“Late dinner”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Arrived late in Richmond and decided to try this restaurant. Was informed to order quickly as they were closing in half an hour. Hence quick service. The drunken chicken was good. The dumplings had a nice flavor but the skin was thick. The pork belly was lightly flavored. The Chinese broccoli in soup with garlic cloves was very good.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

We arrived right at 5 PM and got a nice table in front of the exhibition kitchen. It was entertaining. The menu is huge and illustrated with large color photos, overwhelming. Our server fortunately suggested a combination diner for two, something we usually never order. However it turned out to be a wise choice. We got soup and three moderate size dishes, all good, ending with a sweet dessert.
I was pleased to see the majority of guests were Asians in big groups of 8 or more. They knew what to order while we were confused. A group of 18 was seated just about the time we finished. We would enjoy returning to try more dishes. This is the real deal.

1  Thank Malice6
Reviewed 3 September 2017

When we walked in for an early dinner, there were 5 or 6 tables with customers; within 10 minutes, the restaurant was packed! We are so glad we got a table at this fantastic Chinese restaurant. Our servers helped us navigate the menu with some spot-on recommendations. We could not have been more pleased!

Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

Best meal by far during our few days in the Vancouver area. This place is an upscale chinese restaurant specializing in authentic Shanghainese foods.

The XLB, dongpo rou, rice cakes, eel in the stone bowl and sautéed pea shoots were all truly delicious and among the best we've had anywhere in the world including in China.

Wish we lived closer instead of thousands of miles away...

Reviewed 30 August 2017

We had dinner here for 6 of us, 4 adults and 2 kids. It's our first time so we just picked random items from the menu. The restaurant has been in Richmond for a while, at least5 years but I have never been but we decided to go because I was told by a co-worker that the food is quite good.

FOOD:
Steamed Chicken Wonton Soup - OMG this was soooo tasty. When it comes to chinese style soup that is like clear like a consomme broth, they did it so well on this one. Full of flavour BUT the salt was so well managed. This is a MUST ordered.
Xiao Long Bao Steamed Dumplings - again, delicious. No complains what so ever on this one.
Braised Pork Hock - I will preface by saying that I do not enjoy pork hock what so ever. I can't understand why people love eating all that skin and fat. But in light of being at a new restaurant, I tried some of the lean meat and it was so flavourful and tender. The meat just melted in my mouth. I didn't touch the fat and skin but my parents and my husband thoroughly enjoyed it.
Deep Fried Cod - Cod was delicious. SO GOOD!
Fried Noodles with Chicken - We didn't quite enjoy the crispy noodles that kept breaking into noodle crumbs but it was an interesting dish. We will most likely do a soft noodle dish next time.
Red Bean Fried Sweet Dumplings - this was interesting. I didn't really enjoy them but my kids loved them. My mother and I found the dough to be too dense. It would have been better if it was a bit fluffier like a donut.

Our bill came out to $140 which isn't bad at all considering we had ordered 2 orders of the Xiao Long Bao, extra white rice and some soft drinks.

SERVICE:
Great service considering more asian restaurants aren't always service oriented. Staff were quick to respond to hands in the air, quick to come back with what we asked for and yes...they all spoke english which is a bonus!!!! Realistically speaking, there are many restaurants in Richmond where employees can't really speak or understand english so this was really awesome. Kudos to the owners for the restaurant for placing value on this so that people who need english speaking staff can be served.

VENUE:
It's snug on table/chair placement and at first I couldn't help but ask myself if it was really necessary to have everything so tight together. But within an hour, the place was completely packed. Keep in mind that this was a week night dinner. The restaurant is well kept and decor is nice. Accessibility is possible but tight. We didn't check out the washrooms so I have no idea on how accessible the washroom are.

SUMMARY:
I cannot wait to come back here. Definitely bringing my in-laws to try out this place as the work on the dishes are so good.