“Not so Quiet - met basic requirements” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Vista Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mayne Island
Blue Vista Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mayne Island
Okanagan, British Columbia
“Not so Quiet - met basic requirements”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed at this resort in July. When I booked my 3 night stay, I explained to the owner that I would be travelling alone and I was looking for peace and quiet. My reservation confirmation from the Blue Vista describes it as "A small cottage resort that provides a peaceful getaway for couples, singles, families and small groups looking for a quiet retreat". I had stayed at the Blue Vista a few years earlier, with my husband, and we had enjoyed our stay, so I felt confident in my choice, even though there were new owners, the owner had been very nice over the phone. When I arrived my key to Hummingbird Cottage was in an envelope taped to the office door, and there was a note saying that if I needed anything, to call the owners, who lived off the property. All seemed in order with my little cottage - the cottages are not fancy but functional and clean. Soon after I arrived it became apparent that I was in the middle of a very large group who were occupying 4 or 5 of the 8 cabins in the resort. My cabin was in the literally in the middle, so a group of about 30 people (I tried not to count because I didn't want to get obsessed - but it was a LOT of people for the number of cabins they were occupying) were pretty much monopolizing the common areas, and visiting to and fro between rooms. They were a lively and happy bunch with lots of kids, lots of noise. My little note with my key said to call the owner if I needed anything, and, after a couple of hours sitting in my cabin listening to a din that could be heard from 'way down the street (when I took a walk to the beach), I phoned the owner to see if I could be moved to another cabin further away, and to express my displeasure at the situation I found myself in. Her first words were "what do you want me to do, ask them to leave?', so I knew she didn't "get it". She went on to tell me that they were nice people and that they would quiet down by the resort's designated quiet time of 10pm. She also said she would "see what she could do" about moving me to another cottage, further away from the group. She also told me that she would speak to them about their noise. I said "Please, DO NOT speak to them, they are not doing anything wrong, and it will only make things worse" Well, she must have, because when I ran into some of the adults from the group in another part of the island, they were smirking and making jokes about how much noise they were making at the resort. I didn't hear from the owner again for the rest of my stay. I tried to spend my quiet time away from the resort, at a beautiful park with a lighthouse, where I could watch the ferries come and go. On check out day, I went looking for the owner and found her cleaning one of the rooms. I had been there 3 days and never met her. I went to the office to pay, and she said "I'm sorry you found it too busy here". This was not an apology in my books, so I said nothing, paid her, and left. I had tried to make the best of my stay, and there was no sense pursuing this any further with someone who obviously didn't understand what my problem was. I would have even appreciated a phone call from her, once her large booking was received, to warn me that there would be a large noisy group, and to give me a chance to make other arrangements. I was so clear with her on the phone about what I was looking for. Then, when I complained, she almost went as far, but not quite, as accusing me of being racist, since the group was from another culture. Unbelievable! What should have been a nice retreat for me became a very uncomfortable and almost creepy experience. Based on the insensitve way i was treated, i could not reccomend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
      Location
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank sawmill9
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

The cabin is lovely, we had a nice deck and enjoyed the morning sun. There is a playground area in the common space and it was pretty quiet at first.
We had two groups of families with lots of kids who had the run of the common area so not quite so quiet.
We managed to find quiet times by only hanging around the cabins during quiet times.

Beaches are not directly accessible from the cabins. There are public access areas. One public access area is near a private cottage, and they give off the "stay out" vibes. There are lots of "private" not accessible places in Mayne. I think it is a utopia for people with cottages on the waterfront. It can be disappointing if you are looking for a quiet beach and are limited to the "map" to find one.

Kayaking is right near by and cycling is a must. You can cycle the whole island in a day. Pick different bays and you will see nice scenery. There are some nice farms, esp on along Horton Bay, and some friendly goats along Fernhill road across the Home Hardware.

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BreakfromWinter
Brandon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

4 nights 5 day excellent Blue Vista rooms hospitality made for a very comfortable stay. Not a big traveler but thanks for the relaxing affordable stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank mclaughlin66
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

We rented one of the studio cottages in August 2010 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The owners are very friendly and helpful, the cottages are very clean and have everything you need, including a kitchenette and porch. The prices are very reasonable for the service and amenities. It is a short walk from the resort to the beach.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank BasedinVancouver
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

Between the Blue Vista, The Wild Fennel and Linda's Bakery, I had to rip my kids off the island. This place is a a total breath of fresh air! Our cottage was spotlessly maintained and had a handy kitchenette. We got stuck missing our Ferry (which is a bit tricky to time sometimes...) Carmen was kind and really helpful. The island itself is for people who want to relax and enjoy some peace and quiet. Tide pools to ponder, beautiful trails to walk through, beautiful views and yummy places to eat in between... We'll be back!! Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank rroy1224
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mayne Island
18.4 km away
Hastings House Country House Hotel
Hastings House Country House Hot...
#1 of 3 in Salt Spring Island
33.0 km away
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Central Saanich

Been to Blue Vista Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK