Mountain Hound Inn
Hume Hotel & Spa(Nelson)(Great Value!)
US$ 126
US$ 94
Cloudside Hotel(Nelson)(Great Value!)
US$ 111
US$ 105
The Adventure Hotel(Nelson)(Great Value!)
US$ 91
US$ 176
US$ 170
Hotels.com
US$ 134
Alpine Inn and Suites(Nelson)(Great Value!)
US$ 80
US$ 75
Kokanee Glacier Resort(Nelson)(Great Value!)
US$ 98
Villa Motel(Nelson)(Great Value!)
US$ 80
Orbitz.com
All reviewsthe main streetroom was cleanbasic accommodationsno elevatorstreet parkingfront desk staffbudget hoteleasy walking accesswould stay here againvisiting nelsondowntown areamuffinsbedsesquekettle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 May 2011

The beds were super comfortable..... that's about all I have to say that was positive about the inn. They tried very hard in their renos to make the space comfortable and inviting, but the cinder block walls and size of the rooms feel more like a dorm room - or prison. They should have definitely invested in renovating the bathrooms, as they were very run down. In addition, sound carries throughout the floor with ease. I could hear people coming up the stairs all night and could hear the couple quite clearly in the next room. At one point it sounded as if someone was in my room snoring!
Anyway, if you are looking for a cheap place to stay, you aren't going to spend any time in your room and you are a sound sleeper - stay here. Otherwise - don't.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Nutts2U
Reviewed 12 March 2011

Great place this review was after second time staying here. No better price! This place is great! Clean! Quiet! The only drawbacks would be the rooms are a little small and so are the T.V.s And they dont have parking. You have to park on the street.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 November 2010

We stayed at the Mountain Hound on Nov. 12th. And, in many ways it's a great deal. They really do have great beds with really nice duvets. Our room smelled super. Nice LCD TV on the wall. Room was clean and in good repair. Bathroom was dated, but also clean. And fridge and microwave. Room is smallish but very usable and well laid out. Our room did have a window for some light. But no view, as such. It was cool in Nelson (November), so I can't comment on the AC. And right downtown on Baker St. Front desk staff was very nice\helpful. As another review called it - "good basic accommodations".
Now the down side. They seem to have an issue with power outlets cause many things are unplugged or no outlest are available. Upon our arrival in the room, one of the bed lights was unplugged. To plug in the charger for my laptop I had to unplug the Microwave. Additionally, I noticed the emergency lighting in the stairwell leading from the lobby\reception to the second floor was unplugged. I'm no fire marshall, but I don't think that's the way it's supposed to be. They don't have wireless and will supply you with a network cable if you wish to have Internet access. But the cable we got had the tabs broke off on both ends and so the cable tended to fall out of either the wall or my laptop. Parking can be a pain. As I understand it, they have no reserved parking. You have to park on Baker St. which is metered parking (.50 cents and hour I think). We arrived on Friday afternoon around 3 and at that time, getting a spot in front was a royal pain. They do have two unloading spots you can stop in temporarily. If you supply the front desk with quarters, they'll plug the meter for you. A management response to another review seemed to suggest that potential guests are fully informed of the parking arrangements. We were not.
Finally, the reason that we couldn't recommend the Mountain Hound. Around 130 am the couple next door to us returned to their room. They turned on the radio fairly loud and the proceeded to have "fun" for at least the next 45 minutes. I assume the radio was meant to cover up the sounds of their fun. It didn't. Honestly, it was like they were right in our room with us. Our sleep was definitely impacted. For us, we could live with the minor inconveiences I note above. However, we want a good nights sleep and for us this experience would not allow us to stay there again.
All in all, the folks at the Mountain Hound really try hard and I believe their heart is in the right place, if you will. And their rates are very competitive. As my TELUS buddies say, they have a good value proposition. However, if you are considering the Hound, take some ear muffs or plugs, just in case.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2010

This is a great value budget hotel. The rooms were clean modern and basic... just what I would expect and more for such an affordable rate. Even offer muffins, fruit etc in the mornings. The location was central to stroll around Nelson. If you are looking for a posh hotel, this isn't it but if you are looking for great value - great spot!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2010

Small hotel situated downtown on Baker Street with charming little rooms. Without the frills and gimmicks of large chain hotels they definitely make up for it in quality of rooms and service. If you want a quiet relaxing stay, I recommend the Mountain Hound.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family