“Wonderful Themes”

Gnome's Hollow Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pender Island
Gnome's Hollow Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed 26 August 2017

I spent some time on the Island to visit relatives and I particularly enjoyed the meticulously decorated rooms. I didn't have time to use the hot tub, but the overall experience was great and I easily recommend it.

Room Tip: Choose a room that has a theme you like.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Ol_Gnome, Public Relations Manager at Gnome's Hollow Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Thanks Jesse for letting us know we are doing a good job taking care of our guests. It was our pleasure meeting you and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

This was our second visit to Gnome's Hollow with my brother and his wife, because we love the hospitality and peaceful atmosphere. Tania and Dave make us feel at home with the right balance of interesting and humorous conversation and privacy at the appropriate times.
The beds are comfortable, rooms are clean and nice showers. If you find your room a bit chilly, there's a thermostat. They are very accommodating. A very warm and relaxing setting in a wooded wonderland. Exactly as described in their ad online. We would love to return.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dodiemitch
Ol_Gnome, Public Relations Manager at Gnome's Hollow Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

It was our pleasure to see you again. Thanks for letting us know we are doing a good job taking care of our guests

Reviewed 14 July 2017

We spent three days on this 'welcoming' island and found our hosts (and their two friendly dogs) to be exceptionally accommodating and sensitive to our needs. (signed: Nora and Benny Robson - on their mother-son getaway ... Victoria, B.C.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank norarobson1

Thanks Nora for letting us know we are looking after our guests in the right way. Hope to see you and Benny again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

I have been to many b and b s and have never felt so uncomfortable and unwelcome from hosts. There are darling little gnomes hidden and also displayed on the property but the kids were discouraged from touching anything. But this is the essence of our discomfort: my 3 year old made a mistake and misplaced a fifty cent trinket. The hostess asked about it very angrily and we apologized profusely. The next morning we did not get coffee in our room as promised. We went down stairs to the breakfast room expecting to get coffee there and we still did not. When the hostess approached us she still looked very angry. I asked her how she was doing and she was rude and short with me. I apologized - again profusely - and offered to pay 10$ for this 50 cent loss. This was ungraciously accepted but still no word about coffee or breakfast and the hostess walked off. We definitely got the feeling that the hosts were angry with us and did not want us there. We ended up leaving without breakfast as we were so uncomfortable. My kids are 3 and 6 and are normal, curious and excited but not unruly or loud or delinquent. We paid over 200 dollars for one night here and were on the property only to sleep and for another 2 hours at most.

I can't believe that hosts who do not want small children or who are uncomfortable with their excited exploring or inquisitive behaviour would welcome families to their property. It sets both the hosts and their guests up for misery. For such a small mistake as my daughter's....which we apologized for and offered to pay for ....to hold a grudge to the point of cold shoulders and with holding morning coffee seems so petty. We would never recommend this place to anyone but to be fair the hot tub was nicely tucked away I to a lovely woods and the kids were (unfortunately) enchanted with the surroundings. Their dogs barked horribly multiple times but ended up being relaxed in the end. The rooms smelled musty and my dad (sleeping in the adjoining room) had an allergy attack. The place was dimly lit throughout but the view out the window was nice.

All in all it was the worst experience I have ever had at a b and b and I think they should not accept children here if they can't be understanding about childish behaviour.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Ol_Gnome, Manager at Gnome's Hollow Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2017

Response to May 28, 2017 Review

First of all there are several issues in this review that need to be addressed:

1. First of all, I profusely apologize for the over sight of not serving them a pre-breakfast beverage to their room. Since we opened our B&B in 2002, this is the first time this has happened.

2. When their room was booked by her parents (our pricing for our rooms is based on a two night stay, with an extra charge for a single night), I had mentioned that we had open water in our three ponds and that the children must be supervised at all times and was assured the her daughter was a responsible parent and that they would be supervised. The children were well behaved while in the hot tub, but were allowed to run at large through our garden beds beside the open ponds, trampling the plants, knocking a garden ornament into the pond, and hauling the garden gnomes and other ornaments around like they were their own personal toys, all the while their mother watched them.

3. As for the "missed placed" 50 cent item, it was a Gnome gift box that was given to us twelve years ago by a friend who is no longer on this Earth, and had great sentimental value. We have never had a problem with other children manhandling our possessions.

4. As for breakfast, there is a "Gnome's Hollow Guest Information" card in all of our rooms. The first item on the card reads: "Please Note: There is only one Breakfast serving at 9AM in the main floor dinning room." Then goes on to tell you how to get there, which is not downstairs in the Guest Lounge. There is also a note above the table in the Guest Lounge stating that breakfast is served in the dinning room upstairs, where my wife had their three course hot breakfast waiting for them on the dinning room table.

5. As for the "misty smell" in her father's room, my wife uses natural cleaners to clean the rooms, which includes vinegar and water. If her father has that kind of sensitivity to house hold cleaners, it is his responsibility to let us know before they arrive, not the next morning.

6. When I served coffee to her parents in their room the first morning at 08:30 (they stayed two nights), her mother dumped a full cup of coffee on the carpet, leaving a large two foot stain beside the bed. The next morning they were not at breakfast at 09:00, and when my wife knocked on their door at 09:15, they were still in bed. We serve a hot breakfast, which does not always reheat well, so it is nice when our guests have the courtesy to show up on time. When they arrived after 09:30, my wife asked her father where their daughter and family were, and was told he did not know. My wife then told him that their daughter still owed us money for their room. He got snarky and said they would pay for it, and then the question of the stained carpet came up. He's response was "Ya we stained it", like he was proud of the fact. Then said "Do you know what F O stands for, F__K Off". Never in fifteen years of running our B&B have we ever had someone so rude say anything like that to my wife.

In conclusion, due to this experience with these children, we will no longer accept children at our Bed and Breakfast.

Reviewed 9 February 2017

My partner and I were very comfortable. Breakfast was delicious. And Pender Island is a wonderful place to get away and enjoy the Gulf Islands' natural beauty. I recommend the short hikes on Parks lands.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple

It was our pleasure meeting you and hope to see you again soon.