“Ok, that's about it”

Golden Village Lodge
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Golden
Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

For $225 it was not worth it.

Room 214

The plus:

Easy access from highway. Wifi worked well, room was clean. Had new mini fridge with separate freezer component. Water kettle, microwave, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, flat screen TV. Mattresses were comfortable.

The bad:

The three queen size beds were on custom made platforms, and although the concept was good, the mattresses kept shifting, and all of us hit the platforms at least once. Bathroom seemed unfinished, lacked hanging rack/hanger. Also, fan fixture in bathroom was uncovered, wiring exposed. The kettle was on the table, but where to plug it in, as there were no AC plugs near the table. AC was old, but worked. Cigarette tray was right outside our window. Back window faces a hill that seems like it's going to swallow the whole building, it is very close. Not enough AC plugs. Towels felt like sandpaper, and not enough, knowing there were 4 of us.

The in-between:

Not a bad stay, but for the price, it should have been much better. If staying in area again, will try another motel, there are several choices nearby.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Pavi K, Owner at Golden Village Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2017

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate all the positive and negative feedback that you provided.
As for the mattresses shifting back and forth we will look into a stabilizer around the perimeter of the area so this problem can be avoided. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. With our entire property going through a remodel, there are a few items that are still being worked on. There will be a towel rack and clothing hook installed on the back of the bathroom door. The fan issue will also be looked into.

The kettle was not plugged in, however there are several plugs throughout the room for guest use. I do understand our AC unit is a older model. At this point I don't see the need to contribute to the landfill when things work perfectly fine. The reason why the cigarette tray was outside the window is because all rooms are non smoking and we do have sections were guests can smoke outside their rooms. As for the hill behind the window, well that one is on mother nature and how she formed the land and the property we sit on. I will see if I can do something about it. In all rooms there are 4 sets of towels, if you needed any extra my staff and I would have been more than happy to provide you with extra towels. I don't know why they felt like sandpaper especially considering they are all newly ordered. For some guests with delicate skin, I understand the feel of cotton can be bothersome. We have ordered new towels that address the needs of guests with this issue. The new towels will be a combination of 3 different materials.

I do hope you reconsider and give us a second chance. Our new Indian Kitchen restaurant will be opening soon and we will be completing the full remodel of all rooms in October.

Once again thanks for your feedback positive and negative. We will work hard to fix all the issues you mentioned.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 6 April 2017

We rate hotel poor to average. Renovation done, but cheaply. If you want to compete in today's field , you will have to do better. Had the water run 10 minutes before water temperature was warm enough for shower. Floor is very cold, beds are strange, sheet of plywood under mattress?

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Pavi K, Owner at Golden Village Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2017

Its not plywood. Thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed 6 April 2017

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 March 2017

This is an older model motel currently undergoing renovation. It was clean and the beds comfortable. There is a small pool which is welcome after a long trip to soak and relax. However because of renovations no breakfast was offered. The room had a Window aircon heater which is old school, but because it, like most other hotels in Golden, is just off the Transcanada highway, helped cover the noise of outside traffic...once you get used to the hum. Wifi was okay to good. The tv was good though limited channel selection. Overall good choice if they don't overcharge...much better than other bargain motels we checked and quite a bit cheaper than newer hotel nearby.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Pavi K, Owner at Golden Village Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2017

Thank you for your kind words. We are working hard to finish all the upgrades and open the restaurant. I am constantly trying to improve all quality areas of our property and value all feedback from our guests. I hope to see you again soon.

Thanks
Pavi

Reviewed 21 February 2017 via mobile

My dad, my sister, and I stayed for one night here. The rooms decor was modern and the beds soft but otherwise the hotel wasn't that nice. It was a overpriced, the heater took forever to start, and the door to the balcony was broken. Honestly if it was twenty dollars cheaper I would have given it 4 stars but at the price it is now I expected better! For a night it was adequate but next time I'm in Golden I'm going to go to another hotel.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Pavi K, Owner at Golden Village Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2017

Thanks for your feedback. We are currently in a property wide re-model. We are trying to have all our changes completed and corrected by April 1st. I am value your feedback and hope to have all the issues you mentioned corrected and welcome you back once again.

Thanks