“Lovely hotel, but with some reservations” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Frome, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, but with some reservations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here for our anniversary. First thing to say is about the hotels location, which is a little under 2 miles from the city centre...the distance would put off those without deep pockets for taxis, or strong legs for walking. There are buses, but if you miss one it is a 20 min wait. It took us 30 mins to walk in.

The grounds and the old part of the building are beautifully kept. The bulk of the bedrooms are on modern extensions to the main building, but despite this they tie in nicely with the rest of the building.

The hotel describes itself as 'boutique', and this does apply but in a limited way. There is plenty of lovely artwork on the walls, and lovely furniture throughout. I especially liked the giant spider painting in the bar. I would expect individually decorated bedrooms, but they all seemed to be of similar colour schemes, with grey walls and purple/brown trimmings.

Our room was a cut above the normal business travel hotel, with a lovely bed, nice furniture and a small but gorgeous bathroom with a wonderful separate shower. I did get a bit warm at night, the lack of air con didn't help on the muggy night we had. I noticed there was a fan, but it would have only circulated warm air around. Once I nodded off though, it was a good nights sleep. The bedlinen was of excellent quality, but I felt my pillow was too soft. There were no spares to use as an alternative. This is a personal taste thing, but I would have liked to have one or two more to hand if needed. The staff happily brought an iron and ironing board to the room, as there was none in the room.

Free wifi is available throughout the hotel and the staff would happily dish out vouchers for the wifi for as many devices as you have. Very useful to do research on the city. It was a good speed and good enough to watch the iplayer/you tube etc.

Late at night I managed to watch the football highlights. Although the tv was a good size the service is not HD, and has the usual standard menu options that you get in Holiday Inn, Ramada etc I think the supplier of these tv's should upgrade soon, as they are now fuzzy compared with what is available for the home (a minor thing I know).

Food and Drink. We didn't eat at the hotel in the evenings, as we chose to dine in Cambridge. However the breakfast was very good, with a great choice of fruit, muesli, granola, yoghurt, cereal, juice, toast, croissant etc for the continental option My wife said her English breakfast was OK. I had the sublime smoked haddock and poached eggs two days in a row. It was quite excellent, especially with the granary toast. When we did look at the menu, the description of the food put my wife off, as she prefers plain speaking dishes without a lot of fussy description, sauces and ingredients she doesn't like. I would eat most things (apart from aubergines) so the menu seemed ok to me, but anticipated my wife's misgivings about it. See my reviews about Don Pasquales and the St John's Chophouse for examples of great eateries in Cambridge.

We had no need to complain about anything, and when we needed help the staff were very happy to accommodate. When I saw some surly chap complaining about soggy chips to the very kind receptionist, she handled it professionally and swiftly.

My main gripe about the hotel was the lack of leisure activities. You are a long way from the city centre, so they need to have something there for the residents to do other than enjoy the grounds, bar and restaurant would be nice. They do have a massage service that comes to your room on request, but I would have preferred to have access to a pool/gym/spa facility. The grounds seemed big enough to accommodate this, and for me this would have been a big win, as I like to swim.

Overall though it was a very nice hotel, with great staff, who should be proud of their work and the hotel as a whole. Get that gym/pool area sorted and get it right, and it would be nudging an excellent for me.

Room Tip: We had room 95 in the far corner, opposite the sports fields. Very little noise from the fields, or...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Thank you for your review. Being so close to Cambridge, we are very fortunate to be surrounded by beautiful trees and landscaped gardens and we make every effort to keep our lawns well-manicured.

We are proud of our eclectic collection of art and I’m glad that you liked the painting of the spider in the Bar… rather a Marmite work of art and certainly a topic of conversation!

With the exception of the bedrooms in the main part of the hotel, which have high ceilings, the majority of our rooms are fairly similar in décor. Some have individual, bespoke wall paper, which differentiates them from our other bedrooms. We rarely get complaints about pillows, but I do appreciate your comments. Firmer pillows are available to guests upon request. Air conditioning is another valid comment and this is something that we are considering very seriously at the moment.

Thank you also for raising the point about the television in your room. This matter has already been raised with our Operations Manager, who is due to meet shortly with our TV and systems supplier.

I also appreciate your comments regarding leisure facilities at Hotel Felix, which I have passed onto our General Manager for consideration. Whilst we don’t have a pool, there are some lovely walks nearby, including the woodland grounds of nearby Girton College, or the short walk into the City centre, which takes about 30 minutes. Great for stretching the legs…and saves on petrol and parking!

Thank you for your final comment, which means an awful lot to everyone working at Hotel Felix. Our team work incredibly hard to ensure that we treat all of our guests individually and in a polite, helpful and friendly manner. I’m so glad that they made your stay a memorable one.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Korean first
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

Good:
Design, feel of rooms, bathrooms, bed linen, mattress, tv etc. Breakfasts. Fan in room. White Company products.

