All reviews weather conditions helicopter ride remote location grant terrain dave backcountry composting alpine hikers sauna hiking shower guests rockies hosts wood
Reviewed 15 September 2017

We chose to go to Mistaya because all our family love wilderness and we live across the globe so we wanted to find somewhere that we could spend real time together. We did not stay in the lodge but in the separate family cabin which is about 50m from the lodge. It was perfect for our needs - there were 6 of us and the cabin would have accommodated 8. Because the lodge was not full, they offered to cook dinners for us (at a reasonable cost) and we self catered for the rest. We did not use the guides because our daughter is an experienced hiker with spot device and good map reading. This is not a luxury lodge - it is a truly self sufficient property with run of river micro hydro, solar panels and composting loos. The sauna is stoked up each afternoon with wood and water and you get a bucket of hot water from the sauna and use it with a micro pump to run your shower. All this was great - as as it should be in such a pristine and remote location. We really enjoyed the experience. Val cooked wonderful meals at night which we really enjoyed. The setting is as stunning as the pictures. Just below the tree line and set above a stunning small lake (where we swam after hot walks - though it was freezing cold!) and the hikes were absolutely gorgeous. The alpine meadows are remarkably beautiful. The owner and his sister were the main hosts/guides at the property. Both are mountain people - of few words - so often getting information from them can be a challenge. But this did not detract from a wonderful 5 days in this remote wilderness.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Cindy G, Owner at Mistaya Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

It was a pleasure meeting you and your family this summer and thank you for your review. I am happy that your family could come together from all over the world and spend some special time at Mistaya in the WildCat Cabin. The cabin is a place that our guests are able to come and be self contained and uninterrupted from the busy world. Happy traveling!

Reviewed 29 August 2017

I stayed and hiked at Mistaya Lodge from August 21st-25th and had a wonderful time. The lodge had everything you needed to make your stay a comfortable one. With a sauna, showers, and a beautiful view of the lake. The guides took us on hikes that were filled with all types of terrain. The guides knew what we could handle and what we struggled with and helped us through it. When we returned from our hikes, we were treated to delicious appetizers prepared by Grant. The Dinners were always spectacular and the deserts were out of this world. Each meal was better that the one before. I never ate so much and enjoyed my stay at the Lodge. If you enjoy hiking and seeing spectacular views of the glaciers and lakes, you will never forget Mistaya Lodge,

• Trip type: Travelled with friends

Oh thank you very much for this review! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and made such special memories!

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Last week seven of my women friends and I visited Mistaya Lodge for a fabulous four night stay. We took guided hikes through the Rockies each day. We saw glaciers, alpine lakes, waterfalls, rushing waters down the mountain side, beautiful wild flowers, and spectacular mountain views each day. The guides Bonnie and Sandra lead us at a perfect pace which afforded us the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful landscape!

The lodge was wonderful. Grant prepared delicious meals each day and provided us many choices for lunch. The facilities were clean and well maintained. We were able to relax in the mornings and evenings in the comfort of the lodge with great views both inside and on the deck. To top it off we had swims in the lake and saunas.

Highly recommend this destination.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Cindy G, Owner at Mistaya Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Thank you for recommending us! I am so glad you and your friends had fun and were able to relax (so important to just get away!) The Mistaya team and I love to hear that we were able to make this happen.
Cheers,
Cindy

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

Amazing experience even for non-hikers! The location is breathtaking and the lodge is heavenly. Amazed at the super friendly staff and the seamless operation they're running. Food was incredible and the guides accommodated my city-girl lack of experience with nature and ensured a great experience. Visit if you can!

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends

Hi city-girl :) thank you for posting! I am so glad that you came on an adventure with us. It is wonderful to hear that we were able to make you comfortable outside of your comfort zone.

Reviewed 27 January 2017

This was my first back country ski trip. My husband is a seasoned back country skiier and chose this lodge for me...and him (he had been to Mistaya before). From the staging area at the airport where we were greeted by Cindy and two of our guides (Lisa and Christian) to our last day, I couldn't have had a better experience. Upon arrival to the lodge via helicopter we were greeted by the owner and guide Dave. As well, the cook Grant who had some fresh cinnabon buns and coffee waiting for us. After a brief orientation, we were off touring where we had an Avalanche transceiver introduction. Everything was explained very well and I found the excercises we did with transceivers, shovels and probes very beneficial. The touring throughout the trip was tailor made for the guests. We had an 80 year old man who was able to go at his own pace with one of the guides ! If you would like to do half days of skiing, there is no pressure to be out all day. I appreciated this as I had sore feet/blisters from some ill fitted boots. The food was wonderful and the company of the other guests was great. If its your first trip touring or you are a seasoned back country skiier, I highly recommend Mistaya. Our guides were very safe (always checking snow pack and weather conditions) and our comfort and safety were a priority !

Room tip: The rooms are very similar. We had a double bed plus single bunk in the Mistaya room.
Date of stay: January 2017