“Convenient to our hotel ... and very good”

Restaurant L'ancrage
Ranked #18 of 135 Restaurants in Magog
Reviewed 8 October 2018

We were staying at Hotel Etoile-sur-le-Lac and this is the hotel's restaurant. We opted for the breakfast package so we ate breakfast there the 5 days of our stay. Breakfasts were hearty and delicious. Between the two of us, we sampled most of the breakfast options. We enjoyed them all... from the scrambled eggs to the French toast to the crepes to the eggs benedict. No disappointment. I wish I knew how they made their wonderful breakfast potatoes! We also had 2 dinners at the restaurant. For our first dinner, I had the salad with thinly sliced raw beets and husband had the soup. He had the filet mignon and I had the veal liver, which I never find on menus at home. Both meals were outstanding. For our second dinner, we both had the soup of the day, and we both the green and white asparagus lasagna. We did not enjoy these main courses as much as we did the first night. They were fine... just not what we had expected. We did enjoy dessert that night. Crème brulée and chocolate mousse cake. We also had very nice wines with both our dinners.

Service was pleasant and efficient. Several mornings at breakfast, there was only one server and she was amazing... always right there with the coffee as soon as our cups were getting low. I wish I remembered her name.

We thought it would be convenient to have breakfast here since it was right at the hotel, as well as convenient for dinner our first night after travelling, as well as our last night. The restaurant was certainly convenient, but it was also very good! I'd recommend it even if you are not staying at the hotel. In fact, we were talking to some locals at some point during our stay in Magog and they told us that this is one of the local restaurants they enjoy going to.

valerieL8107YI, Responsable des relations clients at Restaurant L'ancrage, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi ShaliOgt,

thank you so much for taking the time to share your impressions of our restaurant. We are VERY glad that you had a great experience !

We will share your good words to our team !

Reviewed 25 August 2018

This restaurant has a lovely view of the lake. It has a touch of elegance with cloth napkins and umbrellas on the tables, but not much else to offer. Our server was bi-lingual and quite pleasant.

The menu is very limited, which I hoped would mean excellent food. I was disappointed. Though the presentation of my meal was very nice, the food made me regret spending money on it. I started with a green leaf salad which was beautifully presented and quite tasty, with thin slices of multi-colored, red and white beets. The main dish was not good at all. I ordered chicken masala with quinoa and black beans. The quinoa mix was tasty but the chicken was dried out. When I complained, the server promptly brought me a replacement chicken masala, but it, too, wasn't tasty and was dried out.

My dinner companion ordered salmon which he said was "OK"...moist but not particularly flavorful.

We also had to wait about 10 minutes to be seated, even though there was just one party ahead of us and there were plenty of empty tables. I got the feeling the place isn't well-managed. I would not be inclined to return to this restaurant.

valerieL8107YI, Responsable des relations clients at Restaurant L'ancrage, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2018

Hi GwenTessa,

thank you for taking the time to share your impressions with us. We will take good notes of your comments up there.

Reviewed 23 May 2018

This restaurant is in the hotel Les etoile sur le lac, we were in this hotel, and didn't want to go out in a raining evening. Thanks to this restaurant, we still had a wonderful evening with delitieuse food, good service and beautiful view of the lake.

1  Thank chinecrs
Reviewed 21 December 2017

Probably the best location in the city with the worst food and service. The staff looks like they are beaten up and they don't honor the citizens card in the summer which I do not appreciate.

Reviewed 26 August 2017

Delicious food with courteous service. We ate in the relaxed atmosphere of the indoor dining room. Very enjoyable.