Less good:
Location - a long walk from the town centre.
Room very hot and was surprised there was no air conditioning.

Would definitely return - this was my 2nd visit. Great for romantic breaks but also for business (free wifi, good desk). One of my favourite hotels and certainly the best I've tried in Cambridge.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
We're delighted that you chose to stay with us again and that you enjoyed your visit to Cambridge. We're flattered by your comments… thank you so much!

Whilst we can't do much about our location, a mile from the centre of town, we have plenty of free parking. Guests staying at Hotel Felix can catch a bus into Cambridge from the top of our road or take a short taxi ride, which can be cheaper than parking in town.

Thank you for your prompt regarding air conditioning.This is something that we are currently looking into.
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

We stayed at Hotel Felix as a family in May for my fathers 70th birthday. My mother booked the rooms and a meal for all of us in advance.

When we arrived we were very impressed as it looked beautiful! I was a bit disappointed that there was no airconditioning which I would expect from a 4* hotel- unfortunately our room was on the sunny side of the hotel on the hottest day of summer so far, and it was nearly impossible to cool it down (despite borrowing an extra fan from my sisters room). I was a bit annoyed that no effort seemed to have been made to cool the room down at all before we arrived, the curtains were open and the window was only open a tiny crack! It was absolutely baking, and we'd been out in the sun all day at Duxford- so really wanted somewhere cool to relax before dinner.

The room was very nice- comfy large bed, lots of space, tea making facilities and a lovely bathroom. The rest of the hotel was also very pleasant- nice garden areas, the terrace bar and the Grafitti restaurant (not to everyones tastes maybe but I liked it!).

The only real problem that we experienced was during our evening meal as the two baked cod meals came out luke warm and undercooked, and there was a blue elastic band in the spinnach. When paying on check out, we negotiated some money off the bar bill to compensate, and the staff were helpful and apologetic.

I think this hotel has a very nice atmosphere (which I think we may have ruined by being a bit over-spirited!!) and is in a good location, but I'm not sure it's 4* worthy.

Room Tip: On a hot day, ensure you have a room in the shade!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Clarebunny
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Firstly, thank you so much for choosing Hotel Felix for your Father's 70th Birthday celebrations. In hindsight, I think that the warm weather must have taken our housekeeping team by surprise. They usually make a point of ensuring that windows are open and curtains are slightly drawn in order to ensure that our rooms are kept cool and aired. I apologise that this was not the case when you arrived.

I am glad that you highlighted the problem you experienced with your evening meal upon checking out. As you say, it gave us the opportunity to put things right.

On behalf of the team at Hotel Felix, we do hope that your Father had a very Happy Birthday!
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

I used to live in Cambridge, which is well known for its overfull, mediocre hotels. However, Hotel Felix is one of the very best - arguably the best, aside from its location.

I've stayed here a few times. The hotel is spacious with attractive gardens. On my latest trip the room was (as usual) stylishlish decorated and comfortable; the bathroom equally good; my room was also unusually quiet (though it may be that the adjacent rooms were unoccupied).

Breakfast was very good - both the porridge, and the toast, which was perhaps the best I've ever had in a hotel (thickly sliced homemade-seeming bread rather than supermarket sliced). The buffet was fine but could have a bigger choice. Service was efficient.

The only downside, but a significant one for many, is the location: Hotel Felix is on the edge of Cambridge, whereas the other good hotels (of which there are about two!) are in the centre. It's also on the opposite side of the city from the train station. So it isn't a great location for visiting tourists.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bf99
Suzanne R, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
We are delighted to be referred to as ‘Probably the best hotel in Cambridge’. What an honour, thank you so much! It’s good to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Due to their location, our bedrooms are nice and quiet and we usually get positive feedback in this respect. We’re also pleased that you like our toast…thick so much nicer than thin.

With plenty of free parking, Hotel Felix is perfect for a weekend of relaxation. Whilst we are slightly out of town, there are plenty of buses which stop at the top of our road and it’s a five minute ride into town. If you were to arrive by train, it’s good to point out that you would also have to catch a bus into the City Centre, otherwise a 30 minute walk.
Hadlyme CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

I've stayed in at least a couple dozen hotels in the UK over the years, and this is clearly one of the best. Two things liked about it are (1.) it's in a quiet section of town, about a mile from the center of Cambridge, and (2) its staff is well trained and friendly. The food is good. We had a dinner and three breakfasts and no complaints about quality or service. The staff is particularly helpful. They are pretty young, which often means not well trained, but that's not the case at the Felix. When we return to Cambridge, we'll definitely stay at the Felix.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for posting your review. At Hotel Felix, we take great pride in customer service and work with people who have the right attitude and who strive to please. Yes, many are young, but it's great that they are eager and willing to learn.

We look forward very much to welcoming you when you next come to Cambridge.