about noise & light, but with earplugs & an eyemask I slept like a log!)

In fact, for the price, the Belgrave couldn't be bettered. And it's really refreshing to find somewhere so welcoming to solo travellers - particularly those on a budget.

Room Tip: If you struggle with noise/streetlights, ask for a room on the top floor and/or at the back. Or take an eyemask / earplugs!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo