All reviewshot tubstay there againtaniagnomeshostshostessdeerpropertysuite
Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

I have been to many b and b s and have never felt so uncomfortable and unwelcome from hosts. There are darling little gnomes hidden and also displayed on the property but the kids were discouraged from touching anything. But this is the essence of our discomfort: my 3 year old made a mistake and misplaced a fifty cent trinket. The hostess asked about it very angrily and we apologized profusely. The next morning we did not get coffee in our room as promised. We went down stairs to the breakfast room expecting to get coffee there and we still did not. When the hostess approached us she still looked very angry. I asked her how she was doing and she was rude and short with me. I apologized - again profusely - and offered to pay 10$ for this 50 cent loss. This was ungraciously accepted but still no word about coffee or breakfast and the hostess walked off. We definitely got the feeling that the hosts were angry with us and did not want us there. We ended up leaving without breakfast as we were so uncomfortable. My kids are 3 and 6 and are normal, curious and excited but not unruly or loud or delinquent. We paid over 200 dollars for one night here and were on the property only to sleep and for another 2 hours at most.

I can't believe that hosts who do not want small children or who are uncomfortable with their excited exploring or inquisitive behaviour would welcome families to their property. It sets both the hosts and their guests up for misery. For such a small mistake as my daughter's....which we apologized for and offered to pay for ....to hold a grudge to the point of cold shoulders and with holding morning coffee seems so petty. We would never recommend this place to anyone but to be fair the hot tub was nicely tucked away I to a lovely woods and the kids were (unfortunately) enchanted with the surroundings. Their dogs barked horribly multiple times but ended up being relaxed in the end. The rooms smelled musty and my dad (sleeping in the adjoining room) had an allergy attack. The place was dimly lit throughout but the view out the window was nice.

All in all it was the worst experience I have ever had at a b and b and I think they should not accept children here if they can't be understanding about childish behaviour.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Ol_Gnome, Manager at Gnome's Hollow Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2017

Response to May 28, 2017 Review

First of all there are several issues in this review that need to be addressed:

1. First of all, I profusely apologize for the over sight of not serving them a pre-breakfast beverage to their room. Since we opened our B&B in 2002, this is the first time this has happened.

2. When their room was booked by her parents (our pricing for our rooms is based on a two night stay, with an extra charge for a single night), I had mentioned that we had open water in our three ponds and that the children must be supervised at all times and was assured the her daughter was a responsible parent and that they would be supervised. The children were well behaved while in the hot tub, but were allowed to run at large through our garden beds beside the open ponds, trampling the plants, knocking a garden ornament into the pond, and hauling the garden gnomes and other ornaments around like they were their own personal toys, all the while their mother watched them.

3. As for the "missed placed" 50 cent item, it was a Gnome gift box that was given to us twelve years ago by a friend who is no longer on this Earth, and had great sentimental value. We have never had a problem with other children manhandling our possessions.

4. As for breakfast, there is a "Gnome's Hollow Guest Information" card in all of our rooms. The first item on the card reads: "Please Note: There is only one Breakfast serving at 9AM in the main floor dinning room." Then goes on to tell you how to get there, which is not downstairs in the Guest Lounge. There is also a note above the table in the Guest Lounge stating that breakfast is served in the dinning room upstairs, where my wife had their three course hot breakfast waiting for them on the dinning room table.

5. As for the "misty smell" in her father's room, my wife uses natural cleaners to clean the rooms, which includes vinegar and water. If her father has that kind of sensitivity to house hold cleaners, it is his responsibility to let us know before they arrive, not the next morning.

6. When I served coffee to her parents in their room the first morning at 08:30 (they stayed two nights), her mother dumped a full cup of coffee on the carpet, leaving a large two foot stain beside the bed. The next morning they were not at breakfast at 09:00, and when my wife knocked on their door at 09:15, they were still in bed. We serve a hot breakfast, which does not always reheat well, so it is nice when our guests have the courtesy to show up on time. When they arrived after 09:30, my wife asked her father where their daughter and family were, and was told he did not know. My wife then told him that their daughter still owed us money for their room. He got snarky and said they would pay for it, and then the question of the stained carpet came up. He's response was "Ya we stained it", like he was proud of the fact. Then said "Do you know what F O stands for, F__K Off". Never in fifteen years of running our B&B have we ever had someone so rude say anything like that to my wife.

In conclusion, due to this experience with these children, we will no longer accept children at our Bed and Breakfast.

Reviewed 9 February 2017

My partner and I were very comfortable. Breakfast was delicious. And Pender Island is a wonderful place to get away and enjoy the Gulf Islands' natural beauty. I recommend the short hikes on Parks lands.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Ol_Gnome, Public Relations Manager at Gnome's Hollow Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

It was our pleasure meeting you and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 November 2015

We went there with our 2 year old daughter and it was a great choice. The owners were very friendly and can tell you much about what to do and where to go on Pender Island. They are also well traveled and always have a good story to share, The rooms were very good, comfortable beds and clean rooms and bathrooms. Neatly decorated, lots of figures and pictures to look at. The downstairs "living room" became in handy for our own little dinners and as a play area for our daughter. Breakfast was always very good, home cooking at its best! We found that any part of the island is in easy reach. We have every reason to come back to to Dave and Tania!

Room Tip: When we were there, we looked at all rooms and really, they are all very good.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 October 2015

Clean, cute and somewhat quirky. Comfy bed. BUT....the proprietors live upstairs and there was tv noise until 11 pm+. There were no apologies when this was mentioned before our departure, which we thought was odd. As well, this was also the only establishment during our entire gulf island tour that requested a 50% deposit (no credit card..cheque by snail mail only and payment of balance by cash only). Perhaps they have been burned in the past, and this is their way of covering their booking. Fair enough, but it was rather inconvenient for the customer. I had to make a second long distance call to inquire whether our deposit was indeed received. If they had email and did business communication via that channel it would be more customer friendly.

Stayed: October 2015
Ol_Gnome, Public Relations Manager at Gnome's Hollow Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2017

As our introductory letter and price list states, "A 50% deposit is required to confirm your reservation. We only take cash or cheque as payment or PayPal through our Web site." When bookings are made by phone rather than by our email address "info@gnomeshollow.com", it's hard to send a confirmation with out an email address.

Reviewed 4 September 2015

We love Pender Island and we brought our friends over this time. Gnome's Hollow is conveniently located which enabled us to tour most part of the island in three days. Dave and Tania are super hosts, with Venus and Katie's friendliness and companion, where else can we find a better place to stay on this lovely island.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
Ol_Gnome, Guest Relations Manager at Gnome's Hollow Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2015

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know we are doing a good job looking after our guests. Venus and Katie's friendliness and companionship make them great ambassadors for our B&B. Thanks again for your comments and hope to see you again soon.