“Clean and nice”

The Gonville Hotel
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I stayed at the Gonville Hotel for one night and was very pleased with it. The rooms were clean and nice and included free wifi which is a plus.
The breakfast was also very nice and included a good variety of food.
The hotel overlooks a big green area and is very close to the center of Cambridge.
It is a standard chain hotel but if you want a clean, comfortable and pleasant stay I would happily recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 February 2012

This is a great hotel, really well located in the centre of Cambridge with the bonus of its own car park. The staff were excellent and our room was modern, clean and comfortable. I wasn't intending to mention the noise, as it's not the hotel's fault - but we did ask for a quiet room. We were located at the front of the hotel overlooking the open space. This turned out to be an area where people congregate (non to quietly) all night. We finally properly got to sleep after 5am having discounted checking out at that time to come home. Noise aside, this is a great hotel, but my advice at weekends is not to book a room at the front.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
RwRoddie, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Thank you for your feedback, I was sorry to learn that your stay with us was disturbed by a party of people on the park. I can assure you this does not happen often and must have been some people making their way home after a late show at the Corn exchange or a night out at one of the Nightclubs. Our rooms at the front of the hotel, like all our other newly refurbished rooms, are double glazed and fitted with air conditioning to cut down such distrubances , and as we are that bit back from the road, these are usually the first rooms to be requested as they have the beautiful view of the famous Parkers Piece.

Please accept my apologies for not giving you a quieter room; this must have been a missed as our allocations usually reflect such requests. However I was pleased that you found the room to be to a high standard and the staff excellent! We hope look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kind regards
Roderick Watson
General manager

Reviewed 17 February 2012

We have stayed at the Gonville several times and it is always clean and comfortable. There was extra heating provided in the room as the weather was absolutely freezing.Breakfast was beautifully cooked to order. The staff were friendly and polite.
My only complaint is that I do not like the lack of privacy in the bathroom, due to a badly fitting sliding glass door.
Looking forward to our next stay for graduation !

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Macy22
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I always enjoy staying at the Gonville, it is clean and comfortable with good food and firndly staff

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank HelenLongsight
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We stayed for two nights as it was my girlfriends 40th birthday, we took our greyhound as the hotel is dog friendly. I arranged flowers to be put in our room through the hotel. I can't fault the room or the staff both were better than I expected. The hotel was nice and warm which was just as well as we saw -13 degrees outside. Opposite is a huge grassed park where we could walk the dog and it had plenty of poo bins. Museums and shops are a short walk away, just watch out for the cyclists who are every where it being a university city.
Breakfast was very good and is served in the restaurant. We had dinner in the restaurant both nights and that is where things could be improved. The waiting staff are very good and friendly. I had lamb the first night and it tasted and looked just like steak, this was because of the way it was cooked (so I was told). As a steak it tasted fine so other than expecting it to taste like lamb I had no complaints. The second evening my girlfriend ordered fishcakes and got a salad as a starter, that went back and we got what we ordered. It was the chefs error and the waiting staff were very apologetic. I had duck as a main the breast was very chewy but everything else was A1. I would suggest that you look at the menu carefully, the chef likes to mix and match and you may not see that the seafood comes in a salsa sauce rather than a cream sauce (which I hoped for) my girlfriend had this and said it was really good. Overall the food got a 85% from us. Staff 110%. Hotel and bar 100%.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple