“Upscale Condo Resort in a Great location, great stay”

Solara Resort & Spa - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Canmore
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 February 2011

I am happy when I get to go out and experience the mountain scenery, whether it's for a day or for a week. I had the opportunity to stay at Solara before the New Year, and when we wanted to return to Canmore, it was Solara on our minds. It is a wonderful resort Bellstar has to offer!

Although the swimming pool, hot tub, and other things Solara will have to offer in the near future, it did not make/break the experience. Both times when we walked through the doors, we always says "WOW!!!". Just the experience of getting off the elevator to the floor of the room, it is tastefully decorated. My husbands favorite part about Solara, it has a car wash station -- which he always comes back to the suite soaked!

The parking lot is a little confusing, as I recalled last time we stayed, we just needed to drive close to the underground parkade door, and it would automatically open. This time, we had to swipe the key. It made more sense from the safety stand point, but it was a little more hassle needing to pull out the room key every time. I was hopeful that it was only key access only in the evening/night time. But, Solara does put our safety first, which is respected.

The first time we stayed, we got upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite, which was a "premium" suite. It was wonderful! It was hard to go back knowing I would never be able to stay in that suite again, but it's was a pleasure to return regardless. This time, we got just a regular 2 bedroom suite, and it really was nice anyway! The MAJOR difference was the size. The bedrooms are smaller in the regular suite, but the bathroom was still really big!! I LOVE the shower in the master bedroom. Who wouldn't like a shower with a nice rain shower head and body jets, and a hand held hose!?!! I wish I could take the shower home. The AVEDA amenities are great also, the mint in the morning is rather refreshing!

The actual general area of the 2 suites sizes did differ as well. The only weird thing that I realize, the suites can fit 6, but all the eating utensils in the kitchen can only accommodate 4. I think they need an extra set (but I wasn't traveling with a lot of people in both scenarios)

The views are wonderful from Canmore, it doesn't matter where you stay. Both times, I was NOT facing Three Sisters, and still really enjoyed the views, and large Balconies (the premium suite had balconies off the master bedrooms!). Sure, when I looked outside, it was other Solara buildings, or the Lodges at Canmore, but when you look up, I was in shock with the mountains. I don't see lots, but what i see, i loved!

I can't wait to go back to Solara, but I think I will try other Bellstar resorts until all the amenities are opened - to get the ultimate overall experience!! This is a new brand of hotels I've recently discovered and just fell in love with.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cheekee

Reviewed 20 October 2010

For their first visit to Alberta, my husband and I booked a room for us and his grandmother and aunt for one night Solara. Having previously stayed at another Bellstar Resort (Blackstone Mountain Lodge) and loving it we decided to give Solara a try. This resort is still under construction and will house a spa, pool and other amenities next fall. We asked for a two bedroom condo with a great mountain view. We were booked into our room by Joanna who said that we should check out the room and if it wasn't suitable she would move us to another. We loved the room but wondered about a better view with the nice spa tubs they talk about on the website. She moved us to the top floor with a fantastic view of the Three Sisters Mountains and even offered to take apart one of the king beds to make it two doubles which was done in a matter of minutes. Customer service at this resort is fantastic from the front desk (thank you Joanna!) to the maintenance guy. The resort itself still needs some work though. There are a lot of marks, chips and scuffs on walls which makes it seem older than it is. Our room (403A + 403B) was huge and gorgeous but had a few issues. There was a noisy water heater in one of the closets in the bedroom that should be walled off. The deadbolt on the door of 403A didn't close and the sink leaked in the kitchen. The lock and sink wasn't a deal breaker but I feel they should let people know about the noisy water heater. The resort is a little confusing. Not may signs telling you which elevator to take or which corner to turn to get to certain areas. It is situated in a great spot though, a short drive to the downtown area and not far from the Canmore turnoff. Will we stay there again? Maybe when all is finished next year...

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Callaker
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Surprised at check in that we were upgraded from the 1 rm suite to a 2 bedrm. Quick easy check in.

Underground parking.

Knew ahead of time that hotel was not fully finished in construction but was no real problem with us. Would be good to have access to the pool, the holistic spa & area for upcoming cooking classes when finished.

Quiet, clean & walking distance to town.

Access to main area for use of BBQs.

Just like a furnished condo with all kitchen ware, dishes, washer & dryer, large dining table , tvs, fire places & living rm.. Master with ensuite as well another washrm for the other room. Internet available if you have own laptop.

Room cleaning if wanted. We didn't bother with our 2 night stay.

Would come back as we could cook meals & stay in comfortably if we wanted a break away from dining/going out.

Good to see they are eco conscious. Ex.: the option not to wash towels everyday & the cork flooring.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank redlimelily
Reviewed 9 October 2010

Had an excellent stay for 3 nights in mid September while visiting the rockies. These are brand new luxury vacation rental condo units that come with a full kitchen and bathroom. The resort was very easy to find when you get into Canmore and it's just a short drive away from Banff. Late arrival is no problem as the front desk is staffed 24 hrs. The property is still under construction but looks like all the units are complete but the amenities like the pool, restaurant, and spa won't be complete till 2011. It's probably why the rates were so low. We booked it for under $90 + tax per night during a sale but looks like their current rates are $139 / $169 for 1 and 2 bedroom units. We booked a 1 bedroom but upon arrival they gave us a 2 bedroom.

The 2 bedroom unit we had (and all other units too I'm sure) was just luxurious with 2 large flat panel TVs, granite counter tops, cork flooring, stainless steel appliances, leather couch pullout bed, a large master bath with separate tub and shower, a second bath with tub/shower, washer & dryer. See photos. There is a large balcony would be great in the summer. The free wifi was very fast. The kitchen was stocked with cookware, dishes and cutlery which was great for cooking your own meals to save some cash. Nearby there are 2 grocery stores in the same plaza, a Sobeys and Safeway, I think. These units are strictly self cater so no daily cleaning from housekeeping. They will exchange towels and empty trash daily but will do cleaning only every 4th day. the unit was spotlessly clean when we arrived. The bed was ultra comfy. The master bedroom was actually a bit cramped with the king bed and a big leather chair in it.

The only slight inconvenience is that there's currently no elevator to go directly from the indoor parking garage to some floors of the building we were in. You'd have to exit the garage, go outside then through the main lobby.

All in all we couldn't have been more satisfied with our stay and would definitely stay there again the next time.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank unclephil12
Reviewed 5 October 2010

I'll be the first to offer my compliments to the facility. We were very surprised. Beautiful rooms (one room apartments actually) with fully stocked kitchen and everything we needed and more. very comfortable bed

At this time, there are no facilities such as spa, swimming pool and restaurants. But there are restaurants in Canmore. we didn't figure on needing a swimming pool in late September anyway, and could have just as well gone to Banff hot springs if we decided to....

The room rates were great, take advantage! I'm sure they will be different in the next year when the spa and pool are on-line.

Now, expect to make your own bed and clean up the kitchen. Housekeeping staff comes in daily only to empty trash and provide dishwashing supplies, freshen towels. I guess they will do more for extra fee. But this was just what we needed and wanted.

We are going back next year....

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family