New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Sandman Hotel Castlegar

Sandman Hotel Castlegar
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Castlegar
Kaslo
“Good Location, Good Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

I really don't want to complain, so I'll try and focus on the positives. The hotel lobby was beautiful and nicely decorated. The front desk clerk was very nice and informative. The room was a decent size, although if I had been listening I wouldn't have gone for the 'two double bed' option instead I would have chosen the 'king with a pull out' option. The beds were pretty comfortable, but me and my husband are used to sleeping in a king, so we didn't sleep very well. The room had crumbs on the floor, but other than that it was clean. The pool was definitely the best part! It was warm and had a decent amount of 'shallow' areas for me and my seven year old. My four year old still stuck to the steps since she can't swim yet. The pool made for a great work out on the day we arrived and the day we left (we only stayed one night). I saw signs for an exercise facility, but since I didn't bring my workout gear I didn't even try to find it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

I was here for one week in October 2011.

The room was okay, but as most have mentioned were quite rundown.

The staff were nice as well, but also a bit rundown.

The cost was mediocre. It was close to safeway and it had a mini kitchen which were some of the reasons I went to this hotel. I really enjoy not eating at a restaurant three meals a day for a week in a row so I specifically wanted a hotel with a kitchenette.

I would stay here again, but out of necessity. I do wish that they would fluff this hotel up a bit, but hey, it's small town and I don't really expect that much about small town hotels.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

I've been to this hotel several times and it's been the only feasible option in town.

It's rather practical, near what you need. It's rather comfortable, although there are some smelly rooms.

For those (like me) who don't enjoy eating alone in a restaurant and looking like a looser, there's a fridge and a MW.

There are some facilities (pool and sauna) I never used. Plenty of parking, good access to main spots.

Free wireless internet available. They used to have a restaurant (which was awful) that seems be closed. Thus, no breakfast (they put some doughnuts and croissants at the front desk for the guests to grab and go, no table, no chair, no service).

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back or at the east side.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Lethbridge, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

My wife and I stayed here and had the worst night we've ever experienced. The rooms themselves were okay, but after an hour and a half of sleep, we awoke to an intense smell of burning plastic--or something that smelled really toxic and hot. We had checked in late at night, so we stumbled our way to the front desk and got another room to stay in for the remaining few hours. We had two keys, so we could move our things in the morning.

Whatever that smell was, it made us sick and my wife was pregnant. I have allergies, so between the two (three) of us I was pretty concerned about our health. In the morning I spoke to the girl at the desk and told her about what had happened. She was totally unconcerned with our experience, unapologetic, and firmly insistent that we pay up fully and go about our way. I asked to speak with a manager and got to speak with the marketing manager, I think--no one else was available. This lady eyed me with suspicion and offered me outright lies about what had happened in our room. She told me that this morning a mantainence man had been in to test the air quality and found no trace of plastic fumes. Right. Firstly, I had been in and out of both rooms moving our stuff at the exact time that this maintenance guy was supposedly in there. Secondly, if Castlegar hotel cleaning staff have some kind of exotic plastic-fumes-detection devices that somehow pick up the dozens of possible toxic chemicals from burning plastic it's news to me. finally, she had the audacity to give us gift certificates for more Sandman hotel stays rather than a refund. And, get this, they were not valid until I had chalked up several more stays!

If I had not still been reeling from the chemical fumes (whatever they were) I'd have taken a much firmer stand. As it is, all I can do now is write this review.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MarkOnline

Travellers are raving about these Castlegar hotels

Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

Hotel is run down and offers no value for their over-inflated rates.
My room featured stained furnishings and carpets; dried lettuce in the fridge; burn marks in the bedspread; fake wood panelling that had peeled away and was sticking out several inches; dirty toilet featuring hair ;pictures and furniture from the 90s( i recognize these from other Sandman Hotels in the 1990s, ).
Garbage bag left overnight in the hallway, then moved 10 ft in the AM--still there upon checkout.
This hotel chain has no standards and only want your money --they do not care about safety or comfort of their guests.

Will not be back to any Sandman Hotels ever

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank 226oko
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlegar
0.1 km away
0.4 km away
Super 8 Castlegar BC
Super 8 Castlegar BC
#1 of 8 in Castlegar

Been to Sandman Hotel Castlegar? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK