“Extremely over rated”

Ranked #1 of 982 Restaurants in Richmond
Dining options: Takeout
Neighbourhood: Steveston
Reviewed 9 October 2017

We were so excited to come here!! We heard great things, but unfortunately we didn't feel the same. They don't have any inside seating, no washrooms and you wait about 30 mins, just to order, then you have to wait another 30-45 mins to get your pizza, which you have to eat in the park where seagulls are so trained, they dive bomb you for your dinner. Well it's nice to see that SOMEONE likes the pizza.....

We thought both pies we ordered were overpriced and not up to our expectations. We spend almost $60 and would never go back. The first pizza had arugula, fig spread and chicken on it. The fig spread looked like something from the litter box and had a weird texture, and the chicken pieces were really scarce and small. The other pizza had shrimp on it and instead of normal pizza sauce, they used some sort of overpowering red fishy sauce which after two bites is all you could taste.

Ummmm ya, I think not, not worth the price for parking.

Reviewed 7 October 2017

In a strange twist of fate, I not only actually ate pizza during my recent work trip, but I actually had it twice.. sort of.

Go ahead.. look at my reviews. I don't remember ever doing any reviews on pizza places, regardless of where I was.

Yet.. here we are. Lets get started, yes?

So, my brother in Toronto suggested that should I return to Vancouver with my parents that I take them to try Steveston Pizza in, well, Steveston Village. The price tag was a little bit nuts ($25 for a 12 inch is the entry fee) but he said it was worth it. Tripadvisor said it was worth it. So, on a Saturday night, right before a glorious sunset, this is exactly where we ended up.

The place itself didn't quite look extraordinary - in fact, I think I may have passed by it the last time I was waiting for Mega Sushi and didn't even raise any eyebrow. Located in the unit adjacent to the main kitchen is a small dining area. It ain't pretty, but it has what you need - plates, napkins, seats, water cooler, and a washroom.

Wanting only to try a piece or two, I opted to order something that was.. fairly boring. Canadian with Back Bacon. Pretty safe bet, and when I took my first bite, I was blown away.

The crust was perfectly crispy. The cheese and meat wasn't overly salty, nor was there a sickening amount of grease oozing out of the slice. All this, during rush hour crowds and no special instructions. Even a night in the fridge didn't stop it from being the best pizza some family members ever ate.

Any time you get unsolicited praise about pizza from a bunch of 60+ year old Chinese people, especially something without fancy ingredients, means you're probably onto something.

I didn't expect to fly 3,500 KM to eat and praise a pizza, but hey, it somehow happened. Certainly not what I ever expected to do.

Now, if the story ended here, it would be a fairy tale ending. Of course, I had to do something to screw that up....

Because it was good damn good, I told my wife, who promptly instructed me to pick some up for her as I was going to head back to Toronto in the next few days. So, the day before I left I purchased three more pies - Mist, Japanese, and another Canadian.

The Mist I had right there and then, as family was with me and I wanted to try the Smoked Salmon. All went well, with it being well received, particularly the use of sweet and tangy flavours in the sauces. The Japanese and Canadian, I put in the fridge for a few hours, and then transferred to Dollarama plastic food containers for transport.

What I ate when back home in Toronto was nowhere as good as what I had eaten while I was in Steveston.

Now, for some reason, the pizza was kind of soggy. The Japanese used white meat for their chicken, and that didn't exactly refrigerate very well, ending up kind of dry. The Canadian no longer had that simplistic taste I experienced in BC, but rather had the taste of fancy Cheese Whiz.

I'm not sure if all of this was due to my handing of the pizzas, or maybe something was different this time because the owner was present handling the actual cooking.

Overall, I'm going to err on the side of "I screwed up" and go with my initial gut feeling.

If you're in the area, hunt down one of the delicious offerings from Steveston. Just.. don't put it into a plastic box and into Toronto bound luggage.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

So full of toppings, absolutely delicious. We thought we needed two $25 pizzas for three people but they are so loaded - a gourmet treat.

Reviewed 9 September 2017

I recently tried Steveston Pizza for the first time when visiting the Richmond area. I’d read many rave reviews about the unique pizzas, and was really looking forward to finally trying one of the seafood pizzas.

The pizza was great. We ordered “The Mermaid”, and the seafood was cooked perfectly, which I was very impressed by.

But I was rather dismayed to see the dining area they have right next door. It was dark and dirty. Tables hadn’t been cleaned, the walls and floor were filthy, and there was a huge pile of garbage that clearly hadn’t been emptied in ages, complete with flies buzzing around!

In addition, they don’t offer cutlery to customers, just chop sticks! What kind of pizza place doesn’t have cutlery? How am I supposed to eat a pizza with chopsticks?

It would be great if their dining area was of the same quality as the food.

When you have pizzas that literally go up to a cost of hundreds of dollars, it’s not unreasonable to expect a nice dining area, and basic necessities such as cutlery to be provided!

1  Thank Eggplantikus
Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Tucked away in the heart of Steveston Village is a tiny Pizza take out joint. The menu is beyond comprehension. It will satisfy and demystify every foody out there. The prawns and lobster are fresh, the presentation is something out of a magazine. Where ever you live, worth the drive, you will definitely go back with your friends. Take lots of photos because their pizzas are a work of art