“Great food, great service, great bar and restaurant.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maaza Namaskar Lounge - CLOSED

Maaza Namaskar Lounge
Cuisines: Indian, Barbecue, Asian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Great food, great service, great bar and restaurant.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

Original and authentic Indian cuisine like nothing I've ever tasted! Really enjoyed it as it made a nice change from the typical English style curry.

I have been a few times for business meetings and have ordered dishes I wouldn't usually, but have really enjoyed them all.

Simply wouldn't go anywhere else in Bristol for a curry!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

“Lovely food just very little portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Restaurant looks very nice and staff are incredibly attentive, although you pay alot for what you get.

Vancouver
“Phenomenal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

The need was was a birthday meal among friends with different tastes. It was a resounding success with everybody. I am picky about freshness, and balance of real potent spices, it was perfect!. Namaskar exceeded all our expectations, very authentic and we all had a phenomenal night to remember.
As an architect, I am also choosy about the environment, lighting and decor, and this too was great to have an inspiring new environment far from the usual Indian restaurants. The service was personal, the individual requests for spiciness all carefully noted. I used to live in Bristol, and will be back and need look no further for great food at very reasonable prices.

• Visited April 2012
Bristol, UK
“Authentic.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I like to consider myself a curry expert! I have eaten curries all over the UK and have spent time in India with work and on holiday. This was one of the most authentic meals I have had outside of India and one of the best curries in the UK, certainly Bristol. It's not cheap and the drinks can soon mount up if you get on the cocktails but the food is reasonable. Service was attentive; not like mentioned in previous review. We will without doubt be back but keep for special occasionsd due to the cost.

• Visited March 2012
Somerset
“Identity Crisis?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

I’m really not sure about this place. I had my reservations when a friend suggested it as a venue for his Birthday meal as I thought it looked like it could potentially be “style over substance” and I really don't like places like that! However, I decided to keep an open mind as the menu looked different to what you would normally expect to find in an Indian restaurant so I thought a change would be as good as a rest!

We visited on a Saturday evening as a party of six, everywhere else in Bristol appeared to be packed but this restaurant was virtually empty (only one couple dining when we arrived). As someone has already noted, customers were easily outnumbered by staff but, unfortunately, this did not improve the level of service which was slow at best (one example being, it took them 20 minutes to tell us they did not have one of the flavours of ice cream requested for dessert!). In their favour I will say that when they did come to the table they were friendly and polite but considering how empty the place was, service could definitely have been better, I can’t imagine how they would cope with a full house!

With regards to the food, I think opinion was fairly divided around our table, ranging from OK to good. It was certainly acceptable but fair to say that the general opinion afterwards was that we had all had better elsewhere! Having read that the fish dishes are good, I was disappointed that the Fish Tikka I fancied was unavailable so I settled on a Rogan dish instead as this was categorised under “medium” and I cannot eat hot curries! Unfortunately though, I found it far hotter than I was comfortable with although maybe this is just a personal thing rather than an error on their part? In addition, a couple of friends ordered the peshwari naan and all agreed that there was virtually no coconut taste to it!

For the drinks, they had a wide selection, including all the usual Indian restaurant fare and a wide variety of cocktails. I admit that cocktails aren’t my thing but I thought they appeared expensive at over £6 a go, I certainly couldn’t envisage buying a round or two of those! However, one member of our party tried them but for her second drink they “forgot” to add the alcohol! I found this a strange mistake to make for a venue that sets itself up as a cocktail bar. Luckily she spotted this and it was replaced with the correct drink.

Overall, my opinion is that this restaurant is over-priced for what you get (I’ve had better Indian food in our local Indian restaurant, which would fit into this place five times over!), and my initial fear that they had gone for style over substance was borne out, the décor is very smart and trendy and definitely not your typical Indian Restaurant. However, I think they are suffering from a bit of an identity crisis: Is this a restaurant trying to be a cocktail bar or a cocktail bar trying to be a restaurant? Doing both does not seem to be working as there was nobody in the cocktail bar when we left at around 11:00pm and only a couple of other tables were occupied in the restaurant when everywhere else in Bristol was packed. There were bouncers on the door, no doubt to deter the unruly element that can prevail in Bristol on a Saturday night but maybe they were deterring everyone too?!

I for one will not be hurrying back to this place and I would not be surprised if they do not survive for long. In my opinion this restaurant would fit better along the waterfront with all the other smart and trendy bars as this is clearly the market they are aiming at but I guess there’s not much they can do about that now!

I wouldn't say don't go here but I would say that you can probably find better Indian food and better value elsewhere.

• Visited March 2012