“Brilliant every time!”

Chester Zoo
Ranked #1 of 100 things to do in Chester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We're the UK's number one charity zoo, with over 21,000 animals and 500 different species, including some of the most endangered species on the planet. With 1.9 million visitors every year, the zoo is an all-year round, full-day visitor attraction for everyone. We're open daily from 10am, except for Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Car parking is free and on site. Facilities for disabled visitors, including self-drive electric scooters and wheelchairs.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I have visited the zoo a few times over the years and we decided to visit again with my daughter who was too young to remember it last time. We loved it! I think this is the best zoo. I would highly recommend visiting to everyone no matter what age your children are. The animals are well cared for and loved and the staff are lovely and helpful. Plenty of toilets around, lots of places to grab a drink and a snack or picnic areas for those who take their own food. Awesome and can not wait to be back!

1  Thank AngelicRed
"packed lunch"
in 215 reviews
"great family day"
in 192 reviews
"plenty of places to eat"
in 137 reviews
in 1,408 reviews
"jaguar"
in 393 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We visited yesterday and had a great day. All of the animals were stunning and could see how hard the employees work to look after them and provide enrichment. I haven't given the review 5 stars as there were a couple of things I think could be improved on. First thing is that I'm a wheelchair user and found some of the paths uncomfortable to traverse. In the newly built Islands Section the paths look beautiful made out of planks of wood which have been scored. It makes for a very bumpy ride, and one of my front wheels lodged between the planks at one point. The second thing was the queues to refill a cup. I love the idea of having a reusable cup for free unlimited refills but the reality was waiting for a minimum of 15 minutes for each refill. It weather was lovely yesterday and with it being Easter Holidays it was busy but I bet it gets even busier in the summer. More drinks kiosks are required. Apart from that we loved it. The kids had an amazing time too. We have some amazing photos and memories.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Had a brilliant day at the zoo this week. Our ages range from 78 to 10 and we all loved it. Loads to see and really well arranged. Very easy to get around. Weather not great but we still saw nearly everything. The bat area, giraffes and elephants were our favourites! Easy to get to from Chester station and plenty of coffee shops and snack stations!

1  Thank PurpleRain26
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Enjoyed our day, however we were disappointed that we couldn't see all the animals as they weren't visible (perhaps in private indoor areas). I understand that it is important for the animals to have space away from visitors; it is just disappointing after paying a lot of money to see them! My 3 year old really enjoyed the monorail and this was a great experience for him. I agree with a previous reviewer that suggested live video screening of animals in private enclosures if not accessible to visitors. Due to this, I think we will stick with visiting our local zoo in Blackpool as the animals are more visible to visitors.

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Even though 13,000 people visited yesterday so it took half an hour to drive the last mile, we had a lovely time. What I really want to write about is the customer service. I had bought monorail passes for 2 adults and 2 children, not a small amount at £14 in total but we were unable to use them due to the long queues. At the end of the day I approached guest services ready for a fight to get my money back but the lady immediately agreed to give me my money and said she'd had to give others theirs back too....all done with a smile. The staff were always lovely - at one point I was looking at a map and a lady asked me if she could help, the young man who served the ice cream was smiling and helpful despite the massive queues of stressed parents, the 'elephant' expert was friendly and had great Q & A's for the kids and at the end of a long day the gift shop assistant still was chatty and smiley. All in all a great day out.

1  Thank Rachael105