“Great location & atmosphere. Poor coffee and staff...”
Review of Manuka

Manuka
Ranked #3 of 50 Restaurants in Devonport
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

Manuka has a gorgeous ambiance and style, and is in a perfect location. This was the third time I’ve been here and the staff were always average, no smiles, looked like they didn’t want to be there... but this time they were quite rude (one lady in particular, I won’t name names). We ordered a hot drink each and the coffee was burnt and the chai latte was so strong with all spice and cinnamon, I couldn’t drink it. I’m normally fine with spice, but this was unbearable. I waited until there was no other customers at the counter (I didn’t want to be spiteful at all or make a fuss) and went up and asked politely if I could get it remade with no all spice or cinnamon on it. This was met with no eye contact, no apologies, no kindness... it was just taken from my hand and the waitress walked off. Wasn’t even sure she was going to remake it until I received back what was literally warm milk with a dash of cinnamon on the milk froth. Again no apology or explanation, just planted on our table and the waitress walked off again. Didn’t come back to check on us either to see if it was ok. I had one sip and didn’t fancy warm milk, so we just left. No thanks or goodbye either... Might want to work on customer service and chai latte skills, a shame for that to let down the whole place...

2  Thank Georgia R

Reviewed 16 June 2018

Visited Manuka with my partner on a fairly quiet night, food was good but not mind blowing, and service was much the same.

We were told to seat ourselves, so found ourselves a table and waited a few minutes for menus to come our way. Menu had a great selection of food, and in a pasta mood we went for the Seafood Linguini and Penne Pistachio. Both were pleasant enough, and felt like home cooked food. We felt that the sauce to pasta ratio was a bit off, with a hefty helping of sauce overpowering the meal - particularly in the Penne Pistachio which had a particularly strong white sauce. The chicken was cooked nicely in the Penne Pistachio, and the seafood in the Seafood Linguini tasted fresh, if slightly on the overcooked side.

Overall an alright meal, but nothing we couldn't have achieved ourselves as amateur home cooks. Service could have been more attentive, especially considering it was a pretty quiet night. We would give Manuka a second try, as slight improvement in a couple of areas would lift the standard noticeably.

2  Thank Lew_Alex
Reviewed 11 June 2018

We stopped here to eat a late lunch after sightseeing around Devonport. The staff was friendly and the outdoor seating was nice. Food was good. I had the mussels which were very fresh and nicely prepared.

Reviewed 3 June 2018

We had a late lunch here after a tour and then strolling around town. It was very good, and we were more than ready for a rest. I had the beef burger and my husband had the chicken burger. Both were excellent, and very large. We each took part of our meal back to the hotel, and ate the leftovers for dinner while packing.. Service was good and sitting on the sidewalk in the shade with a nice breeze was perfect.

1  Thank KateSC353
Reviewed 30 May 2018

Traditional Interior, friendly service, good meny. The chocolate cheescake is a delight.
Wonderful for a break from wandering around. Can highly recommend it.