“Warm & Cozy”

Ranked #6 of 18 Golden B&B and Inns
Edmonton, Canada
“Warm & Cozy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

Me and my boyfriend just stayed at the lodge for 3 nights. Simply put - AMAZING!! Doris and Norbert make this lodge feel more like home with their warm hospitality and home-cooked meals. We met some lovely people in the common area of the lodge and it felt more like a bunch of friends staying there, rather than a bunch of hotel guests who don't know each other. The bed was unbelievably comfortable - it was tempting to stay in bed all day. The view was breathtaking - with it being slightly outside of Golden, it was truly a mountain getaway. We weren't huge fans of Kicking Horse itself, but we'll come back to Golden just for the Glenogle and to see Doris and Norbert again!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JeanineFG
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

We stayed here for one night after a day of skiing at Kicking Horse. We found this resort to be perfect for us. The room (2 bedroom suite #6) was spotless, spacious and the beds were cozy and comfy. Dinner was delicious and competively priced. Breakfast was fantastic and Doris's pancakes are not to be missed. As we arrived and left in the dark we couldn't appreciate the scenery but I'm sure it's spectacular.

• Stayed January 2012
Aberdeen
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights in December for skiing in the area. We had read the TripAdvisor reports before booking & were looking forward to our stay. On arrival our first impressions were not really what we expected or hoped for. There is no doubt that Doris is very friendly & helpful, but the lodge is not the quality you would expect for the price and it is run like it is their own home rather than a business.
We were asked to take off our shoes and leave them on the floor at the front door with everyone else's. Doris was reluctant to give us a key to our room to keep our computers, passport etc secure, saying that there was no crime at the lodge (clearly she knew that all her guests are trustworthy...!). The room was described as deluxe, but I would rate it at 3 B&B stars at best. For Can$125+tax per night room only we thought this was poor value for money. We also noticed on the lodge flyer that "breakfast included" had been scored out, so clearly a decision had been made to remove this from the price and charge guests extra. We bought our own breakfast or ate elsewhere as a result.
This accommodation may be secluded and friendly, and a lot of people love it, but it wasn't for us and we wished we had paid more attention to the less favourable reviews.

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steve B
Crossfield, AB
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

I had great expectations for this spa before going up for my treatments. I got there and the lodge was so quiet, no one at the desk or in the restaurant area. Finally someone called out to me and said to have a seat in the restaurant area. I went well prepared for some down time, so dug out my book and started reading.

About 10 minutes later a lady asked if I would like some tea,and seeing it was quite cool in the lodge, I did, it was very good. (I kept my winter jacket on the whole time)

The lady that was to do my massage was about 15 minutes late and no one informed me that she would be late. I wasn't too worried because I was prepared for a layed back day anyway.

When the lady came to do my massage I was asked to go upstairs and brought into a big room with 2 massage beds. She was very nice, asked the appropriate questions and had me disrobe and get ready for my massage. She could only do my massage with me on my front. I am not sure why. It was quite relaxing, but the room was very chilly... felt cooler after relaxing with the massage.

After the massage I had a pedicure. The lady set up in the corner of the same room, which felt odd, since I was still naked from my massage and not quite sure what to do with myself. She did tell me that she would be setting up in there, but I got restless laying waiting for her to leave, so I grabbed my blanket and clothes and went into the ajoining bathroom.

My pedicure was made good by having such a great lady doing it for me. She was very nice, but it all seemed unprofessional. I was sitting in the corner of the big room in something like a rocking chair with a pillow behind me, blanket over me - since I was cold - and my feet soaking in a home spa tub...the kind that will bubble and lightly massage.

It all seemed unprofessional and seemed quite highly priced for such an atmostphere - $199.00 + taxes for massage and pedicure.

I would go back for supper or lunch up there again. The sandwich I had was very good. But not for a spa day again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank ktpostill
Oppdal Municipality, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

We (4 norwegians) came to Canada to go skiing in Kicking Horse. After som weeks skiing our bodies needed some care, and luckily we were recommended Doris` massage. We went there and fell in love with the place. What a beautiful lodge! Not to mention the wonderful massage. We just wanted to stay there. Some days later we went back and ate the best food I have ever tasted. Doris is a wonderful chef, and I would like to go back just to eat with you and Norbert again. What a meal!
I highly recommend this place to everyone looking for a place to stay in Golden. This lodge just have to be experienced.
And when you go there, you will probably get a big hug from Doris. This woman know how to hug!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Golden
3.8 km away
Ramada Limited Golden
#10 of 19 in Golden
30.3 km away
Emerald Lake Lodge

Been to Glenogle Mountain Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK