“Great Food in a Beautiful Setting”

Yu Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #70 of 514 Restaurants in Richmond Hill
Reviewed 4 March 2018

Have visited here for dinner and also for dim sum. The dishes are always very fresh and very tasty. They make some great stuff out of oversized lobster and crab. Very wide menu. Once had a 15 lb lobster and 12 lb king crab made into a variety of beautiful dishes for a 10 person dinner.
Have gone here for dim sum a few times in a month. Tried a variety of great dishes.
Eel rolls, har grow, siu mai, grilled octopus tentacles, can’t go wrong.
The service is superior and served on nice china. Very enjoyable meal. Gets very busy on weekends and large parking lot is packed.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 22 January 2018

Great services, comfortable environment, authentic southern Chinese cuisine, not as pricey as I thought.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 10 January 2018

This was for a birthday dinner with a party of 5. We had a hard time deciding on which combo to choose from, but I'm glad that we settled with the Lobster & King Crab Combo, added a geoduck (served two ways; sashimi & fried) and a bowl of soup (the combo only came with 4 soups). There was plenty enough for the five..we had leftovers.

I've been to the seafood restaurant on sliverstar blvd in scarborough (I won't mention that name) and the experience at Yu Seafood is way different. It was a quiet Sunday night (arrived at 5:30pm) and there were a few tables occupied.

Atmosphere - quite for dinner.

Service - the lady that was serving us was quite mouthy (not sure if it was Joanne, but that's what the receipt had). Ex. My family doesn't like to waste food (and especially for the price of the meal, I'm obviously going to eat everything I'm served). There were several of the small fried fish (白飯魚) on the plate and the lady was going to take the plate away. My brother quickly grabbed his chopsticks and collected the remaining. She made a nasty comment on the lines of 'are you honestly going to eat the crumbs? there's just a tad left!' She was like this for the whole dinner. Besides her and her mouth, the service was average.

Food - My family and I really enjoyed the sashimi geoduck. It was not at all fishy (to my surprise). The fried geoduck was cooked in some salty spice (like chinese 5 spice/?). The soup was really hot and flavourful. The meal came with 4 cold appetizers, which I had before, so they weren't anything special. The crab was cooked two ways, steamed and fried. The steamed crab was really sweet. I liked the presentation of the fried garlic crab legs (it was stacked like jenga). The lobster was standard...like any fried lobster is. The vegetables were also average. There was also fried rice with tomalley (green stuff in crab/ lobster). It was alright.

Would I eat here again? Highly unlikely due to the cost of the meal (expensive).

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank tiffaniewong
Reviewed 6 January 2018

1. Yu seafood decor is very nice and pleasant. Hope they can keep it that way.
2. dimsum is 2x above average. Level of MSG is acceptable.
3. service is attentive.
4. price might seems a bit more than average, however the food is good. You pay
what you get.
5. food presentation is really nice that helps your appetite.
6. I would recommend this restaurant to my friends.

people often say if you want to check how they prepare their foods and if they are clean. then go visit their washroom. Hmmmm...this time I didn't get to visit their washrooms, so may be next time will do so.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 23 December 2017 via mobile

The food is pretty decent, what you would expect for dim sum.

Service is extremly terrible, waiters and waitresses stand and hover around your table and stair at you, makes you feel really uncomfortable, now I know how a fish feels. The servers walk around dragging their feet like they are wearing slippers or shoes that are 2x too big for them, they also lean on the walls or table while waiting for something to do...Really you might as well pull out a chair and sit down with everyone if you're going to do that. Mc Donald staff has more class than this place does. The only class this place has is the decor, everything else tells a hole in a wall type of service or street vendor food service.

When the food came, the servers would place our food down on the lazy suzy, and then the server would leave their tray of food on our table while servicing other tables. Another thing wrong with this picture.... You're suppose to carry your tray to other tables that you are serving....Out table became the serving table for half the restaurant. They might as well have sat us in the kitchen. I've been working and trained in the food industry for over 15 years, this really is something. If I were to do any of these things where I worked, I'd either get written up or let go.

We had some food left over to pack home. We asked the server to bring us a take away container, before walking away from the table he was scratching his head and rubbing his nose, not really hygienic or professional. This place definitely needs a lot of training in etiquette and how to provide proper and hygienic service within the food industry.

Date of visit: December 2017