“Yes! A proper French restaurant in Auckland”
Review of ile de france - CLOSED

ile de france
Price range: US$ 12 - US$ 26
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: ile de france serves authentic French cuisine coupled with an extensive selection of wines from all over France. The atmosphere is rustic, cosy French style creating a lovely warm ambience in which to enjoy truly French cuisine made from fresh local ingredients and created by Chef Gilles Papst. French cuisine just as it should be, and just as you would eat in France... the ideal place to meet with good friends and linger over delicious food and wine.
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This place is very relaxed and understated but the food is fantastic and truly French. Four of us went, had four courses each - breads and terrines then an entrée, main and desserts/cheeses. Every dish for all us was a hit - delicious sauces, magnificent terrines, tender meats, delightful desserts. I could go on and on. There was an interesting wine and non-alcoholic drinks list to go with it and excellent service. They made it a truly memorable occasion for us. We will be back and have already recommended Ile De France to many people. If you are a foodie, this is a must do. Prices are not crazy either.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Have been here many times and have always been so happy with whatever dish it is I've had - the chef takes a lot of pride in his food and it shows in the way it is always perfectly cooked and beautifully seasoned. I must agree with a previous reviewer, the béarnaise would have to be the best in NZ! The first time I had it was with a steak, which was devine, and between the steak and dipping my chips, I quickly got through the sauce and asked the waiter if I might have a bit more (only because it was so good I just had to be greedy)! Shortly after I noticed the chef whisking away, whipping up a fresh béarnaise to order with a big smile for me while doing it!
Whenever possible I always try to work in a meal at Ile de France when in Auckland - always a highlight!

Reviewed 17 August 2013

The restaurant has large floor area, high ceilings and plenty of glass, as such loses a bit of intamacy and a non french feel about it. However the menu takes you strongly down its French roots. Good selection of entrees including a stunning and generous snail dish. Scallops also perfectly prepared and presented. Seafood main special was delightful. We stayed true with a wonderful french chablis from a reasonably priced wine list. Good service throughout the evening.

Reviewed 9 May 2013 via mobile

French food with a slight nz twist we had clams in a garlic broth/sauce accompanied with the best hand cut fries/chips I have ever had delicious. The dinner menu had more classic French dishes so would like to try these next time!

Reviewed 17 April 2013

Lovely authentic French restaurant doing typical French cuisine with NZ terroir. Have the sharing platter, but beware it's quite large for two people, better maybe for 3 or more. The steaks are always awesome, served with what is definitely the BEST bearnaise in NZ, maybe the world! Great wine list with a few NZ wines of course. Super cozy in winter, wish this place had outdoor seating in summer.