“Great food”

Rossmount Inn Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 October 2017

This is a wonderful place and we will try it again.

The setting is gorgeous. The building and its decor are marvelous. We had two reasonably priced but very good, creative cocktails. Most important, perhaps, is that our food was amazing. My wife had surf and turf and both were cooked perfectly tender and juicy. I had the beef cheeks, which must have been the most tender beef I've ever eaten. The sauces on both entrees were both great ... added flavor without overpowering the entree.

The only downside that disappointed us was the service. We felt rushed from the moment we got there. They managed to get us in and out in 55 minutes ... that was with cocktails, a nice, big salad, the entree and wine.

We waited for 5 minutes upon entry before anyone greeted us. When we sat down they handed us the cocktail menu and asked immediately if we knew what we wanted...no! Then as soon as we put down those menus down and ordered the cocktails she asked us if we had made any progress on the food menu ... no!. We were still looking at it a few minutes later and she asked the same question...no!. I would describe her as "indifferent" ... she never introduced herself and didn't seem like she wanted to be there. The room was only 1/3 full for our early reservation but once we "finally" ordered a very large group filled the rest of the room. Without a word to us, she took over that group and a very charming waitress took us over .. also without introducing herself.

Again, the food and setting are amazing .. wish we had felt welcome and been made comfortable. They should realize that every patron there who is NOT staying at the Inn is a potential customer for staying there someday.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Lovely old inn run by an excellent chef! We had the lobster and it was heavenly! Service was very good - felt a bit rushed but all in all it was a lovely evening. They have a gorgeous patio but it was a bit chilly ...would be a nice place to sit and take in the views on a warmer evening!

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

My husband and I just finished one of the best dinners we have ever had in a restaurant. I am more of a foodie than is my husband but we both enjoyed it incredibly. We started by sharing a salad with beets and a honey lavender vinaigrette, and then he had the haddock and I had the surf and turf. We shared the apple beignets. Everything was perfectly prepared to our liking. It was so delicious that I will remember this dining experience for a very long time. The ambience of the dining room (and the Inn!) is lovely. The wait staff is very attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. We live so far away from St. Andrews (about 1,200 miles away!) the chances of us ever coming back are slim to none but if we ever do the Rossmount Inn will definitely be a place we will dine again.

Reviewed 27 September 2017

While the menu is somewhat limited, the Inn offers food that cooked to perfection. Many ingredients are grown on-premise and you can see they pride themselves on making diners happy. Nice wine list for those who like it with dinner or try the bar as well.

Reviewed 27 September 2017

A little bit out of town you will come upon a stately former mansion sitting on a large property which houses a hotel-I wish that we had stayed there-and a charming restaurant. We were seated promptly in one of the several rooms. Our server was delightful-friendly,knowlegable, without being intrusive. All of our dishes were excellent from start to finish. If you love food, make the trip!