“Delicious food, fairly priced and great service”

Thali Restaurant, Totterdown
Ranked #477 of 1,835 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$ 4 - US$ 16
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Famous for Thalis but you'll find classic Indian snacks, coffee and cakes on the menu too. Quirky decor, great atmosphere, free Wifi, kids welcome. Award-winning Tiffin Takeaway scheme. Great for groups; hire the whole upstairs for your party or celebration. Located in the vibrant Totterdown, this is one of four Thali Cafes in Bristol. We avoid mainstream locations in favour of areas with a strong sense of community where we can foster relationships with local people and businesses.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My boyfriend and I came here for an early dinner yesterday, we’d been wanting to go for ages and finally got round to booking it. I’m really surprised by the other reviews I’ve read for this place, because overall we could not fault it in the slightest! The food was amazing! We had the chicken samosas to start with the coriander and lime dip. Then I chose the kerelan Chicken curry, and my boyfriend chose the lamb. It came out quickly beautifully presented and tasted absolutely delicious! We also had a side of the masala fried potatoes which were sooo good! We both had a drink, I had a passion fruit cocktail and my boyfriend had a beer. Overall it came to just under £50 and was worth every penny. The guy who served us was also very welcoming and seeing as he was the only person on the floor, he did a great job of checking if everything was ok. Could not fault it. Will definitely be back soon!

Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

I've been to this place a few times but gave it a miss for a tear as the menu never changed.
Tried it again, similar menu, very tasty but just really watery. It should be better. It's not difficult to get a good texture Dahl etc and not have lentils swimming and herbs floating. Not saucy just runny. Disappointing & not good value compared to the rest of Totterdown restaurants.

Thali T, General Manager at Thali Restaurant, Totterdown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2018

Hi Keef,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit.

We pride ourselves on serving great dishes using fresh and sustainable ingredients so it's disappointing to hear that you didn't enjoy our Dal on this occasion. It is rare that our Dal is served watery so I'd like to apologise for the oversight in our kitchen. I've spoken to the staff working in the kitchen this week and implemented a system to ensure this never happens again.

We look forward to seeing you again - hopefully to enjoy our new menu launching in the next few weeks.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch should you wish to discuss anything further.

Best Regards,

James.

Reviewed 2 February 2018 via mobile

We got a Wriggle deal for here mid week which is GREAT VALUE! Got a table at 7pm, nice table & served quickly. Food tasty & well prepared. Nice service but felt sorry for him working on his own in a full resraurant whilst managing takeaways, deliveroo pick ups. Some diners looking frustrated waiting for drinks etc, it was slow & patchy in places. Not the lovely chaps fault, he needed some support I think. Otherwise spot on!!!!

Reviewed 31 January 2018 via mobile

Visited here on a Saturday night. The place was packed with what seemed to be only 2 people working. We had booked a table and when we walked in we were just gestured to a table. 30 minutes later, having never been here before, we assumed we had to order at the bar, we were told to sit back down and someone would take our order.... another 20 minutes later they did. The food itself was just ok, made worse that they ran out of popadoms?! We were in there a total of 3 hours just for a main course. We certainty won’t be visiting again

Reviewed 7 January 2018

Used to go to the Thali a lot. In fact, was one of the first places I ate when I moved to Bristol several years ago.

The food now has gone quite downhill, my partner had a goan fish curry and I had a chicken curry. Of all the things we had, only my curry had any real flavour. Nothing was seasoned properly and there were some weird potato things on both our dishes that were basically badly roasted potatoes with some mustard seeds scattered on top. The colourful salads that used to come with the meals have now apparently been replaced with just a pile of forlorn looking red cabbage.

Most surprisingly, the popadoms are £1 EACH! That's just ridiculous. The sauces for the popadoms were quite good though.
If you do decide to go, then avoid the goan fish curry. It's watery and tasteless and Goan chefs would be pretty distraught to find something like that being served under that title.

Food came super quick, so if you're in a hurry then it's a good last minute choice but don't expect anything more. In a city that is overrun with new restaurants, Thali really needs to up it's game.