“Definitely budget”
Review of The Washington

The Washington
Ranked #30 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Before I stayed here, I was actually at the YHA Bristol so going from a hostel to a hotel should be an upgrade right? I was paying double at The Washington. In many ways it was. It was in Clifton, much easier for me to get to from work and also close to where I was moving in to (I wasn't staying for a holiday). Originally I actually tried to book through their website, but they said they had no vacancies, but actually I saw through laterooms that a room was free.

They called me the day before just to confirm that I was still okay for checking in. I thought this was a nice touch. When I went to check in, the receptionist was really nice. As I booked through laterooms I wonder if I was given one of the older rooms, as I noticed the key that I got given just had like a small tag with the room number handwritten on it, whereas I saw some of the other rooms had proper metal, long tags with numbers engraved. Just something I noticed... I had read in previous reviews that you should recommend a room at the back. Doh, totally forgot to request that, but I don't know if that would have made a difference. It wasn't too bad in terms of noise. It was cold enough that I could just close the window and shut out the sound anyway.

I have to say my room was certainly showing its age. It had artex walls, the carpet was looking a little tired, the sink was bright pink and the bed spread had a hole in it towards the end. The mattress also was really old, a spring was digging into my back all night which wasn't pleasant at all. I did manage to shape my body in a way that I could just about avoid the spring.

I had to share a bathroom, but actually I was the first one to get in there for the day so the bathroom was pristine. Actually the bathroom was more modern than my room so that was good.

I guess you have to consider that it is a budget hotel, I think they really do try e.g towels folded nicely on the bed, tea/coffee making facilities available and even a bowl of fruit. The staff certainly do all they can to make the most of it (cleaners were saying hello to me, nice!) But I guess if they could just spruce up the rooms I think it would justify paying £35+ for a single bed.

Oh and wifi isn't free. And I don't think breakfast was included in my rate (was in everyone elses I think).

Room Tip: Maybe don't book through laterooms, try to get one direct, you might get a better room. Choose a...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of the Washington.

You raised a couple of points in your review that I thought I would address so that future guests were aware of the situation.

The Washington is a Grade 2 listed Georgian Guest house. Our aim is to provide the best value for money that we can. To that end, we offer both bed & breakfast and room only rates on all most websites (Laterooms being one of them). We feel this gives the guest the option of having a cheaper room without breakfast if that is what they desire. We think our breakfast is great, however, so all guests can still choose to have it and we will simply post the charge to your room.

We also offer some non-ensuite single rooms for the very budget option. Clifton is the nicest area of Bristol and the demand for these rooms is always very high so we are confident that we are supplying something that is needed and wanted in this area. We have 3 shared bathrooms within the Washington and very rarely get any problems with fitting everyone into a bath or shower when they would like them. We are also constantly improving our product with a rolling refurbishment - something that you noticed with the bathroom you used being our most recent improvement!

I am very pleased that you liked all the extra touches in your room and the great customer service that we provide here - this feedback is greatly appreciated by the team. I would, however, like to apologise for the poor quality bed you slept in - I have asked my House Manager to check all non-ensuite rooms to identify which one it is that is sub-standard so that we can replace the mattress asap.

Once again, many thanks for your feedback - it is very useful to us.
The Washington Team

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Very good and clean hotel for business purposes. Staff friendly, rooms good and cosy and definitely has an 'old times' charm to it. I hear there are renovations in the work and wish them good luck with it. Will definitely make the place go that bit further for holidaying or weekend break individuals.

Pros: Fantastic access to city centre, great staff, good breakfast menu and plenty of it, clean and cosy accommodation and 24 hour availability for reception.

Cons: Paid for internet access kept dropping so did not get to carry out work non stop. The wifi just needs to be tweaked a bit so that you can continually access it.

