“not nice”
Review of Belgrave Hotel

Belgrave Hotel
Ranked #41 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 26 February 2017

We found ourselves stranded in Chester on the afternoon of Storm Doris, halfway along our rail journey home all trains were cancelled until the following day. We were advised that there was a Premier Inn just down the road from the station, however they were fully booked, & directed us to the Belgrave. From the outside it looks a bit run down, so wasn't the sort of place we would choose, however we were in need of somewhere not too far from the station to stay overnight, especially as there were many others in the same situation as us.
The receptionist said there was a twin room available for £60 not including breakfast so we took it. (the previous night in a Travelodge in Llandudno had cost £30, no comparison). The room was at the front of the hotel, a decent size room, but there was an overpowering smell from a plug in airfreshner. There was a sink in the bedroom, & a separate shower & loo, the floorboards in front of the shower were rotten, & there was graffitti scratched into the bathroom doorframe, which had been painted over. No toiletries were provided other than a tiny bar of lux soap. The shower itself was feeble, & in the morning there was no hot water so we had to have a cold wash at the sink. The TV in the room was small, there was only one bedside light. There was only one thin pillow per bed, but they did get us more when we asked. The bed linen looked clean & fresh, but I'm suspicious of sheets under duvets, have the duvet covers been changed ? I didn't dare look under the sheets! The beds were quite comfortable, however I didn't sleep well due to traffic noise outside most of the night, & at 3am two police cars outside slamming their doors. Also there were street lights on all night. At 5am the occupants in the room above were up & about, the hotel seems to cater for workmen, & at 6am they were all off in their vans.
The carpet was filthy, my husband was walking around in a pair of blue socks, afterwards they were brown on the bottom of the foot.
We didn't stay for breakfast I wouldn't want to eat there, we had breakfast at the station.
I wouldn't recommend this hovel, I mean hotel to my worst enemy. £60 for a dirty smelly room, & a cold wash.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EdinaCloud

Reviewed 14 February 2017

I have stayed at the Belgrave numerous times as I work at Chester Food and Drink Festival every year.

A few of this call this The Grave with affection because it's cheap and cheerful and suits our needs.

Could have a better shower, but its very cheap so can't really.

The dated decor wouldn't serve best purpose if you were looking for a romantic break. But it suits a single mans needs.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 February 2017

I booked this hotel to stay in following a midweek work night out.
The hotel is dated, and the room was basic, but clean.
I stayed in room 5 which was to the rear of the hotel.
I could feel quite a few springs through the mattress, however I slept fairly well.
The staff were all friendly - Overall this completely met my expectations. Let's be honest about this I spend £30 on a room, I wasn't expecting the Ritz. I'd stay here again and it was fine for me for one night

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank alexei332003
Reviewed 30 January 2017 via mobile

Great value stay and good location close to Chester railway station, £40 for a single room plus £5 for cooked breakfast.
However, on the advice of other reviews I requested a room at the rear of the hotel (hoping for quiet). The road at the rear of the Belgrave was busy and noisy, and additionally I was unlucky that a group of noisy lads were thumping on a door in my corridor at 0130hrs, waking me, and they carried on chatting for hours. Without those guests it would have been quieter, but in addition the room (17) was inexplicably cold compared to the otherwise warm hotel. Also the shower was entirely cold.
Apart from this I would have been happy with such an economical stay, but the roller blind in the room didn't exclude the bright streetlight immediately outside.
Ask for any room but not 17!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 January 2017 via mobile

Stayed for one night (Saturday) £50 B&B, bargain. 5 minute walk to the city centre, 100 metres from the railway station. Very basic rooms but clean and a very nice breakfast, very nice and helpful staff.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple