All reviews self catering kitchen games room youth hostel bunk beds alton towers national trust stately home table football beautiful building pool table young children peak district family stay packed lunch family room great facilities communal areas
Reviewed 10 September 2018

Great youth hostel with friendly staff in a beautiful valley. The bedroom was very clean with an old fireplace and modern ensuite. The games room was good for my son, and sociable, and the food in the evening was very nice. The national trust and youth hostel grounds were beautiful. The national trust had sport and games for children on the lawn, but o don't know how often this is.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with YHA (England & Wales)
ilammanager, Manager at YHA Ilam Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Hi Amber,

Thank you for your review, we hope to welcome you again soon.

Kind Regards,
YHA Ilam Hall Team

Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

We visited here for 2 nights at the end of August with our children aged 6 and almost 2.

Rooms: We were allocated a room for 8 which I think was a blessing as if a room for 4 would’ve been half the size we may have struggled! The room was very basic but everything we needed just as a base and somewhere to sleep. Everything was clean and to a pretty decent standard. I quite liked the bunk beds and slept well but my 6ft husband found it a bit cramped! It is a little noisy like some of the other reviews say but nothing that woke my children (they were shattered though from all the walking and fresh air!) and you soon get used to it. You can hear talking from other rooms but nothing that bad.

Restaurant: We ate in the restaurant on our arrival night and both the children ate for free with a paying adult meal which made the price really reasonable at around £25 for two pizzas, 2 two course Childrens meals, glass of wine and a lemonade. Portion sizes of the kids meals were great too. My little girl loved the meatballs! The pizzas were ok for the price too. We also paid for breakfast both mornings for convenience and to save time. It was pretty good, sausages, bacon, hash browns, beans etc plus cereal and toast. I think offering more snack options would be good as after a late meal at Alton Towers we just wanted something little for the children before bed but the restaurant really only offered meals for them. Maybe like something on toast, small sandwiches etc. Guess they expect people to self cater for this sort of thing, we were just new to this type of location so will be more prepared next time! I

Facilities: we used the kitchen to make picnic stuff after seeing the space available and would take more stuff if we visited again so we could’ve just made a quick tea or snack. It’s fully equipped with everything you could need to make anything really and people were making proper meals etc. Fridges were quite full but there was a few of them. Nice family room to watch TV and a family were watching a film (no TV in the room) plus there were a few games. And the pool table was a hit with my little boy too!

Location: Is simply amazing! Stunning scenery and the building is great too. My little boy loved sleeping in a castle! Lots of places to explore that’s just a walk away. We visited Alton Towers which is just a 15 min easy drive away and also walked to the Dovedale Stepping Stones. Loads to see around the hostel itself with some nice walks and trails for the children. We struggled to decide what to do as there was so much choice so we’ll definitely visit the area again. Aldi / Sainsbury’s about 15-20 mins away and there really isn’t anywhere close by to buy anything! So do come prepared. I expected there to at least be a corner shop to buy some milk for my little girl but no!

Staff: all young but super friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble and they know the area well and helped us out with the best walks for our youngest to cope with (although we still had to carry her a lot!)

Overall: great place to stay with a lovely feel about it and will definitely visit again plus look in to other YHA locations.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family

Hi,

Thank you for leaving such a helpful and informative review, I'm glad we could give you more space in your room and it sounds like you had a great time. Thank you for the feedback on our food I will pass this along to our team, we think our building and surroundings are awesome too, we hope you will stay with us again and explore the other amazing YHA around the country

Kind Regards,
YHA Ilam Hall Team

Reviewed 4 September 2018

Ilam Hall was a great place to stay for my friends and I while we did some walking in the area. The rooms are clean as was the Hall generally. Well worth a look if you are needing somewhere cheap to stay in the area.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with YHA (England & Wales)
ilammanager, Manager at YHA Ilam Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2018

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your review. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 3 September 2018

I've never had the opportunity to stay in a youth hostel in my 50 years . Possibly due mostly to the fact that my partner wouldn't even consider it ! So on a rare ' I want a bit of me time ' moment I headed for the Peak District for the first time too. I live down south and although the West Country is lovely a bit of a change and more distance was called for. Ilam Hall seemed to tick a number of boxes but the main being that it was within distance of Dovedale for me to avoid the crowds on a walk late afternoon. It was serenely quiet and sitting on the hill overlooking the water was wonderful after a 4 hr trip. The hall in lovely National Trust grounds with a church - such a brilliant place for a hostel . Very impressed with the organisation and staff were so friendly . I paid for a room with bunkbeds and ensuite which was very clean. A bit sparse but served the purpose fine. The large self catering kitchen was handy if you didn't want to eat there. I paid £29 for the night at the end of summer hols and paid extra for breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo

Hi,

Thank you for your review. It’s great you’ve been able to explore a new part of the country and we agree very beautiful. We hope we can welcome you back in the future although there’s many more YHA’s and areas to explore too.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 3 September 2018

Fantastic stay, kids loved it...food,service,cleanliness excellent.we would definately stay again. Kids were entertained playing pool,pooh sticks and just admiring the gardens,grounds and views. And with Alton towers just down the road..we could not fault it.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Hi,

Thanks for the review, we hope to welcome you all again soon.