As a group of 12 (8 adults and 4 children), we needed a house with ample space both inside and outside. Jo's house in Brome provided a perfect frame for our Suffolk family vacation.
To sum up the most positive aspects for us:
- the large and modern family kitchen was perfect for the lazy family breakfasts and also had everything we needed to make all types of meals. We spent a lot of time in this room.
- the games room was great for the children of 5, 9 and 13. This room also had quite a few board games - most of them were too difficult to play with the children due to the language barrier (we are not native English speakers), but we found a few that were great.
- the top floor was perfect for a family of 5 - a double for the parents and a triple for the kids with their own separate bathroom.
- the garden was large and great for playing around. The outside sitting area was also much used.
- Jo, the owner, gave us all the necessary information before our stay, and even provided bicycles for us to borrow upon request - Thank you for that extra service!
- the welcome basket was great - it showed off some of the local specialities, and was greatly enjoyed!
We loved the house and our stay, but as always there are some points of improvement, so here's a list of advice:
- Some more outside/activity toys would be great.
- Some of the outside furniture could do with an upgrade. (input from the sun loving members of our group)
- The footpaths in the area are great, but a little tricky to find/understand. Maybe a map of the footpaths could be provided? (input from the joggers of the group)
Our daytrips from Brome included:
- Eye (lovely town, beer festival the week we were there)
- Bury St. Edmunds (wednesday market)
- Cambridge (drove to the newmarket park&ride)
- Lavenham (lovely, peaceful town)
- Southwold (charming seaside town, a visit to the Adnams brewery included)
We were 8 adults and 6 children (from 6 months to 12 years), Grandparents, Grandchildren, Cousins, Brothers, Sisters, Spouses, In-laws and so on. Dove Farmhouse turned out to be as near to perfect in terms of space, disposition of bedrooms, games room and gardens. We had a terrific Easter Egg Hunt in the garden; the table football and snooker were very popular (especially with the adult males) the nice big kitchen/diner meant we could invite over three other relatives, who lived nearby, to a big Sunday Lunch. Highly recommended - we'll come again next year.
We had a wonderful stay in delightful surroundings. Everything was provided from a well equipped kitchen to bed linen and towels. It was very clean throughout. My 2 year old granddaughter loved it as did we all. One small problem is that one of the bedrooms is off another bedroom so you need to be happy with someone possibly walking through in the night! All the relaxing areas were used and found to be very comfortable the table football and snooker were real hits with everyone.
A great place to stay with family.
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|
|Friends getaway||Families with young children|
Fantastic farmhouse that was perfect for celebrating a 90th birthday. All rooms are very comfortable and well furnished. Lovely garden with good seating area and plenty of parking. Well equipped kitchen and a very nice welcome pack. Would recommend the nearby Oaksmere Hotel for drinks, bar meals and restaurant meals.
We hired dove farmhouse for a family get together as my brother came home from Aus for a few weeks! There were 14 adults - three generations!! We couldn't believe how spacious it was! There was plenty of room for everyone to spread out! Games room was a bonus. Although the house was big it was still very homely! Garden was big with plenty of room for the youngsters to play cricket, badminton and have a kick around!! Plenty of seating for everyone inside and out with a lovely big barbeque which we made use of! surrounding area is beautiful! Had a nice lunch at the queens head in eye! Osksmere hotel is about a 5 to 10 minute walk down the road and although being refurbished there is still a nice bar and restaurant serving food and the grounds are lovely! Had a nice Sunday lunchtime drink there! Caroline, the property manager was really helpful responding quickly to my queries. I would recommend this property for any age. I would definitely go back without a doubt!! Superb!!