New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Hedi's Wine Bistro
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 24
Cuisines: Wine Bar, German, International, European, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We invite you to relax and enjoy a delicious dining experience in a cozy atmosphere. Our mission is to have you completely satisfied by providing the best service, best ingredients and a fantastic menu customized to your needs and likes
Blind Bay, Canada
“Wow, an amazing bistro tucked away in Salmon Arm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

My husband took me out for dinner last night for my birthday. I looked again on Tripadvisor, which I oftten do when trying to find something a little more special, and found "Hedi's Wine Bistro", Normally I would not go onto the site as both my husband and I are non-drinkers, but oh so glad I did. We decided to go for dinner to Hedis' Wine Bistro. I was surprised at the location as it was on the one-way street in Salmon Arm and I have passed by it many times without noticing it.,
We were met at the door and our coats were taken from us by the Hostess, and we were escorted to a lovely intimate table near the back. (If I were to have a preference, we would have like to have been seated a little further away from the only other couple there)

We opted on having the set 3 course gourmet meal which was paired with various wines, (we chose a wonderful percolated coffee instead)

Our meal began with a lovely camembert which was specially done by the chef. Our entree was a perfectly cooked snapper with a delicate white wine sauce, and lightly curried rice followed by crepe suzette. It was the first time I have had crepe suzette which wasn't flambed, none the less it was delicious. We had a choice of a flambed chicken for the entree, which we will definately try next time.

There was a wide variety of wonderful items on the menu, coq au vin, rouladen simmered in red wine, steak, fondue for two.....all amazing I am sure!

The service was friendly and attentive. The chef came out to say hello and ask about our meals.

We were pleasantly surprised to find that passes to the movie, (almost next door) were included free with the meal!!! As it was my birthday and we were planning on going to the movies, it was a real bonus. Apparently this occurs the first three Tuesday before Christmas!!

Thank you Hedis' for making my birthday a memorable one. We are from Blind Bay, only a 20 minute drive, so will be coming a little more often!!! Especially for special occasions.

• Visited December 2011
3 Thank Abnormel D
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Scottsdale, Arizona
“Good schnitzel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

We ate at Hedi’s on the recommendation of the owners of the Inn we stayed at. We enjoyed our meal very much. I started with tomato soup and my husband had garlic prawns. For my main I had jaeger schnitzel which was yummy and my husband had halibut which was perfectly cooked. There were plenty of vegetables and delicious potatoes on the side of each dish. Since it was not busy the night we were there we were able to talk to Hedi (who works the front) while her husband prepared our dishes. We learned all about their Octoberfest celebration which sounded like much fun.

• Visited September 2011
London, UK
“Quirky little bistro, home-style food was hit and miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Staying in Salmon Arm for a night during a driving trip, we went to Hedi's on a Thursday for dinner after seeing it was the top choice on TA. Have to say it was a mixed experience - but it certainly was memorable!
First off the place was completely empty and the owners looked surprised we showed up. We were a little doubtful, but ventured in nonetheless. We were the only customers throughout the night, so we did receive very friendly and personal service, especially with choosing the wine. There wasn't any atmosphere to speak of, though the wacky music they played (what I can only call 'generic European folk') did make us laugh.
We knew this was going to be a 'different' dining experience when the bottled water they brought us were mini Nestle bottles of lemon-flavoured water. What restaurant serves that?
Some of the food was good, others were ho-hum. We enjoyed the free garlic bread, but the roasted garlic starter we ordered wasn't roasted properly and was still hard, and the smoked salmon platter came, bizarrely, with sliced strawberries and hard-boiled eggs. For mains, I hear the halibut was good but too salty, and the beef was great, but my seafood pasta was a disastrous mess of bland, floury sauce.
I feel bad as the couple were genuinely trying hard and were very friendly, and I admit I expected too much from the reviews I read. This certainly was no gourmet restaurant. Go expecting home-made food and warm service, and you will not be disappointed.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank londoner_sylviah
Calgary, Alberta
“Classic food and friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

Hedi's is owned and run by a European couple who have Old World friendliness and charm. The menu is classics: a text-book Salad Nicoise with unique touches; roast lamb perfectly tender with delicious sauce; and German chocolate cake to lay down sweet memories. Excellent value for money, and complimentary glasses of port to round out a very satisfying night out.

• Visited August 2011
Portland, OR
“Our Best Dinner in Canada”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

My wife and I had dinner here recently, during a two-week vacation in British Columbia and Alberta, Canada. Our dinner at Hedi's was the best one of our trip. Hedi and her husband, Chef Rainer, are German ex-pats operate this cozy restaurant in downtown Salmon Arm. The two of them were extremely friendly and stopped by our table several times during our meal to check and see if everything was to our liking. It certainly was, the food was delicious and the presentation artful. We shared the Organic Salad, which was excellent. My wife and I had very different entrees. My wife had the Pork Tenderloin and I had a Lamb specialty. We asked Hedi to recommend a wine that would go well with both entrees and she guided us to a wonderful Merlot that was a perfect match. For dessert, the Chef said he would prepare something special for us - it was the Hot Cherries Flambe, which was a perfect finish to a very memorable meal. Thank you Hedi and Rainer, if we ever get back to Salmon Arm we will definitely see you again.

• Visited July 2011