“Fresh Snow with Sun Dogs”
Review of Grouse Mountain

Grouse Mountain Admission
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Just 15 minutes from downtown Vancouver, Grouse Mountain attracts locals and tourists alike. During the summer, guests enjoy hiking, Zip Line Adventures, paragliding, sightseeing, lumberjack shows and more. In winter, we have skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, sleigh rides among many other activities. Grouse Mountain also features several different dining venues, from café style at Lupins to casual dining at Altitudes and fine dining as a guest at The Observatory. We also have a refuge for endangered wildlife.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 4 December 2017

Today I went snow shoeing with a friend and there is lot of fresh light snow on the mountain. We even saw double sun dogs ( parhelion). Be aware of huge lineups as they changed the cable for gondolas and the next few days need to run them in half of capacity as a manufacturer's requirement

Jacki C, Front Office Manager at Grouse Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2018

We're so happy to hear you had a great day with fresh snow and sun dogs. I've worked here for many years and have never witnessed a parhelion, so you should consider yourself very lucky! We thank you for your understanding in regards to the tram lineups; as you mentioned, operating at half capacity after the cable change was a manufacturer requirement to ensure safety. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we hope to see you on the mountain again soon!

All reviews
in 91 reviews
"free shuttle"
in 147 reviews

Reviewed 30 November 2017

If it wasn't closed for the season I would have done The Grouse Grind hike up Grouse Mountain, but at the time I went in mid-November, it was closed. Taking the Skyride gondola we went from fairly green scenery, climbing to an abundance of snow covered ski hills.
There was lots of room on the ride up, but I was warned by some of the locals this changes drastically during the ski season. Up top was a mix of snow and ice so at that time of year I would recommend hiking boots (What I wore.) or even snow boots. The Eye of the Wind was closed for maintenance, but people could still make the trek up to the base and along the rim of the mountain, which was well worth the views. I would also recommend eating at the restaurant Altitudes Bistro. (See my separate review. ) The snow machines were working hard that day which provided some good artsy photo moments. Visitors, if your timing is right, will get to see the 2 orphaned sleepy bears lounging in their hibernation area pre-big-snooze. Majestic animals and a lot bigger then I would have imagined. I was very happy I got the opportunity to see them since I'm not sure if they are in and out of their hibernation area during the winter. Maybe call ahead if that's what you're going for. Throughout the area are a number of wooden sculptures. Keep a lookout not to miss any. I want to return in the summer and hike what grousemountain.com terms , "Mother Nature's Stairmaster."

Reviewed 30 November 2017

On arrival we were told that not all 5 zipline trails were open. A bit of a downer, but still went ahead. A bit of a trek between zip lines, but what a fantastic adrenalin rush. Not the best with heights, but the guides are very reassuring. Paid for a Go Pro, but guides forgot to switch it on. Guides were also very knowledgeable. A couple of good Aussie blokes.

1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed 30 November 2017

I visited here in mid-Oct 2017; visibility wasn't great so all rides except the Skyride (CAD45/pax) were closed - unfortunate as I was looking forward to zip-lining! I don't suggest buying the tickets beforehand until you've checked the weather forecast since it's not crowded up there anyway. There's also a webcam of the view from the mountain top that you can see on their website, so that should help guide your itinerary. All eateries were closed.

I wasn't prepared for snow in October (3-4 deg C), but managed to trek around for 2 hours in a pair of jeans, Adidas sneakers and 2 layers of clothes (sweater + waterproof trench). With a bit of patience and walking, you'll be able to spot the grizzlys coming out of hibernation. All in all, a beautiful place that would have been much better appreciated in spring or summer.