“Dormitory-esque accommodations with great front desk help”
Review of Mountain Hound Inn

Mountain Hound Inn
Ranked #4 of 13 Nelson B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Dormitory-esque accommodations with great front desk help”
Reviewed 30 November 2011

The rooms have little to crow about — the shower did have endless hothothot water and great pressure — but provide good sleep, easy temperature regulation and the basics. It's cement block construction so nothing fancy here. Good value for the price...arrive late without a reservations and you can dicker some on the price (at least I overheard the front desk gal offering the room for less than advertised)! They'll even pump the meters for you out front and tack it on your bill ($8CAD/day or however long you have them do so) -- but check your bill for the correct charges on that! Continental breakfast is that. Head over to Oso Negro for really good coffee, great local scene and the Egg Sandwich for a tasty morning bite. Best Mocha I've ever had - you heard that right Seattlites!

Room Tip: Crack the window open for circulation, gets stuffy at night with the cement block construction. Nel...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I recently stayed at the Mountain Hound Inn after a long day of travelling. Each member of the front staff that I met was friendly and answered any questions that I had. A smile always greeted me upon entering the front door. The rooms were very modern and clean and the price was extremely affordable. The hotel is on Baker street, which is in the heart of all the restaurants and shops. My dog was welcomed and breakfast was served in the morning. I loved this hotel so much that I stayed on my way back as well. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Nelson!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 October 2011

A while ago while I was travelling through Nelson I lost my Iphone, which I had for less than a year, and thought it was gone forever. About a month later, I got a call from the owner of the Mountain Hound Inn, Dallas Wolbaum, saying that he had found it in the laundry room of his hotel and would like to get it back to me. The Iphone had been (likely) stolen and impossible to access, and Dallas went through the trouble to refurbish it, find my number, and contact me. He sent it to me via mail from Nelson to Toronto, where I live, completely free of charge! I was blown away by his generosity. It is not often that someone will go through the trouble of contacting the owner of an expensive Iphone, AND also pay the costs of shipping and handling to get it back to its owner that lives on the other side of the country! My Iphone could probably be sold for a good amount of money, as it is probably worth about $600, so if any other hands found it I probably wouldn't have gotten it back. I was convinced it was a lost cause, and was incredibly impressed with the generosity of this hotel's owner and will absolutely be staying at the Mountain Hound Inn if I ever find myself in Nelson again. (Which I'm sure I will, Nelson is an absolutely beautiful and amazing town)!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Aldergrove, Canada
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Title just about describes the Inn. Centrally located in the downtown core, the Mountain Hound Inn is a reasonably priced ($68.00 plus taxes for a queen bed) and comfortable place to hang your hat. Room was a little on the small size but if all you're looking for is a place to crash after a night on the town, the Inn fits the bill. If you are looking for more personal space, you can up grade for a few dollars more. For an older building, owners did a nice job in modernizing the rooms and the bed was quite comfortable --- made for a good sleep. Found the font desk staff pleasant and friendly. Besides the odd hallway traffic now and then, place was pretty quiet. Flat screen TV mounted on the wall, no outside space (patio). Parking is on the main street, so depending on check-in time, you are feeding the parking meter (free parking between 5:00PM - 9:00AM). If looking for a place for breakfast, try the Full Circle Cafe (popular with Local's). If looking for value, Mountain Inn fits the bill. If looking for more frills (and $$$ that go with it) your search continues.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 20 September 2011

My friends and I planned on making a trip to Nelson and were researching places to stay when we came across the Mountain Hound Inn online. We filled out my information on what I though was a harmless request for more info. I never received an email or additional info. and I didn't think twice about it. We ended up staying at a different hotel and 3 days later I had a charge from Mountain Hound Inn on my credit card. I called and spoke with the receptionist who was rude and no help to me at all. I asked to speak with a manager and was denied. I will never stay at this inn and warn people to stay away!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
MountainHoundInn, Manager at Mountain Hound Inn, responded to this review, 29 September 2011
Dear Jessica,

I am very sorry about your confusion. I was the person you were talking to on the telephone and as the manager, you were never transferred to a different person. Our booking process is very straightforward, as is our 48 hour cancellation fee. Your reservation was for a sold out night during our peak season. We had no other choice than to charge your credit card for the room. We had to turn away many guests who were wanting a room because we were holding the room under your name. On our website, you fill out all of your information, including your credit card information, and you submit the reservation, which is what happened in your case. Our confirmation emails are by request, and we're sorry if that was not made clear. We hope this helps clear any confusion you may have had, and we are sorry for your negative experience.