“A decent hotel in a convenient location!”

Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A decent hotel in a convenient location!”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Recommended for anyone staying 1-4 nights (I stayed for 3). This hotel is basic but comfortable. It's conveniently located just opposite Bristol Temple Meads Station, which was my principal reason for booking it, as well as my positive experiences with this particular chain of hotels. It's easy to commute to points of interest like Bath, Weston-Super-Mare etc. Likewise, It's only a 15 minute walk into the city centre, and if you need to get to the North of the City (areas like Clifton), you can catch buses outside the railway station (a day ticket cost me £4).

The staff were friendly and efficient. The breakfast was good, and included hot items like sausage, eggs and beans. The rooms were clean and equipped with a TV, hair dryer, telephone, tea & coffee making facilities and a nice en-suite (with a powerful shower, always a plus). My only gripe was that the sound proofing of my room wasn't very good, whilst I couldn't hear traffic, I could hear conversations (word for word) coming from the next room. I did feel a bit awkward, and anxious that I was bothering the gentleman next door with my own conversations.

Quality wise, Expresses tend to be a bit shabbier than their standard Holiday Inn counterparts, because you pay less. Nevertheless, I still found the hotel to be of a good standard (certainly better than your run of the mill travel lodge), and not as run-down as I had initially anticipated.

Overall, I was satisfied with my stay here, it was definitely good value for money and I would definitely consider returning.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
HIEBristol, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Dear Marmite20
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for writing a review for us. Our hotel location is desirable for both Corporate and Leisure guests for easy commuting by train. We are very happy to hear that our hotel facilities have met your requirements and that you are satisfied with your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon
Sharine Carrow
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Room clean, quiet, comfortable bed. Breakfast had good choice & hot food.. Car park £6 per day. 10-15mins walk to harbour. Plenty of busses available. Local Italian was great value at £8.50 for 2 courses before 6:30. Holiday Inn also have carry out menus and the food is delivered to the hotel. Plates & cutlery available so you can eat in the breakfast area. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank iainbarclaybod
HIEBristol, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear Only_the-truth
Thank you for taking your time to write a review for us. We are glad to know that you have had a satisfactory stay and will return to stay. We look forwarding to seeing you again
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The best thing about this hotel is the location - It is directly opposite Temple Meads train station, with its excellent links (via bus) to the airport.

I arrived just before midnight and was efficiently checked-in. The room was clean and quiet, located at the back of the building with a not-so-lovely view of a multi-storey car park. The bed was super-comfy and there was a choice of different pillow types (bonus points there!), whilst the bathroom was nicely kitted out.

You never quite know what to expect with this kind of hotel, but the breakfast was surprisingly good - a selection of hot food (lovely scrambled eggs!), fruit, yogurt and pastries. Coffee was pretty terrible though...

The only 'issue' I had during my stay was a very odd encounter with a member of the house-keeping team. She knocked on my door at 9:50am, expecting me to check-out immediately... presumably so that she could finish work early? I was entitled to use the room until 12:00noon, as per my booking confirmation and hotel policy. I raised the matter at reception and they were very apologetic about this person's behaviour... Strange!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
HIEBristol, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Dear Drift 10

Thank you for taking your time to write a review. We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Please allow me to reassure you that it was not the intention to try to remove you from your room sooner than your check out time.

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2012

This was our second stay here. The surroundings have improved slightly but bits still look very run down. Not dangerous, just unsightly. We were here for a weekend along with it would seem several stag and hen parties. Didn't bother us and they added to the entertainment in some ways. Blokes in purple tutus anyone? Room fine, pretty uninspiring breakfast with awful coffee. We went out to find somewhere else. However the staff are to a man /woman unfailingly polite and helpful. Just be sure to ask for a quiet room if you spot any purple ballet kit, french maids' outfits, etc...!

Room Tip: Higher floors are further away from a/c units. Road noise didn't bother us.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Kokol B

Thank you for your comment both negative and positive. I appreciate and share your opinion that some work needs to be done on the surroundings. It is always lovely to hear positive feedback with regards to my excellent team to whom your comments have been shared.

We hope you have had a great time in Bristol and look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future.

Cheltenham
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Stayed for one night. The hotel is clean and has everything you need. Staff were nice and provided us with a map of Bristol and told us where everything was.
Breakfast was OK, could have been a bit more choice but was fine.
Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear 12MissS

Thank you for your comment. It is always nice to hear positive feedback about the staff and hotel.

We look forward to your return soon