“FOOD DIVINE but service very very average”
Review of Atico Cocina - CLOSED

Atico Cocina
Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 24
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Four of us had dinner on Saturday night - we did not have a voucher but selected extensively from the menu. The cooks at this restaurant should be proud of themselves...the dishes are divine, tasty and very fresh.
Unfortunately the waiting staff bring the restaurant down to very Average! They need to up their came if they want people to repeat custom.
We had a lovely sweet waitress but she was totally overwhelmed by the demands of the customers. Service was very very slow. Even payment for our meal was very slow.
I actually feel sorry for the cooks because the food is lovely.

Reviewed 26 April 2013

There are so many great places to eat in Auckland I would definitely give this one a miss! Wednesday night and place was busy. We were 2 tables away from the band so very difficult to hear anyone else talking. 50 minutes wait for our cocktails (despite asking for them at least 4 times) which when they arrived were terrrible. My mojito was, I think, missing the sugar and the rum and made with flat soda water (?) so I sent it back and ordered a wine instead. Food was also a big let down. The menu was limited and our ordered food took ages to arrive - when it did it was very average. Would definitely not go back and writing this so no one else wastes their money and time here.

2  Thank Charlotte M
DJTJ0, Owner at Atico Cocina, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2013

Dear,Charlotte.
I am sorry we didn't meet your expectations, our Wednesday night was a big special Cuban night with great music for our customers, that is part of the Caribbean experience, if customers find the
I've music too loud we always try our best to accommodate them somewhere else away from them. We remembered you but we understad that you have a voucher which has limited options for dishes (Set menu). Our Menu is quite diverse and cover various area of the Caribbean. Set menus are great value for money but have lomit

Reviewed 25 April 2013

A friend and I went there for lunch for an all you can eat Tapas deal on a sunday. The location is lovely - with the building having a really interesting and peaceful feel to it. The food was great, I recommend the Pollo Achiote or chargrilled chicken breast. Looking at their website they had a greater variety of dishes on offer when we went in there so don't feel like you would be restricted by variety.
The only complaint I have is that conversation with the manager felt a little awkward, but he was very helpful explaining what food was - I imagine if we were regulars this would not have been an issue so if you like the food it could easily become a 5 star review.

1  Thank Elliot O
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We went with two friends who had eaten there before. I was excited as I LOVE carribean food and was thrilled we had found one in Auckland. When we got there, I had mingled feelings. Its at the back of Victoria market - a good, fun area. There are other good restaurants and bars around. But as we walked into the place, it didn't quite do it for me. The big tables were a little too big. It was sparse. There was no-one at the door to tell you what to do, even though there was a 'wait here' stand. We walked up to the bar where there was only one person serving who didn't actually acknowledge us. A waitress happened to walk past, so we asked if we could sit outside. It just wasn't happening for me.
So we did find a table outside as the weather was the best thing about the evening so far. Although she was extremely pleasant and helpful (in the end), I felt the service was lacking. we oredred our drinks - and waited just a little too long. We ordered our food - which again came a little too late. I was extremely dissapointed with the limited menu - especvially as it had few of the dishes I associate with my time in St Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago. Though I cannot say the food was bad, it was not anything special.
Would we go back? Hmmmmmmm........................... don't think so!

Reviewed 16 March 2013

4 couples is always a great dinner night and I chose Atico because the menu looked very interesting and for the atmosphere. The food is very good but the service and management let this place down. It certainly wasn't busy but service was poor..certainly not a well oiled machine. Ran out of a pretty standard NZ beer and also soda water! Who starts a Friday night without basic stock to see you through. Paying the bill was the icing on the cake. 4 couples you know the bill will be somewhere around $600. 3 couples paid and i was the last to pay. Imagine my sunrise when i get presented with over $400! Hmmm $1600...i don't think so. Much mucking around and 10 mins later and apologies about $147. I had a bit to drink and I think they were trying it on. Again the food and atmosphere make this place but i couldn't go back based purely on how badly the place is run. A real shame!!