“Best looking Resort in Canmore”

Solara Resort & Spa - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Canmore
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 July 2016

We stayed at the Solara Resort and Spa in Canmore for 3 nights. Our unit had 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and a fully equipped kitchen.

We had a problem when we first booked on the Internet We had made reservations for a 3 bedroom unit, but they had a glitch with their system and our reservation didn't go through. They said they tried to call, but no one did because we had no messages on our phones (cell and home) and by email. When we noticed the reservation didn't go through, we made a great effor to find us something else and they did.

Solara in Canmore is located outside of the village, at a 15 minute drive to Banff's National Park and a 45 minute drive to Lake Louise. You can find everything needed close by (grocery stores) and Canmore offers many activities (which we did in Banff instead of Canmore),

There was also a housekeeping service provided, but besides doing our bed, I don't know what they did.

Our only disappointment was that our balcony (which was very large) was right over the outdoors air conditionning system for the whole Resort so, since the Resort is large, the unit was large and it was very very loud. We expexted to have quietness, but instead, we had the A/C unit 24/7. We couldn't keep our windows open since it was so loud.

If you go, don't ask for a unit in the inner part of the Resort, as to be by the street. I'm pretty sure it's quieter.

Room Tip: Unit overlooking the road is best
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 July 2016 via mobile

We loved staying in Canmore at the Solara Resort and Spa while touring around Banff and Lake Louise. The condo was so nice and comfortable. We enjoyed the town of Canmore also - lots of cute shops and fun restaurants.
Our condo had beautiful views of the mountains from the balcony and from every window. The kitchen was was furnished, and we had 2 fireplaces and 3 tv's!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2016

Your initial look at this "hotel" will be shock at how nice it is, but that's on the surface. Once you start to settle you'll see that it likely hasn't been cleaned in a month. The dust in this place could make a quilt. When I pulled back the duvet to go to bed, there was someones hair all over the sheet, and also a perfect lipstick kiss right on the duvet. It's not a difficult task to clean a room, but apparently it is for the staff at the Solara. The room itself was large and spacious, it was a great place for 6 of us to stay - in theory - as it has three large bedrooms. But if I go back to Canmore, the Solara would be the last on my list. Even the couches were all torn, the table was sticky, the glasses were all dirty and had to be washed before using them. For how much you spend on a night here, I'd expect more. There was also a wedding party who decided to wake everyone up at 3 am, and while I'm always down for a good party, it literally sounded like they were in my room. So I'd say the walls are thin in that aspect.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank sarbear6r
Reviewed 19 July 2016

It should have dawned on me when the front desk told me I had a room assigned but they refused to tell me whether it had a view that I would be in trouble on this one. They told me that I could "pay more" for a "better view" but that no other rooms were available. I decided to chance it, and found out that in this area of Canada where you are completely surrounded on three sides by mountains, that the only view from my Solara room was into the living rooms of the condos in the next building. There is no food at all at this place, and it's not actually in downtown Canmore; it's down the block from the auto parts store and the Ford dealership, in the 'burbs. They offer free bikes because you can't actually walk anywhere. Other problems: we asked several times that the hotel resupply things like soap and toilet tissue, I had to finally stand at the front desk until they went and got some. And they wouldn't honor the price we got from booking.com when we checked in, the only explanation being that their "price was their price." We made two more trips to the front desk -- just what we wanted to be doing on vacation -- and finally got them to alter it. Altogether, although the room itself was fine, I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Shain
Reviewed 18 July 2016

This resort was nicely situated a few minutes from the town and from the highway, totally quiet at night and had all the amenities you could ask for. We had a 2 bedroom/ 2 bathroom suite facing the three sisters mountains. It had 2 small decks with one having a BBQ. The rooms were well laid out and decorated nicely with a modern yet mountain style. There are so many options on outdoor activities once you get here, the week goes by quite quickly! Banff to the west and Kananaskis Country to the east and south.

Room Tip: Facing the mountains from a top floor is best although all rooms are terrific!
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends