See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 July 2016

We just had the best experience staying at the spirit bear, I can't say enough good things, this place felt like home wish we could of stayed longer. Not quite sure of these bad reviews because our stay was quite opposite. The hosts were amazing and very accomodating. We have stayed at many B&b's and this one exceeded our expectations. We had poached eggs for breakfast that were perfect, place was very clean, the setting, location and ombiance was great, I think some people should just stay in hotels.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Redmonster455
Terry W, Owner at Spirit Bear Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2016

Thank you for your kind review. You are always welcome to stay with us! Please come again sometime.
We try to make each guest experience a positive one.

Reviewed 7 July 2016 via mobile

I waited a little while before doing this review as I wanted to be fair.
The good things are the location and the rooms although they are small and have no TV and one shared bathroom. The beds are comfortable.
I am not a big fan of B and B,s and this one did not live up to expectations.
We were unable to check in before 5 pm as both hosts work elsewhere full time.
We were two couples who checked in for 2 nights. I arrived first and was met by Eva. She quickly showed me the room and the bathroom and then said she had to leave to pick up her two dogs. When she returned I asked if we could sit outside in the lovely courtyard after a day travelling and waiting since 12 noon to checkin. The response. Oh not really as its not for guests and I have a visitor coming at 6.30 and need to use this area myself. We did arrange for my wife and I to sit there so long as we left by 6 pm. Eva then proceeded to conduct some sort of work interview with her visitor in the courtyard.
As we were going out for dinner I wanted to ensure that we had the code to get back in. I asked at least four times and still did not get the entrance code until we came home that night. Luckily we were not too late. We met Terry for the first and they did make us a cup of coffee for all of us when we asked.
In the morning I was offered eggs, how would you like them? I asked for poached. The response was oh is everyone having poached as we only have a big poacher. I had two fried eggs instead.
The next morning we were informed that we were having pancakes for breakfast. Bad luck if we wanted eggs. They do have one choice of cereal some fruit and yoghurt. Wasn't offered eggs to us but she proceeded to cook eggs for herself and her husband!
The two dogs had the run of the house and I don't particularly like dogs sitting on my feet whilst eating my meal. They are small inoffensive dogs but still.. The most dangerous thing was that they placed a large board across the steps to and from our room to keep the dogs downstairs, which the guests had to step over. Bad luck if you forgot or didn't see it. We were not warned about it..There are 18 steps from the ground floor to our rooms and it is quite a struggle with luggage.
The second night we came home at 8.00 pm. No one home except the dogs! No welcome light just a radio on for the dogs I think. There are no areas where we could make tea or coffee or get a drink so we all went to our rooms. About 10 pm the dogs started barking at someone knocking on the doors outside. One of our group was quite scared. I finally found a light switch for downstairs
Just getting back to sleep when our hosts finally came home at 10.45pm with dogs barking again. We really felt like intruders in this place not paying guests.. The host living area is not seperate and their bedroom adjoins one of the guest rooms. My wife was hoping to watch some of the tennis on the TV but we were informed that the TV in the guest area only played DVDs.
The area for guests is a big open room with very few facilities a lounge a few books and a non working TV.
All in all it seemed like this was just a part time B and B and that we were just an inconvenience although they were more that happy to take our $500 when we left.
This place obviously works for some people and maybe we just had a bad experience.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim L
Terry W, Owner at Spirit Bear Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2016

Thank you for your feedback. It is unfortunate that you did not feel welcome. As we live here we did have other commitments during your stay. Both the code to the door and a drink area was quite obvious in the Great Room. We left the door unlocked for your convenience so that you wouldn't have to worry about a code, nor is there a curfew.There are cold drinks and a coffee/tea machine that all our guests are welcome to.( in the room with very few amenities as you mentioned) Perhaps you did not notice it. It was quite clear to us as well that you are not a fan of dogs or B&B's. Information about the dogs, shared bathroom, tv's etc. is provided on our website. Perhaps a hotel experience is more to your liking.

Reviewed 31 May 2016

Room was cozy. House was large and beautiful. Good proximity to Manitoba street.
Terry was a fantastic host. But Eva made my girlfriend cry.
(Storytime: on our first morning we slept in and missed breakfast. On our second morning our hosts were still in bed at 9am when we came down for breakfast. We didn't want to wake/bother our hosts so we helped ourselves to some granola and milk. This was our first visit to a B&B so we didn't know the rules so we were probably at fault here. Later that morning Eva admonished us for it. Unpleasantly. Then my gf cried. But she also cried in the movie 'Room' when Old Nick yelled at Jack so I'm not sure that's saying much).
Also the airbnb app said the room was $100. I called in advance and confirmed this. But when I arrived Eva and Terry told me that it was $125 and that the $100 quote was likely due to AirBnB giving me the price in US dollars.

Room Tip: We chose the Fairy Lake room because it sounded better. But the Grundy room is better (bigger and closer to the shared washroom).
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Noah S

Thank you for your feedback Noah. Just to be clear, you requested breakfast for 11:30, which would be considered brunch and the food we set out for you went to waste as you did not come downstairs until 1:00 pm. Also, we had not been advised in advance of your religious/dietary needs so we could accommodate you better. We are unaware of any B&B that would accommodate breakfast that late. Breakfast for the second morning was not confirmed by you as you were in your room all evening and we did not want to disturb you. It takes awhile to get used to B&B's so we hope your next experience elsewhere will be more pleasant for you both.

Reviewed 22 August 2015

We stayed here for 3 nights in the slightly bigger room, Grundy Lake. Eva and Terry were both extremely welcoming and we warmed to them quickly. We have a 16 month boy who is very lively and they were extremely good natured to him as well. They went above and beyond in allowing us a little space in their fridge for our sandwiches and even babysitting so we could go out for a drink. The breakfasts were all incredible - waffles/quiche/bacon..... yum..... On one night they lit the fire pit and gave us a glass of lovely red wine - bliss! The only reason we haven't given it 5 stars is that the room was a little hot (it was a record breakingly hot day though to be fair) and there was no air conditioning (although they were kind enough to provide a fan). There is also a train that passes nearby in the middle of the night which woke us up (though fortunately not the baby) on 2 of the 3 nights.
I would definitely recommend this place to anyone wanting a lovely B&B that is conveniently located and does the best breakfasts in the world!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2015

We stayed here for one night because we had a wedding to attend. Eva and Terry are very friendly and welcoming when we checked in. The building is beautiful and very large. The bed rooms are a decent size and very clean. They served such a wonderful breakfast in the morning. I would choose to stay here than at a hotel any day, definitely a better price and experience. This was our first bed and breakfast experience and it was great!

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple