“Excellent fresh food!”

Babes in the Woods Eatery
Reviewed 6 October 2014

We spent three days on Galiano Island and ate here for two lunches and two dinners.

We stumbled upon Babes in the Woods Restaurant when we were looking for coffee on our second day on the island. The staff at Scoops Restaurant sent us to Babes in the Woods.

Lisa the Chef/Owner was very gracious and offered us coffee, which turned out to be a special blend made by Galiano Island Coffee Company was very good for drip coffee.

We decided to have lunch and I am not much of a salad fan generally, but Chef Lisa promised me that I would like her House Salad, so I took a leap of faith and ordered it. My wife ordered the Bbq blackened salmon pizza with zucchini, roasted corn and spring onions that was on the fresh sheet.

The salad was really good, it was fresh, the peppers on it gave it a bit of heat, the walnuts on it were candied to perfection and the goat cheese and black olives rounded it out. The balsamic vinaigrette dressing was very good as well.

My wife raved about the salmon pizza. I don't eat fish, so I could not taste it, but she she said that it was awesome!

I love cheesecake and noticed a Babe's Maple Walnut Praline Cheesecake on the menu and had to try it. Lisa makes these fresh in little mason jars and they are out of this world. The cheesecake is light and airy and very tasty. Once you had one of these you will want more!

We tried a a lot of the menu during our visit.

We tried the Blackened Cajun Chicken Platter, (the quesadilla option) without onions for me. Her guacamole that comes with it was out of this world, the Spanish rice was excellent and the quesadilla itself was very good.

I had her make me a roasted garlic, spinach pizza and mushroom pizza made to order and it was excellent.

Everything on the menu she makes herself and she makes it fresh. She loves what she does and it is obvious in the love and care she puts into her food!

If you go to Galiano Island, try this restaurant and you will be glad that you did!

Date of visit: October 2014
1  Thank LoraA914

Reviewed 16 September 2014

Lisa brings a wealth of experience working for others to her own space at last! Opening in the Spring of 2014 she has gradually increased her offerings and even added beer and wine.

The pizzas are amazing, you can even get them gluten free but my favourite dish is her house salad with the addition of chicken breast. Lovely mixed greens, candied walnuts, olives and goat cheese tossed in a tangy balsamic dressing. My mouth waters just writing about it!

There are tables both inside and out on the deck. One of the fun features is a long table for community dining. The table hosts a box of laminated quotes to read through and laugh over while your meal is prepared in the open style kitchen. Nothing hidden here!

Make sure you try one of her delicious cheesecakes each made in its own little mason-like jar.

Be sure to check her out on FaceBook.

Date of visit: September 2014