“Disappointed”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

A lovely setting for lunch but on the expensive side for the portions served and the wait staff looking after our table was abrupt, impatient, unkempt, arrogant and gave the impression that he would rather be doing anything else in the world than looking after our table. The menu choice seemed to be only salads or pasta and the salads that most of us chose were the price of a large salad but the size of a side salad. I’m sure I will return at some point but will certainly not be ordering salad and will hope that the waiter has found a job he actually enjoys because waiting tables isn’t working for him, the restaurant or the patrons.

Date of visit: April 2018
5  Thank Stainless8589
marrca, General Manager at Marca on the Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Thank you so much for your valuable insight I'm sure you meant the waiter was very attentive and took care of you in a timely manner as myself and my kitchen staff were paying close attention to your party of six ladies that after noon. In regards to our offerings for lunch , the menu is geared around the afternoon lunch time crowd that needs a delicious lunch in a timely manner so we have offered a different menu in the afternoon to make it easier for our guests with less time on their hands, I'm sure if you needed a different option we would have been more than happy to accommodate you and your party. Please when you do decide to return to marca ask for me in person and I will ensure that you will be taken care of by myself personally and make your experience an even better one.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We have been here many times but this was a bit of a disappointment. The prices have been jacked up quite a bit. A half pint of draft beer is $11.00!!!! Talk about shocking. The food was mostly good with the exception of the mushroom risotto, way too much salt. Again pricey...$26.00 for a veggie rice dish. We have no problem paying for great food at a fine restaurant bit marcas did not meet that standard on this visit. Bottom line...prices down or ramp up the quality...don't skimp and gauge to pay for the renos and the rental condo.

Date of visit: March 2018
3  Thank robsX3425XO
Reviewed 8 December 2017

I want to like this place...I really do. It has a lovely view of the lake and it has a very welcoming decor. I have eaten here several times and honestly I find the food overpriced. The food is well prepared and thoughtfully presented but not wonderful. The table we sat at was right next to the phone which seemed to ring all throughout our meal. By the end of the meal my head was ringing too. Expect to pay $35 for a lunch special. I keep going back hoping for a better experience but...it doesn’t seem to happen. My bottom line....average food for fine dining prices.

Date of visit: December 2017
2  Thank jazzycarolanne
Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

Had a fantastic dinner everyday they have different menu features so it’s always changing , the new chef is fantastic, very creative , I had a shrimp appetizer that melted in my mouth and the lamb was tasty and can’t forget the amazing dessert , Thank You chef David

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 29 November 2017

All 4 of us have been to this restaurant multiple times and one of us lives within walking distance. Previous visits have been lovely and so our "birthday girl" selected this as her choice for a dinner celebration on Saturday November 25th at 7 p.m. She even checked the menu online in anticipation and loved the choices and scope of the menu. What a disappointment! Our server, George, greeted us warmly and presented us each with very small menus which looked like the wallet the bill usually comes in. Inside was a flimsy piece of paper, on the right side of which was the drinks menu and the left side was food - appetizers at the top and entrees on the bottom 2/3rds. Not much selection!!! George explained the menu was in transition which was why it was abbreviated. Why would they not keep the old offering until the new menu was fleshed out, or at least phase it in? Birthday girl commented that the webpage should be updated to reflect the abbreviated menu and since there were so few choices, the food better be superlative. George assured us it would be, that they had acquired this great new chef from Turks & Caicos who was a master at what he did. Turns out, not so much. The first item I spied was the $55 rib eye steak. What??? My husband later noted it was a 16 oz steak. Who orders that in a fine dining establishment? Birthday girl also wondered where all the pizza choices were. George advised that there was a pizza as a special - a pizza with venison. What? You have so few entrees to begin with and the only pizza in a restaurant that was well-known for its delicious pizzas is venison? At this point it was starting to feel like we were in a Monty Python skit and we discussed whether or not to leave. Birthday girl overruled the vote of the three of us so we stayed. The three others ordered veal parmigiana (my husband's favourite) and I ordered mussels which, although an appetizer, according to George would feed two. Hmmm. Don't think so, but I'll never know because the sauce was so spicy that my throat began to close after eating two mussels. I sent it back and ordered a Caesar (misspelled Ceaser on the so-called menu) salad which was made with spinach leaves instead of romaine. It was tasty, however, and George comped it. As for the others' veal parmigiana, they all agreed the al dente spaghetti was as undercooked as the thick slab of veal was overcooked. It came with absolutely nothing else. In consolation, we were given two (not four) raspberry creme brulees, which apparently were delicious. I finished off my salad with a coffee which was so weak it tasted like brown hot water. The whole experience, with the exception of George who was trying his best to placate us, was so horrid it became laughable. It explains why there were so few diners at prime time. It's almost like the owners are trying their best to lose customers. At one point I wondered aloud if they're using the restaurant as a tax write-off, because surely if they continue in this vein, there will be no profits. While some of our party may give them another try if they get their act together, I most certainly will not. Note to George: find a job where your customer service skills match the product you're providing.

Date of visit: November 2017