“This place has rally gone downhill.”

The Blackwater Stream
Ranked #13 of 20 Restaurants in Broadstone
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 9 February 2018

I have been using this Wetherspoons for a couple of years, it has always had excellent staff with attention to detail and has always been clean. Lately though, standards have slipped. The other night when dining with family, meals came out at different times, my 2 friends finished their meals before me and while I was still eating, their plates were whisked away, they were not asked if 'everything was OK' or spoken to, a member of staff, just swept in, leant across me while I was still eating and took their plates. One of my companions asked if they were short of plates in the kitchen, we just got a shrug in response. Whilst my mixed grill was good, it had been cooked on a griddle that was in desperate need of a clean, I had scraped quite a lot of the black 'icky stuff' from my meat and wiped it onto my napkin, I mentioned to the staff member when my plate was taken that the griddle needed cleaning as there was residue on the meat, while showing him the napkin, he just shrugged and said "yeah..." Again, at no point were we asked about our meal. This used to be a great pub, but the standard of service and also the pub itself have been allowed to go downhill recently.

blackwater s, Manager at The Blackwater Stream, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2018

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your response and I'm sorry you feel that our standards were not to our normal high standards.
Sometimes meals will arrive if there are ordered on different tickets as we do try to ensure that all meals are delivered at the same time.
I have passed your feedback on to the kitchen manager concerning the cooking appliances, these are thoroughly cleaned every night at the end of business, he assures me that he will look into this.
I will pass your feedback onto the staff about the importance communication and check backs as we do try to ensure every customer receives a check back after five minutes.

Once again thank you for your feedback

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Whist many things have improved of late, very disappointed that there has been a reduced menu put in place and a crafty increase in pricing. Whilst I understand the wastage issue, perhaps if so much wasn't wasted on retuned meals the menu could of retained most of the deleted items.. On the whole it is generally a pleasant place to eat and drink..

Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

Its our local lovely pub good food furniture embarrising good beer needs a refurb urgently please!

Reviewed 21 December 2017

The Stream is our local pub and we enjoy it here and have a meal here at least twice a month.
But last evening was a complete disgusting meal.
We booked the Christmas menu weeks ago for my aunts Christmas treat.
So let down,what on earth was that dinner meant to be????
We know that it is not the staffs fault as I have read reviews on other Wethies pubs,and all agree that that meal is disgusting.
Preformed turkey and mash flooded in gravy
It was so bad that we were offered free drinks.
What ever happened to the lovely Christmas dinners you used to serve?
Please bring them back as this excuse of a meal is a disaster and dreadful

I feel so sorry for the great staff who have to explain it and probably get abuse

Reviewed 19 December 2017 via mobile

Popped in after work. Excellent steak cooked perfectly for both of us. Xmas pudding for afters .....perfect! !!!!

blackwater s, Manager at The Blackwater Stream, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2017

thank you for your comment we are happy you enjoyed your visit and hope you visit us again soon .