New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Lovely place with really nice people” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dorothy and Mike's Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Queen Charlotte City
Dorothy and Mike's Guest House
Nanaimo, Canada
“Lovely place with really nice people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

Just returned from a visit to the Haida Gwaii and stayed 3 nights at Dorothy & Mike's in the 'Kumdis' room.

We were delighted with the accommodations, the view and our hosts. Didn't hear a peep from the SPCA and we were in the room right next to it.

Didn't see a lot of Dorothy but Mike was really helpful and petty damn funny...nice fella. Their son, Evan (?), also was also very helpful and is a pleasant young guy.

All in all: nice place, great accommodations, reasonable rates and really good folks...what more could you ask for?

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank PhormerlyPhrozenPhil
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Burnaby, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

We stayed four nights at Dorothy & Mike's in late August. It was a perfect location in Charlotte City - within a short walk of restaurants and the harbor and centrally located for our day trips. Our room was very comfortable and perfect with everything we needed. Although our room did not include a kitchen (the suites do), we were able to prepare a quick breakfast and snacks with the microwave and refrigerator. Mike was very helpful in providing us with some directions and information and we especially enjoyed all the cats. Thank you Dorothy & Mike for your hospitality. - Kris

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kris_Christopher
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

My husband and I have an inside joke that when something is "cat-approved" (i.e. there are cats present), it gets an extra stamp of approval...

We are cat people and were pleasantly surprised to see Dorothy and Mike's was also part local SPCA. But, if you are not an animal lover, you don't have interact. But if you are, there are many opportunities to get your cat-fix.

We opted for the "Loft Room". It was beautiful with great views. You have to walk up steep-steps to get there but it's worth the hike. The bathroom is really lovely, as well. After 5 days of camping, I was extremely pleased with the tub! The only potential downfall that I can see with the Loft is that it is above a common space, so other guests could use that space and not consider the guests upstairs. That is, they could be loud at bad hours and not know that they are disturbing people. However, that didn't happen to us and I will just assume that people will hopefully be as conscientious in the future!

The host, Mike, was great. Very nice and not up in your face which was perfect for us. The common area is well stocked with books and information on the local area. I would definitely stay here in the future.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KimbertEyestain
BC, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

We booked a suite at Dorothy and Mikes (met Mike but Dorothy was away) for 5 nights, months before our arrival. I read the writeup on room descriptions online and booked one of the 3 suites - By the Sea - because it had a queen bed and a single bed. Snoring can be a problem when we travel for both of us, so we always need a backup bed or snoratorium as I've heard it called : ) There were no photos of this suite and now I know why. Just a heads up to others that the room is not what it might appear to be in the description. We called it the "bunker".
The garden view is more like a view of a shady walkway and unfortunately, that walkway is the transit for the other suite dweller, so we had to keep our curtains closed the whole time for any privacy, never knowing when someone might walk right by. The curtains also didn't quite cover the distance, so there was a bit of a gap. By The Sea is also the only room or cabin in the entire quest house complex that has no water view. Ah, then the so called single bed...it was a pretty poor excuse for a bed and reminded me of one of those fold down beds in the kitchen of a camper trailer (i.e. the convertible kitchen table). It was a miserable experience for a middle aged adult but perhaps not for a child. The mattress was in 2 parts and had to be put together after folding down a plywood underframe onto legs (see photo). With the mattress being rather thin, it was not comfie. This was one of the major drawbacks of the room for us and we could have grown accustomed to the other things. The kitchen was large and lovely and as others have said, the cleaning was outstanding. It had a large TV and the queen bed was nice. Other than a few noises in the suite above it was quieter than the other suite we tried. One more thing - the water temp in the shower varied unpredictably from scalding hot to cold, so I either showered early or took a bath.
The first day I asked Mike if we cold switch to one of the other suites and by our last night he was able to do so. It was like night and day compared to the "bunker"! Lots of windows, a water view- just beautiful ambience. Until that is I tried to sleep and was amazed at the amount of noise the people above us could make walking around and around until 11 pm. This suite was actually noisier than By The Sea, could hear some voices between walls too.
So in conclusion, I liked the place, the location and Mike was a nice, helpful, chatty, low-key guy, but I would cough up the big bucks next time and try out one of the cabins! The Inn was also partly a SPCA adoption centre so I had fun playing with the collection of kittens in a separate room.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank natureniche
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

I spent a week at this delightful guest house at the end of July. Accomodations here are clean, comfortable and tastefully decorated. The hosts were attentive while at the same time respectful of personal privacy. Mike in particular went out of his way to help me find my way around the islands on my first visit. I travel to remote areas frequently and this guest house is truly a gem for anyone who wants to get away to a beautiful remote island without sacrificing all the comforts of home.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank biztraveler05340
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queen Charlotte City
0.0 km away
No photo provided
Northern Shores Lodge
#5 of 5 in Sandspit

Been to Dorothy and Mike's Guest House? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK