All reviews the river byward market across the street alexandra bridge jacques cartier park parliament building a river view room convenience store history museum short walk national gallery excellent location gatineau ottawa indoor pool convenient location front desk staff close to downtown
Reviewed 8 February 2019

Two evenings in row I had to deal with loud rowdy guests around my room, with little or no help from hotel management. Upon my check out I was promised a reimbursement of my parking fees for the two nights stay as compensation and as of today my credit card does not show a credit and I don't think it will, not from them anyway, they seems to be an all talk no actions from management.In conclusion, cleanliness and comfort does not equal peacefulness in my book as a senior person who enjoys tranquility over hostility.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
BWPlusGatineauOttawa, Vice President of Operations at Best Western Plus Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your comments alavigne77,

I thank you for your review, I can empathize with your feelings on this subject very well, and can only apologize for the unpleasant situation you experienced. Offering comfortable accommodations to our guests is our greatest priority. We sincerely value the comments of all our travelers and based on your comment, I will be personally looking into changes that can improve the hotel and services.

Again, I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations, should your travels brings you back to the National Capital region, We would be pleased to assist you in any way possible.

Reviewed 5 February 2019

I want to preface this with I am a seasoned traveller, I travel mostly for business and probably have about 8-10 trips a year totalling about 30-45 days. I will add in that I sleep like a rock and once I am asleep it takes a lot to wake/bother me – if this wasn’t the case I would have left this hotel after day one no matter how far away I needed to stay. My point to that blurb is never ever have I experienced anything like this before.

The good:

1) Room is clean (this is a deal breaker – dirty room I leave)
2) Bed is reasonably comfortable
3) The one manager I spoke to who moved my room for me was genuinely a nice guy, he wanted to help but some things are beyond his control.

The Bad:
1) Day one, arrive and am told I am on the 9th floor (top), but it faces the city. I ask for a view of Ottawa and get it (thank you) on the 5th floor. Nice view. So I go out for dinner, I come back to what only can be described as tour bus hell. There are at least 150 people in the lobby checking in. I manage to get up to my floor. What the literal hell – the walls are paper thin and these people are playing musical instruments (they are good at it at least) but the walls are so damn thin. I call down and am told “I will tell my manager….TOMORROW!” (yes not today) I cant be moved as there are no rooms.
2) Day two, I am sure it was a fluke and I trudge up to my room. Nope not a fluke, walls are still paper thin. Its insane how much I can hear. Call #1 reception says the same thing. I tell her to get me moved, she cant. She will have her manager call me on my cell tomorrow (never happens btw), call #2 its 1030PM and a staff member is pushing a laundry cart up and down the hall. Its so loud!! I tell him to stop it and he does. Still no rooms available.
3) Day three, no call to me as requested so I stop at front desk see manager and get moved to “quieter” corner room on the ninth floor facing Ottawa (nice view, thanks). He tells me all those tourists are checking out and 9 is much quieter. (its not) it is under construction to some degree, but only during business hours and not on the weekend – perfect.
4) Day four, a hockey tournament checks in – its so noisy – why didn’t I check out you say? Well #1 there is a festival (Winterlude) and hotels are booked, #2 solace in that I sleep like a rock – see above.
5) Day five, Friday - there are no do not disturb signs for the doors (at least my room) so I ask the manager for one. I tell him this is only so I can use it Saturday. He tells me they have none and tells me he will flag my room. I come back after working to a DND on my door and a uncleaned room. They get it done.
6) Day six, since they don’t give you any water in this hotel I ask the receptionist for some, she suggests I fill a jug in the washroom. I decline.
7) Day seven, still noisy
8) Day eight, thank god I’m checking out. Woke up at 630 (almost time to get up) by construction workers talking quietly in the hall. Yes that’s how thin the walls are. Due to a late business meeting I needed a late check out, check out is 11 – I needed 1230, not unreasonable given what I went through – nope 12PM is the max no exceptions.

My conclusions:

• If you are a business traveller avoid this hotel at all costs. The walls are paper thin, the elevators are absolutely insanely slow.

• Tip envelope - one of the weirdest things I have ever had at any hotel was the cleaning staff leave a nice little envelope with their names on it so you can tip. I have never seen anything like that before. If you ignore it they will move it to more prominent places in the room, like your pillow, your bedside lamp etc.

• Staff here are generally unhelpful “ill tell my manager tomorrow”.

• Exterior is a crazy death trap, the front has really slippery “marble” which they do salt frequently, but the only way to get into and out of the property by foot is walk out of the parking lot which the hotel is essentially built on a small hill, so its difficult in winter.

• I concede it wouldn’t have made anything better, but a gesture of here’s some bottled water, here’s a meal at the restaurant or something would have been nice. I never asked for it as truly it wouldn’t have made anything better but still it speaks to the general lack of customer service at this hotel. If I was best Western corporate reading this I would be ashamed. This hotel is a perfect example of we don’t care anymore and we will suck every last dollar out of this place before we put one into it. I have stayed in more then one BW and to say I was surprised and disappointed is a understatement.

• The view is amazing.

Room tip: River gives a nice view of Ottawa
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
BWPlusGatineauOttawa, Vice President of Operations at Best Western Plus Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2019

Dear Mr. Seankiely,

Thank you for taking the time to complete this TripAdvisor review and comment regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. There are numerous items that you have mentioned which is unacceptable and below the level of service that the Best Western Plus Gatineau-Ottawa prides ourselves on. I will personally look into each issue that you mentioned to implement improvements, ensuring we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

Please feel free to reach out to me personally to discuss any other problems that you may have had so that they can be addressed for future stays.

Reviewed 4 February 2019

Convenient location for Winterlude Activities especially Park across the road. Rooms are average but clean and well maintained. Only wish was that we new about pool closure when we booked. Gave us free parking to make up for inconvenience.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Daydream18923628677,

Thank you for completing the TripAdvisor review and for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at our property.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We are almost finished renovating our pool and invite you back to come and see us again soon!

Reviewed 30 January 2019

The staff at this location have customer service down to a science. From the staff at the main desk to the cleaning lady they go out of their way to make sure you are completely satisfied and have no concerns. They make you feel like your part of the family when you stay here.
I also had the pleasure of experiencing the staff at the attached restaurant called O'Laurier. I had supper there and after such an awesome experience I also wanted to see what the breakfast was like. The food was flavourable beyond comprehension and the price was more than reasonable. I told a friend about my meals when I got back to Vancouver and he was sure it must have cost me well over a hundred dollars. When I say their prices were more than reasonable it did not cost me more than forty dollars and trust me just the presentation would have cost me more than double anywhere else. The staff in the restaurant including even the bus boy made my experience unforgettable as their service surpassed any where else. If you live in the area and want to take you wife, husband, girlfriend or boyfriend to an unforgettable culinary experience then this is the place to go and your partner will love you for the experience.

Room tip: All the rooms are good as I was on the 8th floor and the views were awesome at night and during the day.
Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear Michaelguige,

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We are glad you enjoyed your meals at O'Laurier Cafe Bistro and overall experience at the Best Western Plus Gatineau-Ottawa. We hope you will come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed 24 January 2019

We got a room facing the Parliament Hill for the NYE celebrations. We had a few friends with us in the room, got the best view of the fireworks.
Service was superb at check in, rooms are nice... I hear that the 9th floor is under renovation and supposed to be beautiful. The lobby is all renovated also, they seem to be upgrading the hotel to a brand new look.
The room was contained everything we needed, a great size room adding a comfy bed. It could use some minor TLC but overall, the location in the midst of Hull with a short walk to Ottawa's Byward Market, its clean, it was quiet.
From what we could see every unite facing the Parliament Hill had a balcony, again a plus for us.

Room tip: Ask for a south side room, best view in the city. Corner suites available with balcony.
Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Rolandbast,

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon!