See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 February 2017

I have stayed at the Belgrave numerous times as I work at Chester Food and Drink Festival every year.

A few of this call this The Grave with affection because it's cheap and cheerful and suits our needs.

Could have a better shower, but its very cheap so can't really.

The dated decor wouldn't serve best purpose if you were looking for a romantic break. But it suits a single mans needs.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 February 2017

I booked this hotel to stay in following a midweek work night out.
The hotel is dated, and the room was basic, but clean.
I stayed in room 5 which was to the rear of the hotel.
I could feel quite a few springs through the mattress, however I slept fairly well.
The staff were all friendly - Overall this completely met my expectations. Let's be honest about this I spend £30 on a room, I wasn't expecting the Ritz. I'd stay here again and it was fine for me for one night

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank alexei332003
Reviewed 30 January 2017 via mobile

Great value stay and good location close to Chester railway station, £40 for a single room plus £5 for cooked breakfast.
However, on the advice of other reviews I requested a room at the rear of the hotel (hoping for quiet). The road at the rear of the Belgrave was busy and noisy, and additionally I was unlucky that a group of noisy lads were thumping on a door in my corridor at 0130hrs, waking me, and they carried on chatting for hours. Without those guests it would have been quieter, but in addition the room (17) was inexplicably cold compared to the otherwise warm hotel. Also the shower was entirely cold.
Apart from this I would have been happy with such an economical stay, but the roller blind in the room didn't exclude the bright streetlight immediately outside.
Ask for any room but not 17!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 January 2017 via mobile

Stayed for one night (Saturday) £50 B&B, bargain. 5 minute walk to the city centre, 100 metres from the railway station. Very basic rooms but clean and a very nice breakfast, very nice and helpful staff.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2017 via mobile

Myself and my fiance stayed at this hotel on new years eve with also my sister and her partner. From the start to end it was disgraceful! We thought it was an over priced hostel! The staff were unforgivably rude! The cleaner walked into our room in the morning shouting 'come on time to leave' when i asked her to leave she came into the room further, letting the door close behind her telling me we need to leave now! Surely this is not allowed!? We stayed in room 9.. The wallpaper was hanging off the walls due to dampness. The bed frame was broken and ripped, not to mention dirty sheets! Television was not working. The shower was not even working! Just what i needed to get ready for new years eve! We asked for an iron the receptionist said someone had it and he didn't know which room? Fire hazard much? When i went to complain in the morning, a different receptionist wouldn't even look up at me as i gave back the key! Too busy on her computer and clearly did not have care to see if her guests enjoyed their stay. Avoid this hotel at all costs!! It wasn't even cheap to stay here!! I would have been more comfortable on the streets

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple