See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 November 2018 via mobile

My husband and I had a long grueling day and we had cancelled at a hotel that we booked because they had no water due to city work. We decided to settle for something more simple even though we are honeymooning as we wanted a shower and to turn in for the night. Upon first sight it felt a bit shady but the owners seemed friendly and kind so we paid, brought in our bags and headed up the stairs. When we got to the room neither of us could bear to stay. We turned down the bed to check it for bugs (a habit of mine at all hotels) and it was clean. HOWEVER the room only appeared clean it was totally GROSS! Noisy neighbors and busy traffic, broken lights, missing pieces of microwave, heat was broken, broken curtains, linen had a cigarette burn and was ripped on the bed and not enough towels. Balcony door was broken and didn't lock or seal properly causing the room to be cold. Recent but shabby renos and NOTHING LIKE THE PICTURES ONLINE! We had used the bathroom and opened a soap to wash our hands also we pulled the blankets off the bed to check for bed bugs so when I went back down to the office I asked for half of our money back as we had only been there for under half an hour. The owner wouldn't refund us at all. I don't recommend this place to anyone and it's NOT a hotel! It's not even a motel it's a hole. My husband was furious and I'm sure there's more that we didn't notice because we left right away. I'm sorry I always try to be positive but this was a TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE!

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2018 via mobile

Finally I can see good changes coming to this property. I like the location which was the only reason I stay in this hotel but the picture is changed now. Much improved, keep it up. Staff is more attentive and building is more clean than last time I stayed.

Date of stay: October 2018
2  Thank dokuwhichlarry
TheNew401Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at The New 401 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for your kind review! We work hard to make our guests happy. We look forward to see you again.

Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

If you plan on staying at the 401-inn you should seriously think again. It is unbelievably dirty, they only take garbage from your room when they feel like it, the fridge doesn’t not work, AC is terrible, nothing to cook with if you have a kitchenette (no dishes, pots, pans etc) never mind there’s no kettle or coffee pot, other comments talk about the price and how cheap it is, and that is exactly what you get NOTHING. Maybe stay down on Hastings street would be more enjoyable. .Therefore just take your hard earned money and go else where, let’s say your own tent in a provincial campground, where it would so much cleaner and a lot more enjoyable, except the drive to work. P,S Unbelievable that this place is allowed to stay open promoting THE NEW 401 It blows my mind. NEVER AGAIN, NEVER!!!!

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Courtney L
Reviewed 1 September 2018

Newly renovated rooms were clean and comfortable. Clearly they are still working on the renovations. (glasses, a chair, etc still not in rooms). However, the price is such that it was no big deal. Cute courtyard and balcony overlooking Vancouver skyline and up to Grouse Mountain were enjoyable.
Very friendly staff.

Room tip: 2nd floor facing mountains
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

Really nothing wrong here. Free parking, cheapest rate in Burnaby and the room is clean and it appears safe. I am one day in Vancouver for business and it is high season. I am just here to shower and sleep so I am not complaining. Internet is free.
It is right on boundary road, which is a really busy 8 lane road. It is really hard to pull up or off the hotels parking lot.

Date of stay: August 2018