“Great Campsite. Cool Group Tents. Beach CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Two Harbors
Two Harbors Campground
Reviewed 11 July 2017

Stayed here on two different occasions during a week long backpack. We rented the 6 person tent cabins that come with 6 cots, a 2 burner stove and propane tank. The first time we had a cabin with a covered porch, and partially covered picnic bench. The second time we had all the above but not the covered porch. The campsite is nice and the walk to the beach is not bad. The campsite offers a service to deliver your backpack, luggage, gear etc. to your campsite from 2 Harbors for $5 a bag. The walk from 2 Harbors to the campsite is not bad but dropping your gear and getting lunch, groceries, etc. while your gear is being delivered is nice.

Bathrooms are Port-O-Potties and the showers are open air variety where you shower in a bathing suit on. But you can walk 10 min back to 2 Harbors and use the fully plumbed, private and pretty clean bathrooms and showers there too. Firewood can be ordered and delivered to you campsite and the whole experience was a lot of fun.

Room Tip: It is NOT a hotel, it is a campsite with some tent cabins!
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 September 2016

Well this is the place for you! Ok so a lot of bees, i wouldn't be such a complainer if it wasn't for the fact it took me forever to breakdown my tiny camp because of all the bees. I was bikepacking on the island and stayed here one night before biking back to Avalon. I bought wood that was basically palm wood and was impossible to start. The campsite was number 1 and sat on a little ledge right above the ocean. The view was nice, but the issues with the bees, close neighbors (who were loud hot boxing their tent till 2am), the high cost and crappy wood soared the experience. I would recommend Parsons Landing or Little Harbor as both looked more secluded.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
5  Thank Ben S
Reviewed 24 June 2016

I don’t like to complain and rarely give bad reviews, but I also depend on this site to get information about places I’ve never been, so here is some information I wish I had had: This campsite is just okay. My husband and I are on an 8 week roadtrip, and about 80% is camping, so we have stayed in quite a few different campgrounds. For the hassle and difficulty of getting to Catalina, along with all of your gear, I wouldn’t recommend making the trek. Plus, this campground is quite expensive (60$ including the reservation fee) compared to other beach camping in California. it just doesn’t seem worth it. We were really excited about Catalina based on recommendations in Sunset magazine and just the idea of an island campground. But it was a real disappointment.

Our first night we stayed in Site 7, which I chose because based on the only map of the campground I could find, it seemed close to the ocean. I couldn’t find any information online about shade, water, etc, which is kind of annoying for a campground that charges this much. I’m not sure why they can’t provide more information on their website about their facilities.

I would not recommend Site 7 or any of the sites clustered around it because while they are close to the beach, they are also all facing a large bank of Porta-Potties. Site 7 had some shade, but it didn’t look like the other sites around us did.

On our second night, which was unplanned (due to 200 Boy Scouts taking over the entire Parson’s Landing campground, including our reserved site, and us not wanting to stay in a de facto Boy Scout camp) we stayed in Site 16. The views were nice, and it is higher up on the hill and closer to town, but it was extremely close to the other sites around it. No one was staying in them, but if you did have neighbors you’d be really close to them. Our site had a shade structure, a grill, and great views of the ocean.

Other things I wish I had known about Two Harbors Campground before booking sites here and purchasing ferry tickets: it is an extremely steep hill to the campground from the town where the restaurant, general store, and flush toilets and showers are. So anytime you want to go to town or take a shower, it is a steep uphill with no shade. We are both in our twenties, from Denver, have no qualms with hiking or backpacking, but it wasn’t fun to have to hoof it up such a steep hill for every little thing. There is a gear haul for camping gear, which we didn’t use because we were backpacking. But there is a gear haul available.
Another good piece of information: while there are showers and flush toilet in town (so again, that hike up a steep hill), the shower and bathrooms are pretty dirty. In particular, the shower is weak, dirty, and extremely expensive: $2.00 for three minutes. Again, we are staying in a bunch of campgrounds and I’m not picky when it comes to camp showers (I’m just grateful if there is one), but these are pretty gross—just information that’s good to know when deciding to come here.

Lastly, something I wish I had known traveling as a couple is that Two Harbors Campground seems to attract a lot of big groups. Nearly all of the people we were camping around were in huge groups of 15-30 people, plus there are two dedicated group sites in the campground. This wasn’t necessarily bad, and the groups we were by were quiet and polite, but just something to keep in mind if you are traveling as a couple or a single family and don’t want to risk a big group near you being loud or impolite.

Room Tip: Sites 7 and the sites around it look close to the beach on the map: but are also really close to a l...
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Rachel S
Reviewed 21 June 2016

If you want to avoid most of the tourists that congregate in Avalon, and you prefer tents over hotels, then consider Two Harbors. It's a convenient campground about half a mile hike from the pier, which is where you will come in by boat. An inexpensive round-trip gear haul is offered upon arrival, so if you are packing heavy, it's a good deal. Near the pier you will find a restaurant with a bar. There is also a small general store to grab those camping forget-me-nots. Kayak and paddle board rentals are available. The tent sites come with a picnic table, grill, and fire pit. There are outdoor open showers at the top of the hill, as well as chemical toilets. There is not much in the way of shade on Catalina Island, it is a desert island after all. So be prepared for lots of hot sun: Sunscreen, sunglasses, extra-wide-brimmed hat, sandals and water shoes, and perhaps a 2-3 litter hydration pack would be highly advisable. If you enjoy thru-hiking and backpacking (I don't advise it in the summer due to heat) locals have suggested visiting during the spring when the weather is cooler and the hills are green. If you know what to expect and are prepared weather-wise, Catalina is a fun, quick get-a-way from LA. You can be as active or inactive as you want.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
4  Thank Ed L
Reviewed 28 November 2015

We've come here several times and always got a campsite close to the water. It's amazing to look out of your tent right at the ocean! It's definitely roughing it because it is tent camping. But if you like camping, like the ocean, and LOVE snorkeling as much as I do, it doesn't get much better! The marine wildlife is just steps from your tent, I've heard tell of buffalo in the hills (though I haven't seen any myself), and you just CAN NOT beat the 360* view. It does get chilly and your only toilet is a porta-potty. Keep in mind this is an adventure. It's a 1/4 mile hike to the campground from the town. But the town has bathrooms, coin-op showers, a couple restaurants, a little (overpriced) store for items you forgot to pack, and an ice cream window. Overall a super fun trip. But you are close to other campsites so if your neighbors are jerks it will be frustrating. Oh well. TIPS: 1) You can get the truck to haul your gear to the campsite so you don't have to carry it from the boat. It's a short hike but there is some semi-steep uphill on dirt. 2) We like to camp primitively two nights and on the third day shower in the town and eat at the restaurant before we head home on the boat. 3) Buy your firewood bundles from the rangers. They'll deliver to your site! 4) The water gets cold so wear a wetsuit if you are snorkeling for a long time. I also found booties and gloves to be especially helpful! 5) There used to be canopies for shade but they're gone now so bring your own. We bungie-cord ours to the cooler on the boat ride over so it still only counts as one item in the two item per person limit on the boat.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
0.7 km away
Banning House Lodge
Banning House Lodge
#1 of 1 in Two Harbors

Been to Two Harbors Campground? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK