“Perfect stay at a perfect castle”

Hotel Burg Trendelburg
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Perfect stay at a perfect castle”
Reviewed 10 October 2011

This castle was awesome! The decor, the facade, the bedroom - they upgraded us to the honeymoon suite with the duvets arranged in a heart. The food at the restaurant was also excellent. The staff was very attentive - I didn't get the name of the receptionist, who doubled as our waitress, but she was pretty awesome: Friendly, good with recommendations, spoke fluent English, and she was always on hand whenever we needed her, yet gave us a lot of space and privacy during dinner. Wifi was also available. It was a very quaint and charming stay. Even the toiletries smelled divine. I can't recommend this place more. Totally loved it. I felt this was one of my best hotel stays ever and definitely one to remember fondly.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Oshkosh, WI
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed one night in this 700 plus year old castle. The rooms are large, filled with antiques, and completely lovely and charming! The beds are made up quite romantically with the blankets folded into a large heart shape. It is fun to open closet doors and find your bathroom in one! Lovely set up and excellent free wifi service which was a great surprise! We ate dinner and enjoyed drinks with a majestic view over the area. What a fun stop on our Fairy Tale Road adventure.

Room Tip: Pack light...you might have 3-4 flights of stairs to carry things up.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Houston, TX
Reviewed 24 January 2011

My fiancé, daughter (11 years old at the time,) and I stayed at this hotel for a few nights in July 2010 as one of our stops on the Fairytale Road. It was around $200 a night. We are independent travelers and never use tour guides or travel agents when traveling in Europe (just Rick Steves travel books) and we just happened to stumble upon this hotel on the internet so we were not sure what to expect. We really wanted to stay at Sleeping Beauty’s castle in Sababurg but it was booked for the dates we needed. We did visit it though.

As another reviewer has already stated this is a 700 year old castle. The castle itself is beautiful and the scenery was amazing. We really enjoyed exploring the castle and the surrounding area. The only down side was that they don’t allow anybody to go into the tower which is a shame since this is “Rapunzel’s Castle.” The front desk staff was friendly and they spoke English. There was a wedding taking place at the castle one of the days we were there and, as a newly engaged person, I think that would be a magical place to get married at! There isn’t much near the castle in the way of grocery stores or tourist attractions and a car is pretty much a necessity to get around in the area and along the Fairytale Road route in general. We used the castle as a launching point to make day trips to other points along the Fairytale Road.

The restaurant at the hotel has amazing views of the country side and we really enjoyed the continental breakfast. If I remember correctly the breakfast was included in the price of our room. Dinner wasn’t bad either although we only ate dinner at the castle one night.

As another reviewer already stated the castle has no a/c which was a problem since it was very hot in Germany when we were there and our room did not have a cross breeze. It was cool at night outdoors but since our room wasn’t positioned to have a cross breeze it was very hot in our room since there was no air circulation. Thankfully the front desk had a small oscillating fan that they were able to lend us. That made the room a little more comfortable at night but still not great. The room wasn’t comfortably cool until we opened the window in the room and propped the hallway door open. That created a cross breeze but of course we couldn’t sleep with the door open. The door also had some type of sensor on it that beeped when the door was left open but if you just ignored it for a minute or two it would stop so we were able to keep our door propped open when we were not sleeping.

Our room had one full size bed so my daughter and I slept in that and my finance slept on the floor. He rock/mountain climbs as a hobby and he had brought the pallet he sleeps on while hiking/climbing just for situations like this so it wasn’t a huge deal. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were not so much. The room was a decent size though especially considering this was Europe and rooms tend to be much smaller on average than they are in the United States. It was very quite at night even with the window open. The castle sits up on a hill overlooking a very small town so there was little to no traffic. The sunsets were amazing from our room though and in the absence of city lights the stars were very visible from our window at night. It was magical.

The room had a private bathroom with shower (with great water pressure and plenty of hot water) but the shower was in a weird location. It was actually detached from the bathroom and was in the entrance area of the room so my fiancé had to leave the room when my daughter and I took showers and we left the room when he took a shower. The fact that the shower was located in the bedroom area didn’t do much to help with the heat situation in the room since all the steam only made it hotter in the room. I cant remember if there were wash clothes in the room or not. I learned a long time ago to bring my own wash clothes when I travel in Europe since they aren’t a given like here in the United States and I recommend you do the same if you are use to using one.

There was no wifi connection at the hotel which was an issue for us since we are independent travelers and don’t use travel agents or guides and as a result we book hotels and research what we want to do in the area as we go. As another reviewer stated though there was a T-Mobile hotspot in the area and we were also able to pick up a weak signal on it for our laptop.

There is no elevator in the hotel so if you have a problem with climbing stairs and/or travel with lots of luggage like I do and don't want to lug it up flights of stairs this might not be the place for you to stay.

All things considered this was a great place to stay. It was very exciting for my 11 year old daughter and I highly recommend you stay at a castle along the Fairytale Road especially if you are traveling with children.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Helsingborg, Sweden
Reviewed 8 December 2010

It´s romantic. It´s spooky. It´s a fairytale. It´s also a bit worn down but I´m planning to go back because of it´s charm and history. I just love the place. My first visit there was 1989, my second twenty years later in 2009. It will not take twenty years until my next vist.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SynvisO
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 18 August 2010

We stayed at this hotel for one night while doing a self-planned trip up the fairy-tale road. The staff was exceptional. When we arrived, the manager checked us in, then walked us to our room. We'd reserved the room without asking for anything for our kids. They had upgraded our room, plus gave us an extra bed and a play pen for our son and daughter. The room was huge. It had nice touches to it. At dinner and breakfast, they already had a table set up for us, including a high chair and a gender specific napkins for our kids. They really thought about us and tried to make things easier on us. The food was good, but pricey. The waitresses were great. They made sure that the kids were served the meals quickly. I highly recommedn this hotel to anyone seeking a relaxing break, especially if you have kids. All of the staff speaks fluent English.
There is a spa and Sauna on the grounds, but we didn't partake.

I do not recommend this hotel for people with disabilities or people needing to carrying large items into their room. There is no elevator. There are steep, winding stairs.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trendelburg
22.8 km away
Hardenberg BurgHotel
#1 of 2 in Norten-Hardenberg
33.5 km away
Park Inn by Radisson Gottingen

Been to Hotel Burg Trendelburg? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK