All reviews living room vancouver island sea lions pool and gym family wedding the bed was extremely comfortable the ground floor bit dated front desk staff whale watching the pub beautiful location duncan ocean earplugs upgrades grain
Reviewed 18 September 2016 via mobile

I stay at this hotel frequently over the past 4 years- up to 2 weeks in a span. I love the friendly and helpful staff. This will always keep me coming back. The Reno have spruced up the rooms nicely but it's an 80s hotel... DO NOT expect AC - they don't have it and I have only really missed it on one stay. There are fans available.
Bring an ether net cord if u want to do business. The wireless is intermittent.
If you need more kitchen supplies -ask. I usually get whatever I am looking for.
I was disappointed in the restaurant this time - not because my food was bad- but because the service was cappy. ... the place was full but just a coffee please...
The view is always the same. Fantastic

Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Cheryl R
Robert G, Director of Sales at Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2016

Cheryl R,

Thank you for your comments, our staff try very hard to maintain the level of service that our guests expect, but some times we fall a little short.

I hope that you give them another chance to show you our true colours!

Thanks again,
Rob G.

Reviewed 15 September 2016

Stayed here on the recommendation of a local in Duncan. Arrived on a Monday checked in dispignt the price only to find out after that the restaurant and bar were closed in the hotel that night. No consideration was given on the room price as "we are a destination after all".

Went to the room to find that it was clean,..dated but clean. The room had a spectacular view of the bay. This was the saving grace for this hotel and is the only resson that that a rating of three was given.

The room was set up in the fashion of a suite but lacked proper drinking glasses. Went to the front desk in person asking for some proper cocktail glasses and was told that they would be delivered. Yes the glasses were delivered the next day a half hour before we checked out.

Breakfast was ok but the service was next to none once meal was served,..no attempt to refill the coffee or water we even asked for a refill when the plates were served.

Without getting into the issues of the pool and the parking which were also problematic. I will just say never again.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2016 via mobile

Spent a night at the oceanfront for a surprise birthday get away. What a wonderful place...the front desk staff was amazing, thank you Janis. Dinner at the oceanview was spectacular, our servers Erin and Daniel went above and beyond. The food was amazing, local wine from Cherry Point. We even brought our dessert back to our room to enjoy later. And lets not forget the view. From early evening, to sunset and even after dark with the lights in the harbour; STUNNING!!! We stayed on the 5th floor, in an executive suite. Such a beautiful suite and amazing view. This place is a definite must, if just for a night or a weekend getaway.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Launa S

Launa S,

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

Thanks again,
Rob G.

Reviewed 7 September 2016

Decided to stay here for our wedding night. I had contacted them a few times prior to the night with some questions and explaining it was our wedding night etc and when we would be arriving.No comments or congratulations upon arrival, barely a smile when we checked in.Spent over $300 for a night and the rooms didn't even have air conditioning. It was probably the hottest week of the whole summer. Not once did it even cross my mind that a $300 room wouldn't have air conditioning. Our room literally baked in the sun all day (They new our arrival would be late in the evening) without any windows open or fans on/ventilation. We walked in and could barely breathe. When we called down and asked about AC they told us there was none and try opening the window... we opened our windows but still couldn't cool the room down. Probably only got 4 or 5 hours of sleep, and then had to check out. Since we were on the top floor we just wanted out of there in the morning and were exhausted. We went to the ONLY elevator and stood there for about 10 minutes with one other person just trying to get down to the main floor with our bags. Just frustrated with the somewhat abrupt service and lack of amenities when paying SO much for a single night. Especially when it was our wedding night.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Justine H
Robert G, Director of Sales at Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2016

Justine H.,

I'm sorry that we didn't meet your expectations for your recent stay.

You are correct, we do not have air conditioning. Our hotel wan built in the early 1980's and air conditioning was not included in the original build. Our region is rarely hot enough to make air conditioning a necessity. Usually opening the windows shortly before sunset is enough to allow the fresh ocean breeze to circulate through a room and cool it to a very pleasant temperature.

On rare occasions, as you seem to have experienced, the night time temperatures do not drop low enough to cool the rooms efficiently. This sort of occurrence only happens, on average, a few nights each year, making air conditioning an extremely expensive, and rarely used, post construction addition.

In the past, when we have opened windows to take advantage of the cooling prior to the arrival of our guests, we have received complaints concerning possible security issues, so our policy is to leave the windows secured in the closed position prior to guest arrival.

Yes, we have one elevator and 56 rooms and a restaurant covering five floors, and at check out times, particularly on Sunday mornings, we have a large number of guests trying to leave the hotel at the same time. This does cause delays. Considering that you had not received the full night of sleep that you were expecting, I can see how any delay at all would cause frustration. I'm sorry that you experienced that.

I hope that the remainder of your stay in the area was pleasant and that you give the Cowichan Valley and The Oceanfront Suites another opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with the TripAdvisor community.

Rob G

Reviewed 5 September 2016

This is one of our favorite restaurants on Vancouver Island because of the view, in the evening you have the sun shining on the Cowichan Bay and there's always something to see. We recently heard that there was a new chef and went for an evening meal only to find out there was a wedding party being held at the same time. We were very impressed with both the quality of service and the quality of the food despite the fact that the place was very busy.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ronald W
Robert G, Director of Sales at Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2016

Ronald W,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your recent visit to out restaurant!

Our new Chef, Benni Kelly, is exceptionally talented, and consistently provides his customers with a wonderful experience.

I will pass your positive comments on to both Chef Benni and our Restaurant Manager, as I am sure that they would both appreciate your wonderful comments.

Rob G