“They made me feel like I was home.”
Review of Helen Hotel

Helen Hotel
Ranked #22 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Stella and her husband were the perfect host and hostess. They could not do enough for you. The breakfast you receive every morning was delightful and so were the girls that work there. They always had a friendly greeting for you with a beautiful smile on their faces. The work that they did was immaculate. They clean the rooms daily and they just sparkled. I just loved being there and if I ever get the chance to go back, I would definitely stay there. It is so close to so many stores and eatiries and there is also a theater nearby. Thank you, I have many fond memories.
Lynn White

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor and I loved it. Very quiet and near everything.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 November 2011

I had a need for a bed for one night and breakfast in the morning and Helen filled that need. No thrills, no frills, tiny but it was close to the train station and clean.
I had a meeting and being that Cambridge is a university town it was difficult to find 4 star type accommodation close to the business park, I could not really complain.

If you are a regular business class flyer this place is not for you, its more like premium economy i.e. 4 inches extra legroom

Room Tip: There's really not much to choose from in Cambridge.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Location wise this hotel was perfect as is only a couple of minutes walk from The Junction so no taxis required. However, our double room was incredibly small (more like a single with a double bed crammed in) and looked and smelled tired. Shower room had cracked floor tiles and cracks in the wash basin, and the shower had black mould around the door. We had asked for a room at the back to avoid road noise, and although we got it, we hadn't bargained for one in the rafters with a sloping ceiling, no fun when you are tall! Staff were pleasant and helpful and breakfast was good. Not sure was worth eighty five pounds a night.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank lindabelle66
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Stayed here for on lengthy reviews but feel this hotel deserves a detailed mention:

Location - On a main road, but a quiet, safe area near the railway station.Plenty of car parking places. Bit of a walk into the centre, but a regular bus service.

Room - large ensuite room with modern attractive furniture.Excellent range of room facilities including wardrobe,chest, bedside tables,good lighting, tea & coffee making, safe, hair dryer, flat screen TV, settee, full-length mirror, telephone, secure door lock, spare bedding, mobile fan, comfortable bed, power shower (over bath), free toileteries. Only criticism was the towels - if you want a large bath towel bring your own!

Breakfast - good service, plenty of choice (fruit, ceral, fruit juice, toast, croissants, full cooked breakfast (buffet))

Service - welcoming & friendly. Room was available at 11.00am despite being occupied the previous night.

Price - Paid £68 for 1 night B&B. A bit more than chain hotels, but well worth it for the quality of the room, facilities etc.

Overall - would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank PantherfanNottingham
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I have stayed in a number of guest houses / hotels in Cambridge over the years and this is probably one of the better ones that I have found. I was only staying for one night to see friends so just wanted somewhere near their house and fairly central if I needed to walk back from the City. There will be other hotels in the centre but this is convenient for the bus route and train station and (as I drove) was very easy to find off the A1307 / M11 junction. Bed was very comfortable, really nice en-suite (small but very clean and new) and there were tea and coffee making facilities if you wanted them. Breakfast was a buffet style and really nicely cooked with cereals and fresh juice / yoghurts / fruit also on offer with hot drinks and toast. So all - in -all for what I paid for the room (£68 single occupancy of double room) I was happy with what I got.

Only down side (and I am being a bit picky here) there was nowhere obvious to lock my bike (and I wasn't directed to anywhere / asked if I needed to......can't always remember to ask for these things. Also, it would have been nice to have been asked if everything was alright with my stay - which it was - and could have given some nice feedback on the spot - all a bit "functional" at check-in / check out - no offer to show the rooms / carry bags etc. Which I probably wouldn't have needed- but again it's the "little touches" that make all the difference.

Staff in the restaurant are really efficient and friendly / courteous at Breakfast time and it was a nice airy room with plenty of room.

All in all a good value accommodation.

Room Tip: If you are tall (like me) then I think it was worth paying a bit more for a single occupancy double...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends