“Pleasant environment and decent food”

Chef Hung Taiwanese Beef Noodle
Ranked #88 of 957 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Chinese, Taiwanese
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed 26 April 2017

I am not quite sure to rate this very good or average, almost like it is in between. The price is not cheap for the amount of noodles you get on the general standard of Asian noodle house. But I do like the location and the restaurant is quiet and clean. The champion beef noodles is good but not wowing me though. The fried parsnip "pancake", on the other hand, impresses me. I love the vegetarian version. The tofu with thousand year old egg is so so.

Reviewed 22 February 2017

As Ramen is to Japan, so is Beef Noodle Soup to Taiwan. We were so happy to find a three-time winner of Taipei's annual Beef Noodle Soup Competition in the Aberdeen Centre shopping mall in Richmond. Having spent many weeks doing business in Taipei, I had the pleasure of sampling some of the favorite Beef Noodle places there, and Chef Hung's does not disappoint.

Not only do you get to choose five different types of noodles for your bowl, there is a spicy broth option as well. The beef is wonderfully flavorful, whether in chunks, from the shank, or thin-sliced. And, there are a nice variety of "side" dishes to make it a multi-course meal.

Clean, modern décor, good service, great food. Worth going out of your way for a fine and fun dining experience.

Reviewed 19 January 2017

We arrived around 12:45 and the restaurant was not busy at all; may ¼ full.

My spouse and I ordered the following:
• A14 – Flat noodles with ground pork ($8.95)
• E1 – Marinated sliced beef wraps (8 pieces for $8.95)
• E11 – Chive, minced pork and shrimp dumplings in broth (8 dumplings for $8.95)
• D13 – Deep fried squid balls (7 balls for $6.45)

For A14, you have a choice of 4 noodles – flat, thin, rice and vermicelli.
We chose the flat noodles. The noodles were slightly doughy and chewy. I don’t know if this is the way it should be. I found out that the noodles we ate were not made in-house. The minced pork sauce was slightly sweet.

I didn’t really care for this dish, even though it tasted okay after adding some chilli oil.

The beef wraps had a flaky crusty and somewhat tasty with the hoisin sauce.

The dumplings were okay but the standout was the soup broth – very flavourful.

When I saw the deep fried squid balls on the menu I was expecting something similar to the Japanese takoyaki balls – battered pieces of octopus in ping pong sized balls. It wasn’t what I expected – as these were dense balls of minced fish (an assumption) and minced squid deep fried. In comparison, the Japanese takoyaki balls are not dense and slightly fluffy. The squid balls tasted ok and were good value.

We ended up taking home 5 pieces of the slice beef wrap and 4 dumplings.

The total bill with taxes came to $34.97 before the tip.

Rating Breakdown:
• Food quality & taste – average; 3.25 out of 5 rating
• Service –. I can’t remember the last time I didn’t have to ask for my tea cup to be filled. The food arrived within an acceptable time frame. The service was very good and the servers were attentive - 4+ out of 5 rating.
• Portion size / value – slightly above average – 3. 5 out of 5 rating

The overall dining experience rates 3.5 out of 5; above average / good but not a “4 star very good” rating.

Notes & Tips:
• This restaurant is located inside Aberdeen Centre
• Extensive non-alcoholic drink menu
• Credit cards accepted
• Clean washroom. Separate handicap washroom but the hallway is a storage area making access impossible as the hallway is already narrow.
• Seating for 75 plus customers including a private function room
• Normally plenty of parking in the parkade but depending on the time of day and date; eg. Chinese New Year, parking could be a problem
• Check the restaurant's website. There are 2 other Lower Mainland locations and others in the US and China.
• There are at least 4 other stand alone restaurants inside Aberdeen Centre, in addition to the food court.
• You can travel to Aberdeen Centre via the Canada Line subway system; get off at the second stop after crossing the bridge from Vancouver into Richmond.
• This was our 2nd time eating out this week. The last time was 2 days ago at another Chinese restaurant – Z & Y Shanghai Seafood Cuisine. See my review.

2  Thank Bottomshelfhockey
Reviewed 18 January 2017

Went there for lunch with my wife and her sister. I ordered the special soup (I think it's A4 on the menu). The soup itself wasn't bad but some of the beef chunks tasted like it's been out there for a while. It's not that it tasted bad, but it did not taste fresh. On the good side - the gentleman who took our order was wonderful and very polite. Servings were enough for two people. Place was very clean and located inside the maill itself.

Reviewed 1 January 2017 via mobile

Taiwanese style food located in the Aberdeen Centre. The noodle soups are a good size serving. We shared one between two and had a selection of small side dishes. The radish cake, chive pancake and the pork pancake were huge. There were two pieces per serve. We had it cut up into two, each portion was still substantial in size. The pork hicks were tasty though it was mostly skin and not much meat. The squid balls were the most disappointing of the dishes we ordered. It's definitely good tasty food at a reasonable price.