All reviews first nations cape mudge campbell river vancouver island cruise ship the cottages hot tub great room native art fishing boats get away marine traffic dining room prime rib breakfast and dinner two night stay discovery passage
Reviewed 6 September 2018

The photos look really good, don't they? I had high hopes for this place and the views plus the surrounding area was a delight. But:

...the staff seemed down, confused and poorly trained.

...dinner took 45 minutes to arrive, when they were not busy--plain food, but it was quite good.

...the whole place is in desperate need of maintenance or replacement of many aspects.

It could be a wonderful place but doesn't get there.

Room Tip: Insist upon having a portable AC unit in your room
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Helen C, General Manager at Tsa-Kwa-Luten Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2018

Hello Andrew

Thank you for your stay with us. We value all of our guests.

I am pleased to say that we are in the process of continuing with renovations.

We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 27 August 2018

The rooms are a little sparse and considering our summer it was very hot. They are not air conditioned. We took along our own fan and they supplied a fan and that was helpful. The restaurant is air conditioned and the food was very good.

Stayed: August 2018
Reviewed 20 August 2018

My wife and I and 2 friends enjoyed a beautiful and tranquil 3 nights here in early August. This is a special place. The breakfasts and dinners out on the deck are amazing with a beautiful view looking west towards Campbell River. The hotel staff are friendly and accommodating. And our rooms were spotlesslly clean (with the same gorgeous view of the water). And we appreciate the no-pet policy as we have severe pet allergies. We will be back.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Tsa-Kwa-Luten, General Manager at Tsa-Kwa-Luten Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2018

Hi James. Thanks for the great review. It was a pleasure you host you and we hope you visit with us again.

Helen

Reviewed 19 August 2018

The setting and views from the lodge are great. The hotel staff are friendly and very helpful. Unfortunately, the dining experience was terrible. This is the first time my wife and I actually sent our food back to the kitchen. This was after a 1 hour and 45 minute wait. We had made reservations for 10 and half the group could not eat the food. Food was way overcooked. The dining experience took away from the overall stay. The rooms themselves are clean, but a little dated. We would have thoroughly enjoyed our stay had it not been for the dining experience. It too bad, because this is a fabulous place to visit and stay.

Room Tip: choose a room with a view of the straits.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

Hello Peter

We are very sorry for this unfortunate dining experience. At Tsa Kwa Luten we strive to ensure that all our guests experience is outstanding. We will look into what happened and aim to make the necessary adjustments to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Helen

Reviewed 7 August 2018

I first visited this resort 10 years ago. Not much has been updated since then except they now offer free wifi.

The property is a beautiful location with lots of rocky beach access and look out points, deer, and other animals. They offer free archery, bocce, bikes (adult only bikes). The check in desk staff were friendly.

The rooms do not have A/C but have a small fan. The hallways have a/c in the lodge, so we kept our door open for a bit to get some of the cool air. By night the room was fine.

Our loft room consisted of 2 double beds on the main level, and one double in the loft. Perfect for a family. There are no tv's in the room, but there is a communal TV room with broken but still functional furniture from your old rec room. The hotel room itself was updated, the bathroom has not been updated since the 70s/80s. The bed were very comfortable and I had a great sleep both nights.

The rest of the property is very dated. Clean, but dated. Dusty rose paint. The gym is kind of embarrassing and I don't think they should advertise it and it should be completely removed and replaced. The equipment was from the 80s, there was a manual treadmill, an ancient rower, some barbells, and a bench. No free weights.

The hot tub has a nice view, but needed much more water than was in it. The cover smelled musty.

We ate breakfast once in restaurant. Beautiful view. If you time it correctly you could be dining and watching the cruise ships go by in the evening. Our servers were nice, but didn't refill our drinks and I was left thirsty. Our food was very tasty and nicely plated.

I recommend the Loving Oven Pizza restaurant for dinner, their pizza and owners are great.

They had a few games in the lounge for use, so my kids were happy with that.

Google the website that will show you the location of cruise ships near by. We are able to see two each day.

Overall, I think for the price this place is good, but if it updated it would be so much better. We had a nice time and would return in the future. I think there is so much more potential for this property.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Tsa-Kwa-Luten, General Manager at Tsa-Kwa-Luten Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2018

I value all of our guests and input

I am working very hard and have started upgrading. My goal is to make some changes each year

We look forward to your return visit