“poor staff”

Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Courtenay
Reviewed 25 November 2011

I was really disappointed with my stay at Kingfisher. I went with my family, and although it was a beautiful location, the staff treated us very poorly. I felt like I was a "bother" to the staff by being there. Unfortunately unless you have a car to drive into town, you are obliged to eat at their restaurant at the resort. I've heard reviews that raved about the sea food at their restaurant, so you could understand my disappointment when their sea food dishes left a lot to be desired. Not to mention those who served us acted like they HAD to be there and did not WANT to be there. My family and I took part in the hydrotherapy walk, and I understand that a quiet, tranquil spa environment is encouraged, but the woman leading us through the treatment would shoot us dirty looks anytime we tried to have a quiet conversation with one another. I can honestly say that I've NEVER been to a place before where I felt this unwelcome. I was thoroughly disappointed with my stay at Kingfisher, and I would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank kellilena
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 15 November 2011

My husband and I took advantage of the Kingfisher's November special and received an excellent discount on a Ocean Front room. The room was very nice. Clean, comfortable and we enjoyed the fireplace and balcony overlooking the beach. The room contains a small kitchenette, which would be nice if you were staying a few days.
We also used the Hydropath at the Spa, which I highly recommend. Very relaxing.
We had lunch at the onsite restraunt, and found it to be fine. Slightly pricey for the amount of food you get, but good all the same. Would definitely return (at the discounted prices).

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mitca
Reviewed 9 November 2011

My daughter was married at the Kingfisher last weekend, Nov. 5th. Considering the time of year, even the weather co-operated!
The staff at the Kingfisher went out of their way to make Mindy and Rob's experience a memory they will cherish and enjoy the rest of their lives.
We stayed Friday and Saturday nights. The rooms were clean, well appointed and the beds comfortable.
Saturday morning found us at the Hydrapath, or as I called it '101 Ways of Getting Wet'. What a fun and relaxing start to the wedding day and it set the tone for the rest of the day.
Sarah, the event co-ordinator, did a super job. She took on all the little stress makers alleviating us of any worries. What a treat!
The kitchen staff and the head chef prepared a feast for the wedding guests making a special effort to accommodate everyone's dietary needs. They succeeded, going over and above anything we expected.
The Sunday brunch was just incredible. We all agreed it was probably the best one we've seen.
I'm looking forward to booking another weekend soon, just for my husband and I.

Room Tip: I once thought the only rooms to book would be an ocean front, but having stayed this time in an oce...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 October 2011

I just got back from a 3 day trip with my sister. We make this a yearly trip and have had great experiences for the past 3 years. There has been a drastic change! Menu items have changed such as the calamari. Now they serve calarmari "steak" (never heard of such a thing). They were very greasy and tasted suspiciously like frozen fish sticks. The bread sampler plate only came with 3 small thimble sized dips. The steamer basket came with old, overcooked seafood which they tried to cover up with a very sweet sauce which overpowered the whole dish. In past years this dish was very fresh and tasted more of lemongrass and fresh vegetables. Breakfast was horrible! The huervos rancheros with mesa sauce looked like two dried up black balls on my plate. I was horrified and turned off. The sauce was obviously overcooked and the hash browns were dried up and obviously reheated over and over. My sister had the West coast hash which contained what seemed like old salmon, overcooked eggs (which they did replace) and a horrible sweet mustard sauce??!! AND the "hash" was just the very same hash browns that were on my plate. Not very inventive. Tea by the Sea was also a waste of time. It contained very heavy sandwiches that were messy. The smoked tuna polluted the whole plate. The pastries were boring and probably came from a grocery store. Tea sandwiches are suppose to be dainty not sloppy and heavy. Also the tea was just ordinary tea bag tea. This food was not spa food. There were no fresh fruits or vegetables. Thank god we rented a car so we could drive somewhere to get decent food. The spa services are still very good, however; their shelves are bare if you want to buy any products or merchandise. The rooms were still o.k. but the little touches such as bottled water being left in the room everyday are missing. This place has gone downhill. Do yourselves a favour folks, stay somewhere else and just use this as a day spa.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
9  Thank Madeline M
Reviewed 15 October 2011

My best friend from back East came out to visit and we wanted to do something lazy and luxurious so we headed up to the Kingfisher for a day at the spa. It was awesome!! From the moment we arrived we were given the royal treatment. We started off with a relaxing massage, spent an hour luxuriating in their wonderful hydropath, soaking and scrubbing away any last bits of tension and then enjoyed a delicious lunch overlooking the ocean. How does it get any better than that!!

Room Tip: Book early so that you can get the treatments you want. They are very busy at the spa. If you are...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Catherine L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
7.8 km away
59.5 km away
Tigh-Na-Mara Resort
Tigh-Na-Mara Resort
#4 of 13 in Parksville

Been to Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK