“Quick, cheap and delicious ”
Review of Bibimbap House

Bibimbap House
Ranked #94 of 761 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: this restaurant is in Cambridge, UK, NOT Cambridge, USA
Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

How lucky are we to live in a city with such a great variety of places to eat? Excellent 'cheap eats' and a good range of mid-priced places. We're only really missing more high end restaurants for special occasions.

On Mill Road, we have a particularly good variety and as my wife and I are spending quite a lot of time in Addenbrookes, (another story), we often need to find somewhere close.

We've been to a few Korean restaurants before, but on our visit here, we had little time look around and to be honest, we're too old to get a drive-through burger/chicken or so forth. And on Mill Rd, who would want to go elsewhere?

The service was very polite and the food arrived quickly. I had the bulgogi and my wife went for vegetarian. Both were great and I also had a corn tea, which was unusual, but made a nice change.

So why 4 not 5? Without a doubt, the quality is excellent, but there should be a better balance between quantity and price. It's just edging towards being expensive for the ingredients used, no matter how good it tastes. And on this road, there's too much competition to give people a reason to go somewhere else.

Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

I visited this restaurant with a Korean gentleman so I think I was already going to be privileged in terms of the eating experience. It does help when someone knows what to ask for and with no language barriers etc. I hadn’t had Korean cuisine before so it was a new experience for me. In short I found the food to be very pleasant and flavourful. I love how the dishes we ordered were served sizzling hot at the table, as it really is visually appetising. The gimbap we had was vegetarian and I found it to be lovely and fresh and a nice contrast to the hot food.
I am only deducting a point for two reasons which are not food related. 1) no air conditioning which made it a difficult experience to remain comfortable on a very hot day and 2) the menus need to be reprinted as they look a little shabby.
However, all in all, it was nice and I would return.

Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

We arrived for dinner. Although Bibimbap house serves primarily bibimbap, we managed to order a couple other dishes.

1. Bimbap. This is Korean ‘sushi’. We order two types, vegetarian and tuna (See attached photos). Unlike its Japanese counterpart, the Koreans do not have raw ingredients in the bimbap (sometimes spelt as gimbap). If you are not into tinned tuna, the vegetarian version is very good. They have a pork or beef version too but we didn’t order it. I wouldn’t consider the bimbap here a side dish. The portion could easily be a main meal for me if I didn’t want a bibimbap.

2. Tokpokki is Korean street fare. Bibimbap house keeps it authentic and in this case (spice levels are high). This dish has chewy cylindrical rice cakes, Korean fish cake and a little sweet potato noodles covered in that red spicy sauce which it is cooked in. Wonder if they could dial down the heat a little? Still I enjoy spicy so it was ok for me which means ‘too hot for most’.

As for bibimbap, I prefer a beef or pork version, last night we went for the tuna kimchi and japchae version. I am not a tinned tuna fan but my friends couldn’t eat the non halal stuff. It was alright 6/10. Am pretty sure their more traditional bowls would have been better.

For simple fare, there is a lovely home-cooked feel about this place which warms my heart and I wish them every success. For the rest of you, if you decide to make a meal of it, bon appetite!

For the adventurous, they gave a good selection of Korean drinks. We tried green plum, morning rice and honey citron. We didn’t like everything but not telling you which.

Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

I have been to Bibimbap before with a Korean friend and enjoyed the experience. I have always spoken good about it until today. I went in today with two of my friends to eat something. As we are all student, we wanted to go for the cheapest option, so we took 10 mins ordering. The girl who came first gave us a few more minutes upon request but then 5 mins later the lady came (guessing the owner) We said we wanted sets of side plates eg. 3x rice 1x bulgogi x3 eggs etc. The lady sarcastically said "never heard of such a order" then walked away after also telling us to put our drinks away (which we all understood and went along with) after her terrible attitude, we decided to cancel the order and I could not help but point out how rude she was. And she told me we were rude but the only thing we had done was take 10 mins ordering and laughed a little because we were happy in general (beautiful weather in England) This was a lowering experience for all of us. We werent taken seriosuly and the lady did not hesitate to attack us out of nowhere. She also said "good idea" after we wanted to cancel. Anyway, my point is that, you can have the best food in the world but if your service is terribly rude that place is bound to be empty. Why? Because you are not hospitable. Even if we spend a £1 in your restaurant, that £1 still goes into your pocket and it makes a difference. So dont treat customers depending on how much they can spend. Lady, you are terribly rude but you can fix it.

Date of visit: April 2018
5  Thank meltemavcil
Reviewed 31 March 2018

Food is good but the choices are limited, basically just bibimbap. Hope we can have other Korean dishes here.

Date of visit: March 2018