“Great roast dinner...delicious!”

The Castle Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Hurst
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: I believe the Castle Inn has been under new management for about the last six months and is gaining a strong local reputation for its restaurant.
Reviewed 9 February 2016

Two of us went here for Sunday, I had beef roast dinner, which was delicious! Great sized portion...too much in fact! Great roast potatoes, perfectly cooked beef, it was as good as a homemade roast. My husband had the burger which was also delicious, very large portion with some lovely skin-on chips. The staff behind the bar were very friendly, and I overheard the chef going through vegetarian options with someone else, and he seemed very helpful. We'll definitely be back!

Reviewed 1 February 2016

The Castle serves very good pub food. Nearer to restaurant standard than a pub, in fact. The beer is good, and prices are OK for the standard of food. Staff are friendly and efficient. On the downside the main dining room is lacking a bit of character. All dark wood and low lighting. Overall, would recommend.

Reviewed 24 January 2016 via mobile

We had a lovely meal here last night celebrating my birthday a few days early. We had heard the place had changed hands and with only one member of the staff present that we had seen before and a few changes in the bar and restaurant area that seemed to be so. We did ask however and were told the owner, the chef was still in residence. We enjoyed a pre dinner drink in the bar area myself a pint of Binghams Twyford Tipple, my wife a Proseco while we looked at the menus. As usual on a Saturday a few specials carried over from the fish Friday day.

We then sat down and had our meal with a very nice bottle of Malbec at £20. I had the Welsh mussels in a creamy green Thai sauce with coconut which was very nice with bread on the side, this from the specials menu. I then had the steak and kidney pudding with mash and vegetables which was divine. My wife had the pan fried rump of lamb served with dauphinoise potatoes, French beans and chorizo mixed bean cassoulet. My wife said the lamb was very good.

We were full but ordered the cheese, a nice selection with excellent chutney, bread and biscuits with grapes etc. We also had a port each.

New owners or not the food was as good as ever and the service friendly, efficient and personal. Not finishing the cheese they parcelled it up for us to take home in our taxi.
Perfect.

Reviewed 23 January 2016

I've been wanting to try The Castle for some time...but unfortunately what a disappointment. I think tonight they may have had a large party and we were also booked early at 7.30. But the bar was packed and we were ushered into a room on our own. Another hour til anyone joined us. The food was ok, nothing special. No mushroom starter, that's just bad management. The bread and hommous ?.. Hommous great, bread like what you'd buy in m&s. The boar patty' ok nothing special. Main
S OK, limited pudding menu, liqueur coffee warm not hot. No wine menu offered, no wine cooler.

Reviewed 23 January 2016 via mobile

We are fairly regular diners to this restaurant. We love the food and atmosphere. The staff are very friendly. The whole experience is just great.
Prices are top end but the quality of the food is ver good indeed. Great variety of choices and some unusual options as well.
Cellar is good and draft beer choice is limited but local and good quality.
Service is unhurried but efficient.
Great job! We'll be back .......again!

1  Thank reelvideoman