Room Tip: Fantastic business location hotel if you require access to the city centre.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LainCoubert345
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Unfortunately we had problems from the outset. We received a telephone call the day before arrival to confirm our booking which sounded promising. We explained we would need to check in early and were told this would be no problem. On arrival at 11am we were told to go away until 2pm! There was an offer to leave bags in reception but this was not a secure area, so we declined. Parking is difficult in the area and in their car park (due to the size). The room was tired and in need of updating. They did not have quilts on the bed, just a sheet and blanket. The staff were very nice, particularly the waitress at breakfast. Breakfast was good. There was a strange odour in the hotel. The wifi did not seem to work. There are better hotels in the area for the price and I would recommend that you try somewhere else first. If you are on a tight budget it gives you acceptable B&B. A problem with our television was quickly rectified by helpful reception staff.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2012

The staff seemed good, but the rooms are very dated and need modernising.
i had a single room and it wasn't the nicest i have ever stayed in.
The car parking is crazy.
Fairly loud and pipes in the walls seem to be making noises all night.it did the job for one night but personally i wont be staying there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Dear Guest,

I am saddened to hear that your recent stay at the Washington failed to meet the standards that you were expecting - this is not the feedback that anyone here wishes to hear.

I would like to know whether you were offered the use of our on-site car park when you arrived at the Washington. Clifton as an area is lovely, but we do accept that on street car parking can often be tricky but hope that our 16 spaces at the rear of our property make the end of your journey more pleasant - I am sorry if this was overlooked when you arrived at the Washington.

We have a rolling refurbishment ongoing at the Washington so some of our rooms may be more modern and fresh than others and we are always more than happy to find alternative rooms (if available) if you are not entirely happy with you room.

I am sorry that noise affected your stay with us. I have asked our maintenance team to investigate the noisy pipes in the hope that future guests will not be affected by this problem.

I am, however, delighted that you found our staff to be friendly as this is an area of paramount importance to us. Thank you very much for your feedback and I sincerely hope that you would consider giving the Washington a second chance when you return to Bristol.

Many thanks
the Washington Team.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

What a shame, this is a lovely imposing building in a great location, the staff were all lovely and they went out of their way to help me through out my stay. sadly it appears that the owners are not investing any money into the property, the paintwork is disgustingly dirty throughout the hotel, not just tired but dirty and obviously not been repainted for a long time, the shower in my room was a waste of time, never getting hot and a trickle at best
Whilst the location is very convenient there is no on street parking and an additional £6 charge to park on their car park per night, also Wifi is chargeable at £4 a night.
The location also means that it can be very noisy at night and with no double glazing this can be a problem.
Breakfast was disappointing and it appears that the cheapest ingredients are sourced, (the kind of breakfast served up in an £18 a night B&B) its a shame because again the serving staff were pleasant and attentive.

Ideal place for a young group out in Bristol but not if you intend to spend to much time in the hotel and need a decent nights sleep.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to hear that your experience at the Washington was not a wholly positive one - but am delighted that you found the staff to be so good.

I would like to address a couple of the points you raised in your review. We are an old building (Grade 2 listed) and as such are battling the elements in terms of our decor. In the last year, however, we have painted all the main corridors, replaced the carpet in all the corridors and in 15 rooms and have installed flat screen TVs in all the guest rooms. These upgrades have really improved the quality of what we have to offer a guest at the Washington - a fact that is born out from the improvement in our in house comment card scores. I am sorry that you felt that the general decor of the Washington was indicative of a lack of investment - I can assure you that we are constantly looking for ways to improve. The problem with the shower in your room, however, is a maintenance issue and I'm very sorry this affected your stay - I have spoken to my house manager to make sure she is being more vigilant with her checks.

I would also like to comment on our breakfast - which we usually receive extremely positive comments about. I can assure you that we do not simply use the cheapest ingredients - in fact we have made significant steps to improving everything that we offer our guests over the last year. Guests can now enjoy a continental breakfast as well as a full English breakfast - we have also improved our vegetarian options and have introduced a weekly special for those guests who are with us every week.

Once again - I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations, though thank you for your feedback as we do use everything to improve our service for future guests.

Many thanks